Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,773 posts, read 58,219,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
a very wise post. deflation, a complete blind side for the 21st century consumer, comin your way.
liquidity is everything. listen to radio host dave ramsey like your life depends on it.
I just finished the book "The Coming Generational Storm" (written in 2004). Having a home paid off is touted as a good strategy for the coming era. They are keen on the 'intrinsic' value of having an abode that is affordable and paid off, since you have to live somewhere...and the authors did not seem keen on our popular local spot of living under a bridge. I will be focusing on buying some positive cash flow income places during the 're-adjustment'. I feel the interest rates are gonna be very attractive, but only for a short season. Don't bank on the long term. Someone is gonna have to cough up some major bucks, and I want to be positioning as much 'tax free' as possible. I usually 'refinance' my commercial props to offset excess earnings with interest, and use the capital for improvements or additional REAL ESTATE investments. I don't buy stock market equities with leveraged real estate, tho I might with my student loan, If I can get the rate my kids did (2.7% for 20 yrs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 04:32 AM

707 posts, read 1,294,740 times
This is an interesting question to me. I own a property in Michigan that I have already lost a lot of equity in. I continue to pay it down by doubling and tripling the payments but it seems to lose value faster than I can pay it down. I have thought about slowing down on it for a while. It just feels like a sinkhole.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:39 AM

37,505 posts, read 61,530,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
This is an interesting question to me. I own a property in Michigan that I have already lost a lot of equity in. I continue to pay it down by doubling and tripling the payments but it seems to lose value faster than I can pay it down. I have thought about slowing down on it for a while. It just feels like a sinkhole.
Why do even multiples of the original mortgage payment?

We did $100 /month, or $200 /month 'principle only' payments. Depending on our budget that is.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:50 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,264,937 times
We are retired with a secure pension income. I did the math (professionally I was financial analyst/accountant) and decided that our best policy was to minimize expenses and reduce market risk. Paying off the mortgage in lieu of stock investments was a major decision which consumed a large part of our free cash but left us with minimal monthly expenses. Going forward, expense control is (IMO) our best option. We are in uncharted waters regarding the near/mid term financial situation and I'd rather have minimal financial risk for our future.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:13 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,507,326 times
Default What do you mean "lost equity"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
I mean if own the thing free and clear, you own it. Will its value ever drop to nothing?

To fully analyze the situation your total after tax returns on the alternative would have to be factored, but as pretty much EVERYTHING is negative YTD ...

It is not just 'declining equity' -- what did you borrow to buy the place -- don't forget that your "total potential cost" is what the lifetime of loan's interest would have been too -- having to "grow back" the 3x plus total cost of 30 year loan is even harder...

Not suggesting that you make yourself "cash poor" to continue paying off your house (in fact having more liquidity is probably a good idea right now...) but you don't really lose until you sell, and if you wait 30 years to pay off your loans that is a lot more of your money that goes to interest.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:13 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,802,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I mean if own the thing free and clear, you own it. Will its value ever drop to nothing?
That could happen in Michigan.....

Old 11-29-2008, 12:58 AM

Contrary to the general media image, Michigan is NOT one big ghetto hitched to dying manufacturing behemoths. There are resorts, farms, Universities, drug companies, diverse industries of all kinds...\

That said ANY property could become completely 'unsaleable' at any price, but that is not likely!

Old 11-29-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
We are retired with a secure pension income. I did the math (professionally I was financial analyst /accountant) and decided that our best policy was to minimize expenses and reduce market risk. Paying off the mortgage in lieu of stock investments was a major decision which consumed a large part of our free cash but left us with minimal monthly expenses. Going forward, expense control is (IMO) our best option. We are in uncharted waters regarding the near/mid term financial situation and I'd rather have minimal financial risk for our future.
Good points!

Thank you

Old 11-29-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Good point.

Quote:
... It is not just 'declining equity' -- what did you borrow to buy the place -- don't forget that your "total potential cost" is what the lifetime of loan's interest would have been too -- having to "grow back" the 3x plus total cost of 30 year loan is even harder...
Seldom do folks look at this part.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:11 AM

Yeah, that part of looking at the "end horizon" is why I do advocate EVENTUALLY paying off your mortgage early. Every person has a different situation, but early on, for me, building equity in my home has not paid off as well as directing more of that cash toward growing my traditional portfolio. I do occaisionaly throw a bit of cash at the mortgage (some times more than a bit) but EVENTUALLY I do want my 30 year mortgage killed off early, but I want to keep pumping up my traditonal investments too - it is just not smart to look at these as "either / or" options. You do BOTH until the mortgage is gone and the investment are growing on their own, then you stop working and plan how you are spend until your last dollar falls out of hand with your last breath

(nah, I'll leave the kids at least enough to buy a big pile of firewood for my pyre in the backyard and pay the fine for an "unauthorized outdoor fire" to the fire district...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages