Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:02 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times

Advertisements

I bought my house way before the bubble, and put nothing down. As a recently divorced single parent at the time, I had good credit and a decent paying job, but no cash. I guess I never thought about it, but I was "upside down" for the first 8 or 9 years I lived here. But I didn't buy my house as an investment; I bought it as a place to live. After paying my mortgage for all of those years, real estate went through the roof and my house suddenly tripled in value, at least on paper. But it never occured to me to pull out my equity and blow it on fancy cars or vacations or other frivolous purchases. I refinanced to lower my rate and reduce the term, and kept on making payments.

Now things have settled down, and my house is worth about double what I paid back in 1993. Meanwhile, I've steadily made payments, and I now have an asset that I would not have had if I had been paying rent this last 15 or 16 years. But that wasn't why I bought in the first place. It was to provide my family with a stable, secure place to live without being at the mercy of some landlord who might decide to sell, or raise the rent, or just not renew the lease.

The problem, isn't that people can buy homes with no money down, it's that people were buying them for the wrong reason - as a quick way to make a buck instead of as a place to put down roots. Lenders just need to reduce risk by requiring documentation and only lending to responsible borrowers with decent credit and reliable incomes. And buyers need to realize that they are purchasing a house for the long term, and not as a money-making scheme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 06:03 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
They still do 0 down these days?

VA loans do not require anything down. I could have put money down, but we did the numbers and it would have cost more in the long run. We don't plan on retiring in this house, it will sell when the economy is turned around and we can make money on it, until then my money is working for me elsewhere.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:29 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Now things have settled down, and my house is worth about double what I paid back in 1993. Meanwhile, I've steadily made payments, and I now have an asset that I would not have had if I had been paying rent this last 15 or 16 years. But that wasn't why I bought in the first place. It was to provide my family with a stable, secure place to live without being at the mercy of some landlord who might decide to sell, or raise the rent, or just not renew the lease.

Boy, you must be OLD, don't you know you should use the equity in your home like an ATM???

Old 08-18-2009, 04:31 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I know alot of people who lok at too much maney in their homes as bad investments not working for them. I also know many that put little down and made out like bandits in the past. Its like anyhting tho. Otherwise no on ewould buy a nnew car as your in the hole once you take poseesion really. It really depends on teh person and thier views on risk and why they are buying the home.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:33 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
When you bought your first home housing median price was 1.5-2x median individual income, which meant 20% down was still less than inflation adjusted 10% down on a median house price in 2009 dollars. Which meant, you actually had less skin in the game than the proverbial 10% guy today.

What a silly boomer thing to say.......
maybe what we need to see is housing to be allowed to drop to its actual worth, instead of being propped up artificially by the government.

people could then put 20% down and be able to afford to live in their homes.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:51 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
When we bought our first you could not do it without putting down 20%, financially irresponsible or not.

Silly thing to say. Must be some young whippersnapper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
When you bought your first home housing median price was 1.5-2x median individual income, which meant 20% down was still less than inflation adjusted 10% down on a median house price in 2009 dollars. Which meant, you actually had less skin in the game than the proverbial 10% guy today.

What a silly boomer thing to say.......
Totally agree with hingsight2020 here.

My first house, bought in 2003, a year out of grad school, earning $60k/year, living in Washington, DC. Rents running $1200/month. To be able to buy a house by Tek_Freak's rules, I would have needed to save the equivelent of over half my yearly income, just to get into the townhome I bought ($140k). How exactly is one supposed to save up half their income while living in a high cost area? Oh, I bet Tek_Freak figures we should have lived off my non-existant husband's income and saved mine*. Never missed a payment, never went underwater. Oh, and btw, I one point I refied into an intrest-only 7-1 ARM. Hang me out to dry now for being a terribly irresponsible kid! Sold that house a couple years ago, now sitting on a depreciating house, but such is life. I wouldn't walk away, I care about my obligations and credit too much.

* even now married that wouldn't work, shocking to Boomer's I'm sure, but I earn twice as much.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:21 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,875 times
What is up with people thinking that "Appraised Value" is what one can SELL their house for?
People do realize that if you are buying the said house and it is apprasied for more doesn't matter since until YOU ponied up no one else was buying it for MORE than what you just paid right?

+ when you buy a house you drop around 3% on closing costs and when you sell you drop another 6% on average (with realtor) to sell. Do you take that into account?

Old 08-19-2009, 02:34 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,906 times
Ain't the trend these days is to ask the seller for closing cost or a portion of it since it's a buyers market now. At least that's what HGTV is portraying. True or not. I don't know.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:11 PM

328 posts, read 885,887 times
Not true. Closing costs can cost $30,000 in NYC.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:46 PM

830 posts, read 2,711,437 times
Quote:
"responsible adults" pay their bills... no matter how much money they put down. So, if somebody has strong credit and the bank wants to give them a loan with 5% or 3.5% down, I don't see an issue... provided they could make the payment... and have shown they're inclined to do so. How much they put in to get there doesn't matter much.
Yep. I paid 3% down (FHA) and qualified for some other loans with higher down payments too but chose not to take them. I have a steady, but not huge income and have always had excellent credit. I bought a relatively inexpensive house. I've never missed a mortgage payment (or any other bill), can't foresee doing so in the future, and have savings to cover emergencies.

Frankly I don't care whether I'm "underwater" on paper, because I'm not selling the house. I need to live somewhere, this house suits my purposes, and I'd be paying rent if I didn't have it - and would have had a very hard or impossible time finding a place to rent that would have suited my needs.

So who cares how much I put down? I'm as responsible as they come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages