Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzakiel View Post
Below are the actual closing costs for a home loan I am applying for. I don't know where to start... so many fees. Can anyone identify which fees are too high or should be taken off entirely? I know the builder is padding these to get my money!

I should note this is a sale of a new home in northern VA where land values are very high, so keep that in mind.
95% of my business is in Northern VA and your estimate is typical of an NVR estimate. 819 and 824 are actually 2 different companies, the builder company and probably where the loan is being sent to. When are you closing? RESPA was going to require builders to provide the same incentive whether you used their mortgage company or not, but they got an injunction in Federal Court last week for attorney arguments and were granted a 90 day delay. The regs that were to take place next week would have let you go anywhere and still receive the builder's lender credit. VA Tax Stamps are based on both the mortgage and the sales price, that's why they seem high. Also, in the State of VA, the seller pays the Grantor's Tax, EXCEPT the builders that re-write the contract. It is not customary for the buyer to pay this fee, but all of the builders have re-written the body of their contract.

If the courts uphold the new RESPA regulations, come 4/16/2009, builders will no longer be able to require you to use their mortgage company. (The National Assn. of Homebuilders have fought this hard).

But to answer your question, the few fees that are high are not so far out of line to pull your loan in hopes of a better deal, especially if you would lose any builder paid closing or builder paid upgrades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 PM

68 posts, read 255,239 times
Go to www.USAA.com and use the check rates menu and put all the info in(no personal info needed) and it will calculate the rate and also show you all the fees they charge and how much. They had low closing cost fees for our loan; less than 5000.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:24 AM

788 posts, read 1,742,218 times
When shopping for a mortgage do you look for the lower interest rate or lower closing costs? I am a newby......

Old 01-11-2009, 11:00 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
When shopping for a mortgage do you look for the lower interest rate or lower closing costs? I am a newby......

It depends on what you want... typically you will want a combination of the two. There is usually a tradeoff, you can take a higher rate and pay less in fees (or sometimes even a "no closing cost" mortgage) but you pay more in interest over the life of the loan. On the other end you can buy points to get a lower rate.

Key things to consider will be:

Do you have money to pay the closing costs? How long do you intend to stay in the home? What is the "break even" point, ie the amount of time you need to stay in the home to receive a benefit from the additional monthly savings?

You can always ask your lender to give you different scenarios and see which one fits best for you. A good broker/banker will advise you and as about your long term goals to help you choose the best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages