Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 07:01 PM
VSB VSB started this thread

170 posts, read 798,436 times

Advertisements

The Situation: My wife and I have conducted a fairly lengthy search for a new home, and we have finally found one which meets most of our needs. Due to a variety of issues, however, we had more or less decided to wait until early 2009 before making an offer. While we have stated that we most likely will not make an offer in 2008, we haven't made a firm declaration to either the buyer's agent or mortgage broker.

The Mortgage Broker: We are not committed to a single mortgage broker or banker. However, we have been speaking a lot with a broker who works with the lending arm of the real estate firm for which our buyer's agent also works. I've tried to educate myself about mortgage products, and understand par rate, YSP, second mortgage products, et cetera. I'm not even an amateur expert, however.

The Pressure: Perhaps as a result of the above, we have been getting subtle, or perhaps, not so subtle pressure from our agent and this particular broker (I have spoken to other brokers, independent of this broker, who have not been as "tightly" involved).

The Offer: The broker and agent have worked out a potential offer which would allow us to purchase the house before 2009 (when additional cash flow would be available to us). There's nothing about the arrangement which appears illegitimate, as it essentially boils down to the seller buying down the mortgage rate on our behalf, and covering all closing costs. However, it's a simple fact that the simpler the transaction, the less the chance that we miss something. When the calculus gets complicated, it's hard to know exactly what we're paying, and what we're paying for. Furthermore, as the arrangement/offer was unsolicited by my wife and I, it raised a few questions.

The Questions:
  1. Which parties stand to gain most from closing a sale within the calendar year? The sellers, the broker, the agent, or all three? Obviously, it helps any person operating on commission to sell something sooner rather than later, and I understand that the seller has carrying costs which he or she would like to reduce, but is there something unique about the difference between closing Dec 31st instead of Jan 1st, as opposed to closing Jan 1st instead of Jan 2nd? Conversely to the initial question, who stands to lose most from delaying such a close?
  2. What's the going rate on an origination fee for a two loan package with a par rate conforming 1st loan (at the upper limit) and either a fixed second or HELOC second? Do most mortgage brokers expect to make 1% on a package like this? Our FICO is 800+.
  3. Does anyone have specific opinions about working with brokers and realtors from the same firm? The answer seems obvious, but since everything must be declared on a GFE, I wasn't too worried about something being "slipped" past me.
  4. What is the current state of affairs of second mortgages? Are fixed rate products available (in 20 or 30 year terms), balloons, HELOC loans, et cetera? What is the going margin on a $100K HELOC loan these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 08:05 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I think you are focusing on things that are rather unimportant -- who cares WHO "stands to gain the most"?

If you want to make an offer, then go ahead and make it. If you want closing to happen more than 30 days out, and you have a lock on mortgage rates that will match that closing, put that in the offer.

Similarly it should not matter TO YOU a wit what the origination fees or margin may be. Honestly the only thing that should matter is the rates that you are quoted along with any points, fees, and closing costs.

If the real estate agent you are working with has also steered you toward a mortgage originator/ broker that has access to programs that may enable you to buy sooner than others I would simply ask them WHY/HOW ?

Now granted, it was not uncommon IN THE PAST for "sales contests" and similar incentives to have a big enough pay-out for the agents/brokers to be able to forego essentially all their commission on a deal or two to "win the trip to Hawaii", but THIS YEAR? I just don't see that anymore... Maybe there is some wacky tax angle these folks may be working, or maybe they are just anxious and want to be able to put SOMETHING in the closed column because if just feels good. I would not worry if they can give you a honest and plausible story, along with a GFE that smells fresh and clean.

I would get the GFE, and a run down of the alternatives. Really, really, really very unlikely that one lender is going to have any 'secret sauce' given the mess right now. In fact, if you have not already been through the "pre-qualification" with two or more big players you ought to do that just t confirm that there are not too many alternatives being offered these days.

Finally, in regards to your fourth question, I just talked to a very good friend who works for a very large lender. For customers with excellent credit and LOW debt::income he has access to 30 yr fixed jumbos that BLOW AWAY any combination of 1st and 2nd or HELCO. Sub 6%. Frankly if there are similar offerings available to you it would be so attractive that I cannot thing of reason NOT to go that route...

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages