Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 12:12 AM

801 posts, read 2,212,976 times

Advertisements

Besides the obvious advantage of paying less interest, are troubled lenders providing any incentives for those who pay off mortgages early? I was just curious, as I owe about 10% of the value on my house to Wachovia, but could pay it off now if I wanted to. I'm not much into economics, but someone told me troubled lenders may accept even less than the owed amount to get a loan off the books. But...the same person also told me that it probably wouldn't apply in my situation, since my credit score is >800, and they would most likely rather keep reliable checks (and interest) coming their way. Any comments on this? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 07:02 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
IMO it is smart to pay it off now and if you want get another mortgage for a better rate...., even if the values go down at least you don't have to worry so much...I have no mortgage and still feel good in todays market.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:42 PM

24 posts, read 112,422 times
It far better in the interest of the lender to keep you paying interest. If you pay off the loan, they get nothing after that. If you were distressed, they might have a need to work something out with you. You are considered "A" paper to them, and only strengthen their portfolio. Plus, there is the possibility you could default, in which case they could take your home, all 90% of which you own. Never say never. If I were you, I'd go ahead and pay it off. Then, no one can ever take it from you for any reason (except the government in an eminent domain situation, of course). I doubt if the interest you're paying at this stage of your amortization schedule is giving you that much of a tax benefit.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:19 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,758 times
Also, keep in mind that sometimes if they do this they will make a notation on your credit. Usually stating "account settled for less than full balance" or something similiar.

Same thing if you had a collection or account you were paying less at and needed to negotiate less on. Whether for good or bad reasons, you owed this bank money and you paid them less than you were supposed to.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the input, folks. rcarrillo...I never really thought about the point you made. I can't be sure, but I really don't expect to ever need to apply for credit of any type in my lifetime. All in all, I think I'll probably just go ahead and pay the mortgage off before the end of the year. Whatishouldo is correct that the interest write-off at tax time has become pretty small anyway.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,758 times
The interest tax rate is small, and even if its there it is NEVER as big as the interest you actually pay. So why pay $1 in interest to get 75 cents of write off? Not the best financial strategy...

Even if you don't expect to use credit, everyone should have learned now to plan for the unexpected. If you want to pay less, just check with the bank first to make sure it won't be reported negatively on your credit. You never know when a medical emergency or something else might have you applying for credit and not being able to get it because you wanted to save a few bucks now. Its like people that took ARMs to save a few dollars but had no plan on what to do in 2-3 years... just hoped for the best.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:02 AM

rcarrillo...you're certainly right about the tax write-off being a lot less than the interest. I fully intend to pay cash for my next house...which will be the first time I've been in position to do that. And...that's true about the unexpected. My wife and I both had unexpected health issues (and expensive operations) this year. I'm grateful that I have excellent health insurance, but you never know how that's going to evolve in coming years either. Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages