Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 02:17 PM

428 posts, read 811,178 times

Advertisements

So I am moving end of October, my house is up for sale but going nowhere, and I am nervous has heck contemplating leaving my house here in MN while I will be moving to WA and leasing a home for a year; crunched the numbers renting my house and it stinks, but winterizing my house and leaving it vacant will cost me $4000+ a year until it sells (insurance, heat, taxes, snow removal). Sigh.

So I am considering offering CONTRACT FOR DEED as a way to maybe help my house sell fast but I know little about CFD other than I am the banker. I do own my house outright, no mortgage, which I assume makes a CFD easier than if I still owed on my house. But what is the typical term (length) of a CFD? typical amount the buyer pays as downpayment? Are the buyer's monthly payments calculated typically as if it was a 30 year loan but then with a balloon payment at the end of a e.g. 5 year CFD term?

One thing that concerns me--- if the buyer defaults after a year, I am out the Realtor's commission for the sale, which does not feel right on my end. Unless the buyer's down payment at least counters what I pay for my Realtor's commission.

I guess I am wondering if I should consider a CFD as a seller to get my house sold to be somewhat done with selling my house. I want so much to move and not be in WA while worrying about a vacant unsold house in MN. My house is an odd one to sell-- a duplex but only 1 bedroom in each unit; I even am thinking if it does not sell that I might see what it costs to convert the upstairs back to the 3BR it used to be making my house a 4BR Single Family home again.

Thoughts? Help? Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 11:41 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Advice: Consult a good real estate attorney before you do anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages