Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:53 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times

Advertisements

To the OP:
You will lose much sleep between now and Nov 15th (or 30th).

The loan process is not simple. No one is on your side. Put pressure on anyone you can to move things faster. Bluff your mortgage broker that you might walk from the deal.

Also, I will reiterate what some others said: A flipped house should be purchased with extreme caution. Ever watch DIY network (or that other one?) with the 'Flip That House' show? Flippers cut all sorts of corners (the ones in the show are probably not even the worst out there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 12:57 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile 91st Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Uh, the 90 day rule requires that you can't have an accepted contract until the 91st day. How can you already be doing the appraisal?
I was going to say the same thing. This was my understanding. Get the contract extended till November 30th and make sure all documents are dated after November 5th.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:03 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile 91st Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Uh, the 90 day rule requires that you can't have an accepted contract until the 91st day. How can you already be doing the appraisal?
I was going to say the same thing. This was my understanding. Get the contract extended till November 30th and make sure all documents are dated after November 5th.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:42 PM

42 posts, read 98,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
This is what we're doing. Appraisal will be done after the 5th, sorry if I wasn't clear. I just found out that we don't even have rates locked in yet because we have to wait until after the 5th before we have the contract. Is that ridiculous? I feel like we don't really have any control.

The mortgage broker we're using seems to be slow to reply to questions and doesn't update me as much as I like. I'm just waiting to see how the appraisal goes, I'm willing to walk away from the house if need be. It will be devastating as we love the house, and we will have to look for another place to rent asap, but I don't want to let emotions cloud our judgment.

As for flipped houses, I agree they are risky as well. The inspection was done by a reputable company though, we have no choice but to trust in what they say....

Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiren View Post
This is what we're doing. Appraisal will be done after the 5th, sorry if I wasn't clear. I just found out that we don't even have rates locked in yet because we have to wait until after the 5th before we have the contract. Is that ridiculous? I feel like we don't really have any control.

The mortgage broker we're using seems to be slow to reply to questions and doesn't update me as much as I like. I'm just waiting to see how the appraisal goes, I'm willing to walk away from the house if need be. It will be devastating as we love the house, and we will have to look for another place to rent asap, but I don't want to let emotions cloud our judgment.

As for flipped houses, I agree they are risky as well. The inspection was done by a reputable company though, we have no choice but to trust in what they say....
So you even paid for an inspection without a contract? You are a gambler . There is also a risk that another buyer could come in with cash or another loan that does not have to follow the 90 day rule. If I were the flipper, I'd want to sell ASAP to minimize costs and not gamble on waiting to the end of 90 days to sell. However, since deadline is up soon, probably not a real issue for you now.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:51 AM

102 posts, read 272,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Basically the IRS is pointing out guidelines that will AUDIT huge percentage of these deals. Do not try anything creative. Here are the rules:

First-Time Homebuyer Credit Questions and Answers: Homes Purchased in 2009
@ Chet Everett - The question I posed was as it was - a QUESTION - Not trying anything 'creative'.....just trying to get some knowledge on the situation....because I did not know how it worked....thanks for the link anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages