Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:59 PM

529 posts, read 2,393,361 times

Advertisements

So they went ahead and actually purchased a home? (and got financing?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 04:53 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,257 times
Nope. She is looking around at 400-450,00 homes here in SoCal. While I haven't asked directly, I gather their combined income is in the neighborhood of 40,000K.....and that is on the high side of guessing. Their lease is up in March and they HAVE a two bedroom apartment...and while the babies room will require them switching around their 'office', it is totally doable. They are already fighting about money and they don't even HAVE a house yet, OR the child. I see this as an explosion waiting to happen. Everytime she looks at a place I tell her, well....you need to be seeing if you can get financing first....I told her minimum requirements...I have suggested financial counseling, I dropped hints given the information here that she better prepare to stay put. A sweet person but VERY deluded about how the world works. They grew up with parents with money, and just haven't quite figured out that you start at the bottom and move up.

Thank god the sub-primes bellied up cause otherwise I am sure she would have had one of those!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:26 PM

177 posts, read 923,587 times
One of those parents with money MUST be contributing something because in no way does 40k turn into 450k.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:49 AM

919 posts, read 3,183,800 times
I know of people who make less than we do, who have brought homes for this amount but they had alot of cash and were only finacning maybe 100 grand or so..depends on what you have as a downpayment maybe.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:57 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,480 times
The older I get, I realize how many deaf ears there are out there. I was opining recently to my friend who is in the midst of a divorce about how to best restore a standard of living starting at 48 years old. I offered him an opportunity to buy in with me on a property to hold on to the for the next five years -there is a lot more to it than that...nevertheless...we looked at the property and all he could say were the negative things about it in terms of the "looks" of it in general. Finally, I said, 'I may be just an old woman here but I am doing quite well and I got that way by making some pretty decent decisions as to building wealth. Listen up or shut up!' I have had it with trying to help friends see the light, so to speak. If I am not living proof it can be done than there is no proof!

Old 12-20-2007, 02:13 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,257 times
They have no downpayment....zero....zilch....the parents may help a bit with that but I don't think they have THAT much money judging from what I saw in the family photos. I am going to tell her I am not going 'home shopping' anymore with her until she talks to a professional so we are not wasting anyone's time. Hopefully she will then get the message!

Old 12-21-2007, 12:12 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
They have no downpayment....zero....zilch....the parents may help a bit with that but I don't think they have THAT much money judging from what I saw in the family photos. I am going to tell her I am not going 'home shopping' anymore with her until she talks to a professional so we are not wasting anyone's time. Hopefully she will then get the message!
Most people can't relate to, therefore don't pay much attention to anything "hypothetical". Advise her to try this if she really wants to do some "reality testing". Go ahead and pay off their current vehicle, buy the new car, have the baby, and see if in addition, they can put $3000 to $3500 in a separate bank account consistently on the first of every month for the next year without missing a payment. This is going to be pretty close to what they need for a mortgage plus taxes, plus insurance plus maintenance. If they can survive the year they will prove they can afford it AND they will have $36K to $42K down payment next year.

I would be surprised if they could incur all the other (car, baby, etc) expenses and still succeed in being able to keep up with the "fantasy" mortgage. At least if they can't, they will have learned a lesson about money management without having to learn firsthand about FORECLOSURE!

Old 12-21-2007, 06:26 AM

919 posts, read 3,183,800 times
geez..what are they doing for their old age? We save alot in 401ks for old age, cut coupons and then there is the college nest egg too..my husband makes great money and yet we seem to just make it here...We never bought a home over 180,000....would not be able to sleep at night!

Old 12-22-2007, 05:38 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,422 times
We would love to have a house also, however with the market the way it is that will not happen, my husband refuses to get a loan that is 3 times his income, because now adays jobs are not as secure as thay used to be, I will say a prayer for your friennds that all works out well,.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages