Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 01:01 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
MY bank used to have 4% interest checking now it is 2.5% upto 25K but no new customers are accepted

sorry for the confusion

Here are new questions

1) Would you get mortgage if there is high possibility to sell it in 2-3 years and move to another state

2) Except for the 20% downpayment, is there another way to avoid PMI?

3) Am I qualified for HUD or something else as a first time home buyer? Is there an advantage with these programs?
1) only if I wanted to be a landlord
2) yes, with very specific lender no pmi with higher than 80% LTV. Otherwise you can avoid the pmi monthly payment by paying it all up front, but you still have the Mortgage insurance ,just without a monthly payment.
3) Probably, although some non hud programs are income limited, your income seems too high for most places. There are other hud homes where you can bid before investors. Some of these "first time buyers", or "city subsidies" would require you to live there for a certain amount of time otherwise have to pay them back. It is very specific to where you live.

Also if you are buying the property with the intent of appreciation, keep in mind if you sell it later though an agent, you can expect to pay more fees. Around here, it is typically 5%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 01:35 PM

951 posts, read 1,451,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post

2) yes, with very specific lender no pmi with higher than 80% LTV. Otherwise you can avoid the pmi monthly payment by paying it all up front, but you still have the Mortgage insurance ,just without a monthly payment.
Would the interest be higher?

Quote:
3) Probably, although some non hud programs are income limited, your income seems too high for most places. There are other hud homes where you can bid before investors. Some of these "first time buyers", or "city subsidies" would require you to live there for a certain amount of time otherwise have to pay them back. It is very specific to where you live.
I am in Houston area, where can I find these types of programs?

Quote:
Also if you are buying the property with the intent of appreciation, keep in mind if you sell it later though an agent, you can expect to pay more fees. Around here, it is typically 5%
5%?? I thought it was 3% for buyer and another 3% for the seller agent? What is this 5%?

Old 11-26-2013, 02:09 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,651,329 times
Quote:
5%?? I thought it was 3% for buyer and another 3% for the seller agent? What is this 5%?
What they are saying is.... if you buy a home for $100,000 and later on you want to sell it and the commission is 5% = $5,000. So $105,000 to break even. There are no guarantees in real estate. You could could take a huge loss in 2 years when you go to sell. If it were me, I would continue renting.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Would the interest be higher?
2a) yes
2b) no

I am in Houston area, where can I find these types of programs?
Local Bank
Real Estate Agent
Loan Broker
HUD Website

In my area it is 5% so I guess in your area it is 6%

Here is another thing to consider, if you can get a steal by paying cash, it might be worth considering. Get a $100k property for 80k, wouldn't be a bad idea, but you could very well also buy a money pit.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:57 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
MY bank used to have 4% interest checking now it is 2.5% upto 25K but no new customers are accepted

sorry for the confusion

Here are new questions

1) Would you get mortgage if there is high possibility to sell it in 2-3 years and move to another state
Sure. Why not buy a nice reasonably priced condo in a great location, take an 80% mtg., and if you need to relocate in 2/3 years, make your money work for you by renting it out for an amount that will pay your expenses. You obviously don't need anything ostentatious. Advantage: no capital gains after 2 years; and by renting it is an investment property and your expenses are deductible. You do need some deductions don't you ?

2) Except for the 20% downpayment, is there another way to avoid PMI? No.

3) Am I qualified for HUD or something else as a first time home buyer? Is there an advantage with these programs?
3. With your income of $143K/yr., I doubt it. The restrictions may not be worthwhile.

4. Make your money work for you.

5. Don't close 48 credit cards, just cut them up and keep the two best that have low interest. Closing them will hurt your credit big time.

6. One major issue I believe you left out: your age. ?

7. Don't scrimp on homeowner's insurance ! you never know when you will need it. And if you end up with renting something, it's deductible.

8. Get a financial advisor asap.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:10 PM

951 posts, read 1,451,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
3. With your income of $143K/yr., I doubt it. The restrictions may not be worthwhile.

4. Make your money work for you.

5. Don't close 48 credit cards, just cut them up and keep the two best that have low interest. Closing them will hurt your credit big time.

6. One major issue I believe you left out: your age. ?

7. Don't scrimp on homeowner's insurance ! you never know when you will need it. And if you end up with renting something, it's deductible.

8. Get a financial advisor asap.
In the zipcodes I am looking, 77063 and 77096 it is so hot that it is impossible to get a discount for cash purchase

But I will do it anyway to save from interest

I will maximize 401K

Old 11-26-2013, 05:07 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
In the zipcodes I am looking, 77063 and 77096 it is so hot that it is impossible to get a discount for cash purchase

But I will do it anyway to save from interest

I will maximize 401K

A "cash" discount on a home purchase is not a good reason to not get a mortgage. Sorry, but I don't follow your reasoning. You still did not say what your age is? Makes a huge difference in financial planning sir.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
money, u save money. and u have no debt. and the property will sell for a fraction of a buffed out retailed to the max of a new house.
sadly most americans have forgotten what paying for stuff is. they just sign for stuff. to the average american debt is meaningless, the great lie of the 21st century.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:55 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,943 times
Quote:
So how much is lender's fees approximately?
The costs to finance a purchase will be:

Lenders origination fee
Points or discount fees
Lenders Title policy
Appraisal

Costs will dependent on lender and the price of the property, but for a $250K home you could expect approx. 2% of the purchase price.

In addition most lender will require you to deposit in escrow approx. 6 months taxes, 3-6 months insurance and if an HOA is required 3-6 months HOA dues.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
A "cash" discount on a home purchase is not a good reason to not get a mortgage. .
In some markets, people would rather take cash, close quickly , and not have to worry about appraisals, inspections, and underwriting. Cash can be tool to get something at a cheaper price, but the OP believes , not in his market. The cash can be used to acquire the property then the OP could either seek I HELOC or Cashout Refi.

Shortsale and foreclosures are something that also move a lot quicker with cash offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages