Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 05:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Same in Atlanta. In fact, demand is up because people from South FL, SoCal, NYC, Boston, Nevada are abandoning their homes and coming here en masse. The South FL area has shrunk a bit in population since the bust, but here, population increases continue to be 150-160K per YEAR. It's crazy. We did have a slight price dip in 2006-2007 of about 4%, but it was nothing compared to the other areas sucked into this mess (and it was caused by an excess supply of homes, which we have slowed down on building). Now, prices are stable and rising at a steady rate like they have been.
And Texas got influx from California and Arizona.
But even that will level off. Then what happens ? Will our cities' home values drop just as quick but later ? Are we really just waiting our turn or are we really more stable ?

I'd love to have a crystal ball right about now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 06:41 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
It used to be that many first time homebuyers used an FHA loan with lower downpayment requirements but higher qualifying standards-dept ratios, etc. Then they stayed in their starter homes for 5-7 years building equity for a 20% down conventional mortgage where they stayed for 20+ years until they downsized into their retirement homes, for which they paid cash from the sale of their paid-for second house. I don't see that things will be any different then this.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:55 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,307,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby61 View Post
I have heard a 20% down payment will be required. Is this true? What other qualifications will a potential borrower need in order to be eligible for a mortgage?
I truly hope the lion's share of home loans are the old "proven" standard of conventional loans with a 20% down payment along with a good-to-excellent credit rating and a fair appraisal of the property being bought.

And I'd like to see the originator of the loan keep the paper instead of packaging the loans as securities based on risk factors with different risk protection tranche levels.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:12 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And Texas got influx from California and Arizona.
But even that will level off. Then what happens ? Will our cities' home values drop just as quick but later ? Are we really just waiting our turn or are we really more stable ?

I'd love to have a crystal ball right about now
I know Atlanta will be stable. The incomes here are comparable to NYC (~2K less per year) and LA (about 5K more per year, maybe more now), but home costs have always been significantly less and have kept with the CPI. Overall cost of living here is less. However, you still have the credit whores, so foreclosures still happen. But, overall, I'm so glad we didn't suppress supply here like was done in other markets and artificially drive up prices.

As long as the introduction of NEW supply levels down as new comers do as well, prices should be stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages