Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 04:47 PM

33 posts, read 35,705 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently sold our home of 11 years to get our kids & family in a better area. We have been looking at homes in an area we like with homes prices in the 350K - 400K range. Our credit scores are not good due to some old student loans and current revolving debt. We can put up to $84K down on a home, and our income is 144K a year. Surely this will mitigate some of the lenders risk, plus we have paid our current mortgage for 11 years with only 2 late payments in 11 years. Last late payment being 4 years ago.

I am praying we didn't make a miscalculation in selling our home. Surely with our high income and good cash down somebody will give us a reasonable mortgage.

We need to get this done before school starts. I can hear the clock ticking louder everyday.

Help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 04:52 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
You need to be specific on your credit scores to know. Most conventional lenders don't like to see below 620. Some will go 600. What's "not good" to you? FHA scores can go down to 580...

Mortgages are about credit risk, not just about income and money down. You already admitted to missing 2 payments and messing up your student loan.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:56 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
I don't think anyone here can answer that. I would contact your bank or other mortgage companies and find one that will work with you. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:06 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
If you have lower than 600 I think you're going to have a hard time. A huge down payment is good, but good credit is better and income to debt ratio is what a lender looks at. You should have talked to a lender before you sold your home. I would call one ASAP so you know where you stand! Your lender that you have on your current home might be a good place to start. You might have a better chance getting another loan with them.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You need to be specific on your credit scores to know. Most conventional lenders don't like to see below 620. Some will go 600. What's "not good" to you? FHA scores can go down to 580...

Mortgages are about credit risk, not just about income and money down. You already admitted to missing 2 payments and messing up your student loan.
I didn't miss 2 payments, but I was late 2 times a few years back. At the time I had no idea of the importance of paying on time. Very naive.

If it's all about risk I would say paying a mortgage with 3 late payments in 11 years is a good risk. Thats 132 payments, and three late days.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:23 PM

Just to give a little background. When we purchased the house we just sold we had a 6.5% rate, and we stuck with that for 11 years. We thought after paying this for 11 years our credit would be better. I understand now that my credit will fluctuate a little but for the most part it is stuck where it is. My wife and I are blessed to have very stable jobs with good pay....but sucky credit. We will always pay our bills, but being late a few times out of hundreds of payments has created the "high risk".

Old 07-05-2017, 10:28 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Are your credit cards maxed? This makes a huge impact on your credit score.

How soon are you looking to buy? I know you said before the school year starts, but you are pretty much at that deadline now. Depending on where you live, you are 4-8 weeks away. I assume by your question, you are not even prequalified. If you started everything today, it is likely to take you 6 weeks minimum to get everything done and close on a house. Are you planning on renting as a fall back? I ask because it may be more beneficial to wait 6-12 months to purchase and work on that credit score instead.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:53 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
What are your credit scores and debt to income ratios?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:29 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Without the specifics, it's hard for people to give much of an answer so giving the actual scores will help, as well as your total debt to compare against income.

But having debt doesn't mean your credit score is low, it's the late payments that do it. When were they? The more recent, the more impact they will have.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:46 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrorider100 View Post
My wife and I recently sold our home of 11 years to get our kids & family in a better area. We have been looking at homes in an area we like with homes prices in the 350K - 400K range. Our credit scores are not good due to some old student loans and current revolving debt. We can put up to $84K down on a home, and our income is 144K a year. Surely this will mitigate some of the lenders risk, plus we have paid our current mortgage for 11 years with only 2 late payments in 11 years. Last late payment being 4 years ago.

I am praying we didn't make a miscalculation in selling our home. Surely with our high income and good cash down somebody will give us a reasonable mortgage.

We need to get this done before school starts. I can hear the clock ticking louder everyday.

Help!!!
What 3 scores did a mortgage company pull? Credit Karma, MyFico, and whatever BS is in your Capital One statement, are not what we are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages