Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times

Advertisements

No - its not. My sister just closed on a house and they did the same thing. Amica insisted on sending an inspector out to check in and outsides of the home. Maybe its some new thing they are doing because i don't remember having to do that when we bought our house about 6 years ago and went with AMICA. Everything for my sister ended up being fine and she went ahead with amica so don't lose hope yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 10:58 PM

380 posts, read 2,351,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
No - its not. My sister just closed on a house and they did the same thing. Amica insisted on sending an inspector out to check in and outsides of the home. Maybe its some new thing they are doing because i don't remember having to do that when we bought our house about 6 years ago and went with AMICA. Everything for my sister ended up being fine and she went ahead with amica so don't lose hope yet!
Glad your sister got the policy ok. Wish we had the same experience. Amica's been dragging their feet on getting the inspection done. It's been over a week now and still not even scheduled (and a month since we first contacted them). Closing in mid-August so we're just gonna go w/ another company for now. Maybe we'll try them later when we don't have the added stress of escrow.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:59 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
I requested a quote and never got one, so I rather stay where I am since at least they answer the phone and give me answers. If a company starts out this way how will they respond at the time something happens and you need a pay out....., hurricanes are bad enough and dealing with a company who in the first place never responded is a red flag to me. I tried 3 times for a quote so IMO it couldn't be that they didn't receive it.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:57 AM

69 posts, read 1,129,045 times
As I posted earlier we've had a wonderful experience getting Amica for our new home coverage. In addition to that...the day we moved in last week Amica came and did a quick inspection of the outside. They have been totally fabulous.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:04 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzy View Post
As I posted earlier we've had a wonderful experience getting Amica for our new home coverage. In addition to that...the day we moved in last week Amica came and did a quick inspection of the outside. They have been totally fabulous.
That has been my experience with Amica as well.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:12 PM

73 posts, read 449,058 times
I got a quote from Amica but they wanted the house retrofit (bolted to the foundation) on our concrete slab foundation ranch house, or else they would not insure us. This seems strange because a foundation retrofit is only to help reduce damage from earthquakes which is not covered by the policy anyway (without the optional quake insurance). Even assuming we were to pay a fortune to get the foundation retrofit, Amica quoted $1,600 per year but we found three other insurance co's (Safeco, Farmers, Allied/Nationwide) that cost around $1,000 per year for the exact same coverage. Ended up going with Safeco.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:58 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
We have had Amica for our car insurance for 15 years or so with no problems (one accident that was not our fault, so the other ins company paid them back everything that they had paid), but they won't give us homeowner's insurance. The last I heard, they were not opening new policies in Florida. I don't know if that's still the case, but that's what it was at least a few years ago.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,466 times
now i'm really concerned. i should have started checking reviews sooner. i gu ess being with jdpowers seemed so secure i just kind of went with it. it is considerably cheaper than the policy i'm now carrying. even that seems to make me suspicious anymore. i switched car insurances after about ten years and have been very dissappointed by the rates.l they are not at as as they were described when i signed up. wow! what to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages