Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 10:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,719 times

Advertisements

Hoping there are some professionals lingering on the forum who can offer me some help or insight.

Our scenario can be confusing:

- Filed a Chapter 7 BK and was discharged January 2012

- Did not re-affirm the 1st or 2nd mortgage on our home at the time; 1st mortgage has been current since the BK, 2nd was defaulted on in 2010, charged-off by bank and sold to a 3rd party collector, then discharged in BK, credit reports are all updated and 2nd just shows as discharged in BK, not delinquent or settled, etc.

- The above mentioned home became a rental same time of discharge, its been a rental for the past 2 years. Rental income reported on 2012 & 2013 tax returns, home as rental pays for itself and we also earn income off of it.

- My dad helped us by a new home in Carlsbad, Ca in February 2012, we used his credit to get a new mortgage and borrowed a large down payment from another family member. My husband and I were added to the title along with my dad about 1 year ago.

- With property values up significantly in our area, we want to refinance the loan, not only to remove my dad, but cash-out the large down payment to be paid back to our family member.

Purchase Price/Original Financed Amount: $643,000

Current Outstanding Loan: $403,000

Current Value: $860-$900k

Need to cash-out $250,000

Basically, we need a loan for $650K, income and DTI are in-line to qualify.

I know with FHA and new loan limits for San Diego County, we can't cash-out all the money. Spoke with a broker who has a portfolio lender that will do a 70% LTV mortgage.

Here is my question:

Can we refi if we are on title, but not on the current mortgage?

Will the unsettled second mortgage on the rental be an issue with FHA or any other lenders? I have been given conflicting answers by different mortgage brokers.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 06:17 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal_Mama View Post
Here is my question:

Can we refi if we are on title, but not on the current mortgage?

Will the unsettled second mortgage on the rental be an issue with FHA or any other lenders? I have been given conflicting answers by different mortgage brokers.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
But you said FHA limits are too low, so why are asking about FHA.

Can you refinance, probably, it is just a question on how much you can take out and at what cost and interest rate.

Brokers will tell you different things because they work with different lender or they want your business and tell you what you want to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages