Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:39 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,212,192 times

Advertisements

So, I am looking at using an FHA loan to finance a home.

I got a few FHA quotes today and they are telling me the upfront mortgage insurance premiums are 1.75 percent. But after reading this and how it all changed it should be 1.25 percent.

FHA Mortgage Insurance Changes — Risk Based Premiums for FHA Mortgage Insurance : Arizona Mortgage Team :: Arizona. Mortgage. Experts.

My LTV would be 96.5 percent and my fico is 780. What am I missing here? I understand it is financed back into the mortgage. But it would be nice to get some accurate numbers.

80/20 question

Are they still doing this? To skirt around PMI?

Honestly, today I was all lined up to use USAA financing on a short sale. Today the short sale was approved. Then a few hours later I get a phone call from USAA. Your home is in a declining market. You have to put 10 percent down. I only can do 5 percent down.

I really didn't want to get creative with fiancing but I guess it is coming down to that. Nothing like having your fiancing rug pulled out the day the contract is accepted. Thanks USAA.

Last edited by wankel7; 10-21-2008 at 11:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 05:55 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,020,190 times
Wankel7, with your credit score do not do an FHA loan, go with a conventional financing, but you must put down 5%. Also, have your loan officer structure your purchase with a 80% first and a 15% second. Structuring your loan this way will give you the best overall mortgage.

You also asked about the upfront FHA fee, well due to the Housing and Economic Recovery Act, the up front mortgage insurance fee as of Oct 1 is 1.75%.

The declining market is an issue, so i would advise you to contact a mortgage broker who can shop you with 100's of lenders who each will have different guidelines. One drawback of working directly with a lender is that they will only tell you what they can do. A mortgage broker can tell you what hundreds of lenders will do and the broker will more then likely get you a better rate.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:13 AM

54 posts, read 264,113 times
I have to slightly disagree with VictorBurek. A piggyback mortgage is not always the best option. It almost guarantees you to have to refi later on. If you gt a good fixed loan now, you will be set. I say you need to get an FHA approval and run with it. You can put the 3.5% down and be done.

The 1.75% UFPMI is correct as of Oct 1. Good luck in your endeavors.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:32 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,144,755 times
Why would you have to refi late if you do a piggyback??

Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,591,954 times
Does anyone have a copy of the new MIP chart?

I'm still seeing 1.25%

edit/n/m found it.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 AM

253 posts, read 1,182,334 times
I thought 80/20's could not be done anymore?

I am working with a broker who is telling me my best option is a conventional mortgage but to buy out the PMI (approximately 4K) upfront to avoid paying it monthly. This had sounded fine to me until he said what they would do is bring my rate up and then buy it down, and that it is called "LPMI" or Lender Paid Mortgage Insurance. Is that correct or is that sketchy?

This is with 10% down on a 300K mortgage, Fico 790. I have a rate lock at 5.5% that expires soon.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 AM

5.5% with LPMI is very good.

Especially, if you're not paying much in lender fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokipenelope View Post
I thought 80/20's could not be done anymore?

I am working with a broker who is telling me my best option is a conventional mortgage but to buy out the PMI (approximately 4K) upfront to avoid paying it monthly. This had sounded fine to me until he said what they would do is bring my rate up and then buy it down, and that it is called "LPMI" or Lender Paid Mortgage Insurance. Is that correct or is that sketchy?

This is with 10% down on a 300K mortgage, Fico 790. I have a rate lock at 5.5% that expires soon.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,212,192 times
I googled "fha october 1sth" and the answers started turning up. Not really official but all the websites were saying the same thing. Looks like the 1.75% will last for one year.

I had no idea about the upfront cost of the FHA. I know the ammount is financed into the mortgage. I just hate it because I have great credit, stable job history, and money to put it down. It sort of makes me sick that I will have to pay for that 1.75% for the next 30 years.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 AM

1.75% is an upfront fee which can be rolled into the mortgage or paid out of pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
I googled "fha october 1sth" and the answers started turning up. Not really official but all the websites were saying the same thing. Looks like the 1.75% will last for one year.

I had no idea about the upfront cost of the FHA. I know the ammount is financed into the mortgage. I just hate it because I have great credit, stable job history, and money to put it down. It sort of makes me sick that I will have to pay for that 1.75% for the next 30 years.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:38 AM

253 posts, read 1,182,334 times
They are charging 1% as an origination fee - it kinda bugs me as the previous brokers I've quoted with have been 1/2%, but they were not willing to provide as low of a rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages