Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 04:19 PM

37 posts, read 223,146 times

Advertisements

Our lender said we're about to get a commitment letter once she gets a couple more signed documents. The documents we're to sign seem to be normal. At this point in this exhausting process, I'm stunned.

Isn't a commitment letter the real deal? Once you get a commitment letter, doesn't that mean the lender can't back out of the deal (provided there's no fine print in the commitment letter)? Do "fake" commitment letters ever have fine print? Should I be happy or be wary?

Still in shock!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 07:08 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,586,374 times
it's not over until you get the keys to your new home.

lenders are still going out of business, and still try to woo ppl to go with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by weartoomanyhats View Post
Our lender said we're about to get a commitment letter once she gets a couple more signed documents. The documents we're to sign seem to be normal. At this point in this exhausting process, I'm stunned.

Isn't a commitment letter the real deal? Once you get a commitment letter, doesn't that mean the lender can't back out of the deal (provided there's no fine print in the commitment letter)? Do "fake" commitment letters ever have fine print? Should I be happy or be wary?

Still in shock!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:18 PM

But, assuming they stay in business, can they offer commitment letters that aren't binding on their part, provided all the info they received from the borrower was correct?

Old 06-18-2008, 08:49 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,586,374 times
i have lenders offer a loan commitment then still deny the loan because something was wrong with the property.

When you get your keys to the house then you know everything is well.
If the lender wanted to, they can deny your loan for any reason.

I have a couple loans denied due to the flooding up north.
Loans were given a 'clear to close'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weartoomanyhats View Post
But, assuming they stay in business, can they offer commitment letters that aren't binding on their part, provided all the info they received from the borrower was correct?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 AM

392 posts, read 1,539,206 times
A committment is better than a preapproval (it means that the conditions have been cleared by an underwriter). however, some "comittments" still have outstanding conditions. As said in a previous post, nothing is guarenteed until you have the keys

Old 06-19-2008, 02:16 PM

WE have the letter, and there are no conditions from our end that haven't already been fixed. It is labeled "clear to close." In addition, I've read the fine print and there are not surprises included with regards to terms or contract details. I know it's not the flimsy thing a pre-approval is, but I wanted to know that it was in someway a binding commitment on their part, if I do my part.

Right now, I'm going to be optimistic. If they say I'm worthy, then I'm going to assume things will happen. Maybe I'll actually sleep between now and Thursday!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:34 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
The simplest way to answer might be ask what sort of "consideration" have you and the lender exchanged? Not a whole lot, some signatures & time.

So if the stock market explodes or a damn burst upstream of your house or your seller is caught selling crack out of the old house odds are the lender is not going to living up to their end of the deal and would not expect you to do anything should some horrible fate befall you...

Old 06-19-2008, 05:02 PM

I know the stock market affects rates. Have you seen incidents where the locked rate is so low the lender denies the loan? Or are you talking about a 1929-ish stock market dilemma.

Just when I was starting to make myself feel better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages