Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 02:40 PM

96 posts, read 225,948 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice on how to get to zero down, or at least below the typical 20% down for second loan? It may be used for rental property, BUT what if we chose to move into it and sell our current home? And what's the best way to search for competitive interest rates and lenders?

TGIF -

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 09:31 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
You're talking about two very different things.

1. You plan to live in the home as a Primary Residence, or use it as a Second Home - - not a rental/investment property. As a Second Home, the property must be a reasonable distance FROM your primary residence, and you kinda need a reason to be using it as a 2nd home, ie., plausibility. Not an extreme amount of investigation from lenders in this area, but just be conscious of that.

LOW DOWN (payment): Primary Residences can be purchased with Gov't loans, such as USDA, VA, FHA, with little or no down payment. You must assert that you will live in the home, and there must be a reasonable commute to your job from the property.

Second Homes: No Gov't loans, but you can go as little as 5% down on one Conventional Loan. Second Mortgages (80/10/10 and the like) are generally available only on primary residences.

*** I'm unclear as to what you mean by "20% down for second loan" in your post. Second HOME? Second MORTGAGE on a property to be purchased?

If the home is to be an investment property you are looking at a 20% Down payment at a bare minimum and more expensive terms.

There are quite a few threads regarding optimal ways to find a good lender, with good advice from many members. Use the Search This Forum box in the upper right. You will see a lot of well-reasoned opinions on all sides of the fence.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:11 PM

96 posts, read 225,948 times
pfhtex:

This is for a second home. It will not qualify as a vacation home as it is less than 50 miles from our primary residence. So it will be considered investment property.

I am looking for the best way to go about getting funding for this second home, which is actually a condo in a Great part of Dallas. We are putting 20% down with whomever will approve the loan. My wife and I both have good credit, so I can't imagine this should be too difficult.

There are a million brokers, credit unions, banks, loan originators with whom we can go with. My question is…

How do you find the most honest and fair parties out there?

One big bank I spoke with said they are only taking risks on single family homes, but not condos. They said this without knowing the loan amount, our credit, or anything info for that matter. I said thanks for the time and hung up.

My wife and I both have good credit and the amount needed to be borrowed is nothing substantial; under 200k.

A little input would be great, guys!

Thanks

Old 09-19-2014, 01:27 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Why don't you call pfhtex he's in Texas. Based on what you've posted, you're going to need 25% down.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:29 PM

19,439 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Why don't you call pfhtex he's in Texas. Based on what you've posted, you're going to need 25% down.
I think that's brilliant advice!

Old 09-19-2014, 03:52 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
I'm in the Pacific Northwest now. Can't change my name. I should've thought this through....

But I lived in Dallas forever and still work there, and know great people in the business, IMO at least.

Shoot me a DM - I don't want to pester you - - and I'd be very happy to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages