Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 939 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in Pennsylvania. Our FICO is 710 and we earn a gross income of $125,000 a year. We are in a student loan repayment plan where we pay 15% of our income per month toward the loan. At present, our student loan is in forbearance. We had a bankruptcy discharged five years ago, so we have not reached the 7-year mark.

FHA and Fannie would have accepted the five-year bankruptcy time period but turned down our mortgage application because our student loan monthly payment (1% = $4000 a month) made our debt to income ratio too high. They would not use our repayment monthly payment, which is substantially less than the 1% criteria they used.

Freddie Mac accepted our student loan repayment plan amount--instead of the 1% criteria that FHA and Fannie require--but they require we wait at least 7 years from the bankruptcy to get approved for the loan.

Our question: At this time, do we have any options for a mortgage loan approval? Or must we wait until the 7 years pass and apply for a Freddie Mac loan?

We would appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 12:58 PM

214 posts, read 810,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgagequestion View Post
My wife and I live in Pennsylvania. Our FICO is 710 and we earn a gross income of $125,000 a year. We are in a student loan repayment plan where we pay 15% of our income per month toward the loan. At present, our student loan is in forbearance. We had a bankruptcy discharged five years ago, so we have not reached the 7-year mark.

FHA and Fannie would have accepted the five-year bankruptcy time period but turned down our mortgage application because our student loan monthly payment (1% = $4000 a month) made our debt to income ratio too high. They would not use our repayment monthly payment, which is substantially less than the 1% criteria they used.

Freddie Mac accepted our student loan repayment plan amount--instead of the 1% criteria that FHA and Fannie require--but they require we wait at least 7 years from the bankruptcy to get approved for the loan.

Our question: At this time, do we have any options for a mortgage loan approval? Or must we wait until the 7 years pass and apply for a Freddie Mac loan?

Did you include a mortgage in your BK?

The only real option you have is to take your loans out of forbearance & the IBR plan & switch to a standard repayment plan. The only other option is to wait until you're eligible for a Freddie Mac loan.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:47 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Call a couple other banks and mortgage brokers.
For example, my CU uses 1% of my balance, which put me at a bad debt:income. The mortgage company I'm going through used my IBR payment. Both were looking at FHA loans.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:07 PM

214 posts, read 810,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Call a couple other banks and mortgage brokers.
For example, my CU uses 1% of my balance, which put me at a bad debt:income. The mortgage company I'm going through used my IBR payment. Both were looking at FHA loans.
Just a heads up:

The FHA guidelines require lenders to use either:
- The greater of:
- 1% of the outstanding balance on the loan; or
- The monthly payment reported on your credit report; or
- The actual documented payment AS LONG AS the payment will fully amortize over the term of your loan.

The first part pretty much kills you cause lenders will have to take the higher payment between 1% of your loan balance & the actual payment on your credit report.

The second part means that your loan would have to pay off by the end of term in order to count an actual IBR payment. For example: Let's say you have $150,000 in student loans at 6% and the term of the loan is 30 years. The monthly payment that would have that loan paid off by the end of the 30 year term would be $915.06 so if your IBR payment is less than this amount, the lender will have to fall back to first option.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:15 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Am I crazy to think that somebody who makes $125,000 a year shouldn't be in forbearance on student loans and ought to get those things paid off BEFORE buying a house? (Especially given the prior history of bankruptcy )

Old 12-09-2016, 10:20 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Am I crazy to think that somebody who makes $125,000 a year shouldn't be in forbearance on student loans and ought to get those things paid off BEFORE buying a house? (Especially given the prior history of bankruptcy )
Nope, I don't necessarily think you need to pay them off before buying a house, but the fact that they are in forbearance with that level of income means this person is living way above their means.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:40 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:

Holy moly.....$400k in student loan debt, $125k income and you want to buy a house....please tell me this is a joke....you already have a mortgage worth of debt as is, and are having enough trouble paying it to go into forbearance, and you want to add another mortgage load of debt??? Did I get this right? Will someone please knock some sense in?

Old 12-14-2016, 10:05 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Nope, I don't necessarily think you need to pay them off before buying a house, but the fact that they are in forbearance with that level of income means this person is living way above their means.
I'm guessing this is the case.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:41 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Quote:

stop... do not pass go... do not collect $200....

with a $4k/month debt repayment stop taking on debt. No more vacations, no new cars, no new debt!

If your combined gross income is $125k / year on $400k in debt then something seriously went wrong. With that # both of you could have JD + LLM from NYU and should be grossing 2X where you are at.

I think a review of your entire debt/asset/earnings profile is in need for review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages