Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:24 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times

Advertisements

Man sentenced to 10 years in prison for mortgage fraud.
TAMPA (Bay News 9) -- A Clearwater man will spend the next 10 years in prison after he was found guilty of mortgage fraud.

Graham Kligerman, 34, was convicted of duping dozens of homeowners facing foreclosure. Investigators said he led them to think they'd be able to stay in their homes, because someone else would buy their house and then let them rent. Authorities said those buyers would take out loans worth more than what was owed and then walk away with the cash.

Investigators said Kligerman, a disbarred Florida attorney, conducted the closings for nearly 60 of these closings.

In addition to his prison term, Kligerman was ordered to pay $6.5 million in restitution.

I guess more convictions will follow...it will be crowded in the prisons with these kinds of people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 11:42 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,661 times
I guess he was just another hardworking (at scamming that is) American who should be able to keep his wealth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Man sentenced to 10 years in prison for mortgage fraud.
TAMPA (Bay News 9) -- A Clearwater man will spend the next 10 years in prison after he was found guilty of mortgage fraud.

Graham Kligerman, 34, was convicted of duping dozens of homeowners facing foreclosure. Investigators said he led them to think they'd be able to stay in their homes, because someone else would buy their house and then let them rent. Authorities said those buyers would take out loans worth more than what was owed and then walk away with the cash.

Investigators said Kligerman, a disbarred Florida attorney, conducted the closings for nearly 60 of these closings.

In addition to his prison term, Kligerman was ordered to pay $6.5 million in restitution.

I guess more convictions will follow...it will be crowded in the prisons with these kinds of people!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,023 times
That has to be the worst written article I've ever read. How in the world do people facing foreclosure (what does that mean exactly? Behind on payments? Already received notice of sheriff's sale?) take out a new mortgage for more than their house is worth, especially in this credit market? And it doesn't even connect Kligerman with any of the cash these homeowners walked away with. it just says he "conducted the closings". Why was he ordered to pay $6.5 million in restitution? Did he get anything close to that from someone? Why weren't any of these homeowners prosecuted? How does someone keep a job writing for a newspaper who can't write any better than this guy?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
I guess he was just another hardworking (at scamming that is) American who should be able to keep his wealth!
I guess he was spreading the wealth to him self!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,914,514 times
Articles like that - for us that work to save peoples homes, it gives us a bad name.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:42 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,023 times
Also, how do you get a mortgage for a house and have the money go anywhere other than to the current lienholders BEFORE anyone gets to cash out?

Old 10-22-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Also, how do you get a mortgage for a house and have the money go anywhere other than to the current lienholders BEFORE anyone gets to cash out?
I guess you have to go to visit the guy in prison if you want to know how it works!

I guess that is one of the reasons he is where he is today!

I have a neighbor down the street who works as a mortgage lender....is in financial trouble over her head....!

She wanted to find an appraiser who could appraise her home (right after closing in '05) for the same amount as properties on the best location in Tampa....well she got what she wanted, but now she isn't so happy anymore.

She got almost $ 100K on top of what she paid for right after closing...Got a boob job, eyes lasered, butt lift, tummy tuck, fitness equipment, new cars and now she has tax liens, HOA liens, lis pendens, but well she has her nice body!!!!, and I guess sleepless nights!

Maybe she should join this guy, nice team mate.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:35 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,661 times
Yup,

by the way I could sure use $150,000 for a new wardrobe.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I guess he was spreading the wealth to him self!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Very confusing article.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:36 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Yup,

by the way I could sure use $150,000 for a new wardrobe.............
..and could I have lobter for breakfast to go with my champagne?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages