Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:09 PM

768 posts, read 942,486 times

Advertisements

However, my father can cosign; he has a (mostly) stable work history(10+ years at six figures with same employer, recently got laid off, out of work for over a year, now making six figs again) and a 700ish credit score. My credit score is 650; never been late on a payment, just had high credit card debt that I payed off all at once. I've never had a real job long enough to note.

Can I get a home loan? How should I pursue it, HUD? If not, is my best option a owner financed loan? I know they can kill you on the interest rate, but it's better than renting, no?

Thanks so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 11:36 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
How do you expect to pay the mortgage with no steady employment and why would anyone in their right mind want to give you one?

If I were you I wouldn't ask my father to co-sign onto such conditions either. What if he loses his job again and has to worry about carrying you too?

Either find a place you can buy for the cash you have or get a two family which entire rent will pay the mortgage.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:26 AM

768 posts, read 942,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
How do you expect to pay the mortgage with no steady employment and why would anyone in their right mind want to give you one?

If I were you I wouldn't ask my father to co-sign onto such conditions either. What if he loses his job again and has to worry about carrying you too?

Either find a place you can buy for the cash you have or get a two family which entire rent will pay the mortgage.
Well, I play poker for a living. I pay taxes but it's not consistent with the type of employment lenders are satisfied with. In some states this is changing, but not in mine. And so I have steady employment, it's just that I cannot get a standard loan on my own due to aforementioned reasons.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:54 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,083 times
You could possibly go through a hard money lender but the terms would not be great. Expensive loan and close to double digit rates.

You might also consider buying a owner financed home where the seller of the home finances the purchase but going through a traditional bank will not be feasable for you in today's market.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:14 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,707 times
could you take a personal loan from you father and just buy a home outright and pay him back (I would assume he probably trusts you due to the fact he is willing to put the name on the loan)--?

Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
If you can put "up to 40% down" why not just take that 40% and buy a house outright that is valued at that amount of money? Anyone who lends you money with your record is nuts or will charge you double digit interest and break your kneecaps if you default.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:22 AM

136 posts, read 378,898 times
if you are desperate for solutions then its not time. co-signing, do you really want your first house dependent on your parents? or even a personal loan from them sucks because they have plans and now they have to lend it to you, there may be some resentment, renting is not a bad option. you don't have to pay the taxes at least not directly, or the insurance, water bill, school taxes, property improvements, and if you want to relocate or move you give your 30 days and go. your options are open. if you rent a condo you don't even mow the lawn. i take it you have at least 40 grand you could maybe rent with the option to buy until your job history is deeper.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:10 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
In all the banks that I've worked for you couldn't be considered a Borrower or even co-borrower. Your Dad could be the Borrower and you could be a co-owner of the asset, but with no credible source of income you couldn't qualify to borrow anything more than what your adjusted tangible net worth would allow.

Unless you have a credible source of income (which could include income from trusts, investments, etc), you can't really qualify for a loan.

In other words you want to borrow 100K with no income? I hope you have 100K in assets assigned to the bank. Prefereably a CD.

Last edited by Threerun; 10-20-2009 at 12:36 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
I see. A lender is probably not going to be feasible. However, if an owner is willing to take back the paper on their home based upon seeing your income tax filing that would be a decent option. The only problem with that is that the house must be free and clear from any current mortgages, ie, paid off.

Why not try winning one in a game?

Old 10-20-2009, 12:44 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
No, don't get a mortgage!!!!! You'll end up paying upwards of 3x more for the home than if you paid cash.

If you can put down 40%....buy a house outright (find a fixeruper or forclosure) or save more and then buy one.

Mortgages are for people who don't have the money to buy a home (not necessarily poor people...just people buying something they don't have the money for). It sounds like you are resourceful and can avoid that altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages