Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 12:41 PM

200 posts, read 555,148 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I have a client with a VA loan in NJ buying a house with a well. There have been several tests done, coliform didn't pass at laundry sink, ph needed treatment.
Owner shocked the well, then new tests taken. Coliform passed, after treatment however WF is saying that the VA is requiring the coliform to pass before treatment!!
Went back to house yesterday, took water from holding tank and now the seller has installed a UV system to treat ongoing coliform at our request, so holding tank only place available for 'pure' water.
Coliform failed!!!!!

My buyers are out of their minds as we are due to close on Monday and we can't without a 'passing' well test.

From what I am reading online it seems that the Cleveland VA center governs NJ and they have on their site that water from the faucet is acceptable, but they don't mention that it has to be 'pre treatment'.

Is this a Wells Fargo requirement or is our loan officer incorrect and possibly causing my buyers to lose the house?

Anyone have any thoughts????

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 03:27 PM

1,094 posts, read 884,020 times
You have to get the existing coliform and coliform nutrients out of the house pipes too. Otherwise, coliform grows in the pipes and shows up on the tests.

UV does not kill bacteria that grow in pipes that are after the UV device.

The plumbing needs to be disinfected, flushed, and tested.

Note that the UV kills the coliform, but does not get rid of the dead bacteria. If the test looks for bacteria bodies, the dead ones still cause the test to fail.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:28 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Hi, I just looked it up and as much as I want to tell you they're wrong, I believe they are correct. In Chapter 12, Section 8, the VA Lender's Handbook basically states the well must be able to pass on its own.

However, if you can provide a letter from the local health authority a copy of the health department letter confirming the aquifer contamination and evidence that all of the requirements in HUD Mortgagee Letters 92-18 and 95-34, concerning individual water purification systems, have been met for the property, and, the veteran purchaser's written acknowledgment that he/she understands that the well water serving the property must be continuously treated by the homeowner, as required by the local health department, to be considered safe for human consumption.

Letter 92-18 is missing from here: 1992 Mortgagee Letters

Letter 95-34 is here: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/docu...=DOC_16735.txt

So, what you do is reply to their processor, that it is your understanding if the health department signs off on the well in a letter and,the Veteran acknowledges he will be responsible for treating the well as long as he owns the home and he still wishes to purchase the property, you may move forward.

But you are in a tough place. This well will never pass a VA, USDA, or FHA water test. You represent the seller, who must disclose this to any future homebuyer if this one walks away....and the Veteran can. All contracts, appraisals and loan commitments favor our Armed Forces.

You can find the Lender's Handbook here: Lenders Handbook - VA Pamphlet 26-7 - Web Automated Reference Material System

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages