Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2014, 02:10 PM

30 posts, read 39,532 times

Advertisements

For over 16 years I put cash gifts for birthdays and Christmas or whatever, in an envelope, or just left them in the card and filed it away. Each time I got it it wasn't really enough to do something big and I really couldn't think of anything small I wanted. I pretty much forgot about it until I had to move and started collecting money from card envelopes and books. I gave my brother almost $9000 to use as part of his down payment for his house. Some of the cash he deposited had "birthday" written on the actual money! It's a longstanding thing in this country, people using mattresses to store money. I always kind of liked having it available and not having to shlep out of my house to go to a building and fill out paperwork to gain access to my money. At home I could have gotten it 24/7, no dollar limits to how much I could have withdrawn in a day, no hoops to jump through. Now he's telling me that his mortgage won't accept it because they can't "source" it. What kind of nonsense is this? Do we have to hand over all our money, make numerous trips to hand it over to a corporate entity to hold for us, then have to fill out paperwork and "request" our money back? I'm stunned. It's my money, no one else's. I should be able to give it to anyone I choose. I signed a statement to that effect, it's a family member, what's their problem? And what do we do about it? Without this complication he would have closed upon the house he had been renting by the end of this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 02:27 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
UYou need to pay attention to the laws your elected officials are passing. Usually, the most indignant are also the least informed. I can't deny it feels un-American, but it's something we have to accept or be willing to fight to change. Its called the Anti-Money Laundrying Act, which was strengthened under the Bank Secrecy Act as part of the Dodd-Frank legislation.

Bottom line: mortgage lenders must source every dime in real estate transaction as belonging to the borrower. Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not, it's the law.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:12 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Write up a gift letter for the money.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:13 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,525 times
you brother has to deposit that money in the bank and wait for two month statements to prove to the back the money is his

Old 12-24-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Write up a gift letter for the money.
I did this. It's still a problem. Apparently now they're going to investigate me. Sure, have at it. Despite being on disability I have a stellar credit rating, no debt, carry no balance on my credit cards. I'm thrifty, and live the opposite of large, with low overhead.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
UYou need to pay attention to the laws your elected officials are passing. Usually, the most indignant are also the least informed. I can't deny it feels un-American, but it's something we have to accept or be willing to fight to change. Its called the Anti-Money Laundrying Act, which was strengthened under the Bank Secrecy Act as part of the Dodd-Frank legislation.

Bottom line: mortgage lenders must source every dime in real estate transaction as belonging to the borrower. Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not, it's the law.
You're right, not informed on this. People tend to be informed on matters which affect them. There's so much information for people to know that one could spends days reading and still not cover everything from all areas.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:31 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Have no fears......their powers of investigation are limited and only if you were laundering money would there be any concern.
Quote:
There's so much information for people to know that one could spends days reading and still not cover everything from all areas.
This country excels at passing bills without reading them and then we re-elect those that pass the bills not knowing what is there. We only have ourselves to blame.

Imagine this: a law that states you can't vote on a bill without reading it! (It's been tried, never passed). Problem with that, many of our elected officials have "readers" (aka "staffers") and have never read a single bill on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages