Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 05:33 PM

596 posts, read 2,875,958 times

Advertisements

Is it mandatory for husband and wife to provide documentation and credit pulls when obtaining a mortgage, or can income earner do it alone if so desired? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 06:19 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,709 times
I have had 3 mortgages ( in the past 4 yrs), all have been just on my credit and income. This was before the "meltdown" though. Not sure if that has changed anything. Not sure why it would though. If you alone can prove you can make the payments, then I don't see why they wouldn't give it to you. So, YES, you should be able to do it alone provided your income can cover it and your credit is good. Remembering it they always gave me a choice if I wanted to use my wife's information.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:52 PM

214 posts, read 915,606 times
Depends on the state - where do you live?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:00 PM

768 posts, read 4,341,109 times
You can still just do the loan in one spouse's name - nothing has changed. One thing to be aware of when doing government loans when living or buying in a community property state - debt payments of the non-borrowing spouse are still included in the debt to income ratio.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:31 PM

188 posts, read 680,107 times
I am in Georgia and for my recent new house, I was the only one on mortgage application however the wife is on the deed though.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:36 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
I have the mortgage entirely in my name and the deed in my name and on my credit. No income or debts of my husband's were considered.

Now, if we were to get divorced half the house would still be my husband's - due to state laws.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:28 AM

596 posts, read 2,875,958 times
Thank you all so much. So in NC, not a community property state, the non-borrowing spouse will not be required to produce a credit report for debt-to-income ratio information nor any other information? If this is the case, this would be a definite advantage. Thanks again.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:29 AM

22 posts, read 176,249 times
This isn't quite a one-size-fits-all question. Different types of loans have more stringent (or lenient) application requirements. Example: FHA will allow one spouse, USDA/Rural will not. Mainly because of the income limitations on some programs. They must account for the entire household debt/income to make sure you conform to their guidelines. Operating outside of these guidelines and extending support to non-qualified borrowers would undermine the program, essentially taking money away from those who really need it.

Aside from that, most lenders would prefer to see the worst case scenario in terms of income/debt. That way, they're not playing as much of a guessing game to "can they or can't they repay?"

Old 11-05-2008, 10:38 AM

768 posts, read 4,341,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
Thank you all so much. So in NC, not a community property state, the non-borrowing spouse will not be required to produce a credit report for debt-to-income ratio information nor any other information? If this is the case, this would be a definite advantage. Thanks again.
That is correct!

Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 PM

31 posts, read 104,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy79 View Post
This isn't quite a one-size-fits-all question. Different types of loans have more stringent (or lenient) application requirements. Example: FHA will allow one spouse, USDA/Rural will not. Mainly because of the income limitations on some programs. They must account for the entire household debt/income to make sure you conform to their guidelines. Operating outside of these guidelines and extending support to non-qualified borrowers would undermine the program, essentially taking money away from those who really need it.

Aside from that, most lenders would prefer to see the worst case scenario in terms of income/debt. That way, they're not playing as much of a guessing game to "can they or can't they repay?"
If you are using the USDA DIRECT loan,they will allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages