Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 PM

32 posts, read 121,116 times

Advertisements

What, legally, can inhouse mortgage companies share with builders. More specifically is we are building a home and the builder has a mortgage arm and we apply for a mortgage with their sister company, what information can they legally share with the actually builder. Same parent company, different divisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
You might get a better response in the mortgage forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/mortgages/

The only thing builders are concerned about is your ability to qualify and close. Are you concerned that if the builder knows more, you will lose negotiating power? Have you shopped the loan elsewhere?

Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 AM

No. We filled out financial info for a home with a builder whose parent company owns a mortgage division. The info was sent directly to the mortgage division. The mortgage division then sent the info to the builder. I am trying to find out if that is legal.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default If you don't feel you are being treated fairly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingToEscapeTheMadness View Post
No. We filled out financial info for a home with a builder whose parent company owns a mortgage division. The info was sent directly to the mortgage division. The mortgage division then sent the info to the builder. I am trying to find out if that is legal.

... does not matter what is "legal" as I really doubt that you want a criminal or civil suit from trying to buy / finance a home. If you are not comfortable, and have not signed anything / made deposit then you can stop dealing with these people.

If you have signed something / made deposit get an attorney to help you determine your best course of action.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 AM

I appreciate your response but I am not asking for a value judgement just the facts.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:10 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingToEscapeTheMadness View Post
I appreciate your response but I am not asking for a value judgement just the facts.
The facts are that you need to speak to an attorney in the state involved. Another fact is that seeking legal advice on an anonymous message board is precarious at best, and that's not a value judgement, just a fact.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
The facts are that you need to speak to an attorney in the state involved. Another fact is that seeking legal advice on an anonymous message board is precarious at best, and that's not a value judgement, just a fact.
Wow..so much hostility. Not seeking legal advise, thought since so many professionals regularly peruse these boards someone might actually be familiar with the RESPA laws or whatever laws apply.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:10 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,662 times
I am thinking you went with the builder's mortgage company to save $$ and making the same attempt to seek advice on this board. You get what you pay for.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
I am thinking you went with the builder's mortgage company to save $$ and making the same attempt to seek advice on this board. You get what you pay for.
Nope....Wrong on both counts. But thank you for playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages