Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:47 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I, like many, have a dream of owning a home. I'm a young guy in my 20s, but in my heart I feel ready, but I'm discouraged by the prospect of trying to save 20%.

I have a steady, secure job. I've been working three years since school for the same company, and the company has been growing despite the recession. I have a great salary, no CC debt, about $8K left in student loan debt, and a growing 401(k). Using mortgage preapproval calculators online, and an assumed rate of 5.75% (conservatively assuming I won't get the best rate out there), it seems I can afford to borrow $260K. And looking at what the payments would be, it's the same as I pay now in rent. So I feel "I can afford" a nice place.

BUT I don't have 20% of $260K (that's $52K) saved. I have less than half, actually. And that includes my "rainy day" fund. I'm not fortunate enough to have a mommy and daddy with tons of cash to help me out either. Extending my budget and savings schedule out, it would take me about 6 years to save $52K on top of my rainy day fund. 6 years. I don't want to wait 6 years to buy, and would love to buy within one year or two if possible.

With all of the press about hoops buyers have to leap through in these troubling times, are low down payment mortgages over? Depending on the response I hear here, I'll talk with a lender, but I want to know if it's even worth considering, or if they'll laugh me out of the office.

Does anyone have recent experience? Recommendations for how to proceed if it's even possible? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 02:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
of course not, they are a thing of the present. first time buyers do not need 20%.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:01 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Hi everyone. I, like many, have a dream of owning a home. I'm a young guy in my 20s, but in my heart I feel ready, but I'm discouraged by the prospect of trying to save 20%.

I have a steady, secure job. I've been working three years since school for the same company, and the company has been growing despite the recession. I have a great salary, no CC debt, about $8K left in student loan debt, and a growing 401(k). Using mortgage preapproval calculators online, and an assumed rate of 5.75% (conservatively assuming I won't get the best rate out there), it seems I can afford to borrow $260K. And looking at what the payments would be, it's the same as I pay now in rent. So I feel "I can afford" a nice place.

BUT I don't have 20% of $260K (that's $52K) saved. I have less than half, actually. And that includes my "rainy day" fund. I'm not fortunate enough to have a mommy and daddy with tons of cash to help me out either. Extending my budget and savings schedule out, it would take me about 6 years to save $52K on top of my rainy day fund. 6 years. I don't want to wait 6 years to buy, and would love to buy within one year or two if possible.

With all of the press about hoops buyers have to leap through in these troubling times, are low down payment mortgages over? Depending on the response I hear here, I'll talk with a lender, but I want to know if it's even worth considering, or if they'll laugh me out of the office.

Does anyone have recent experience? Recommendations for how to proceed if it's even possible? Thanks!
Plenty of low down payment options. The lowest being a FHA loan that requires only 3.5% down. This option is available today at 5.0% on a 30year fixed rate loan.

You can go with a conventional loan with 5% or 10% depending on what part of the country you are in.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:28 PM

283 posts, read 900,437 times
How about if you buy less house than you can 'afford'? Are there decent houses in stable neighborhoods available for less than $260K in your area?

Old 01-29-2010, 05:30 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Plenty of low down payment options. The lowest being a FHA loan that requires only 3.5% down. This option is available today at 5.0% on a 30year fixed rate loan.

You can go with a conventional loan with 5% or 10% depending on what part of the country you are in.
I'll look into the FHA option, thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykat&joe View Post
How about if you buy less house than you can 'afford'? Are there decent houses in stable neighborhoods available for less than $260K in your area?
A 1br-1ba condo averages over $300K in this town. I'm looking in a neighboring town, seeing some 2br-1ba places asking around $275-350K. I'm looking at the lower end of that, obviously. Property in northern NJ isn't cheap, unfortunately.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:06 PM

572 posts, read 1,611,066 times
Wow, I just bought a new construction 1100 sq ft 2 bedroom 2 bath condo 15 minutes from the beach in NC for $140,000. Glad I don't live in NJ.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I would strongly recommend that someone who is still in their 20s, unmarried, only three years wth current employer and has student loan debt avoid spending anywhere near $260K regardless of what the 'affordability calculators' say.

Odds are high that you will want / need to move for business or personal reason in the next 5-7 years and it would be very difficult to so much as break even in that time frame on most real estate deals. The exception would be if you are open to buying place that needs a lot of work and building equity at a much accelerated rate by taking on the fix-up as second job. Over the course of several years it is entirely possible you could build the skills needed to really transform a run down place in a desirable area if things go your way.

Shopping for a property that is move-in ready would be a mistake...

Old 01-30-2010, 10:29 AM

152 posts, read 478,409 times
A couple suggestions - you should take into consideration your total debt to income ratio and make sure your monthly credit card, car payment, mortgage, and student loan payments do not exceed 36% of your monthly gross income. Your mortgage alone should not exceed 28-30% of your gross income. That will help gauge how much you can pay for a mortgage. Sounds like you've already got your other savings and retirement goals addressed, so just be sure you won't have to compromise those once you take on a mortgagel

FHA does only require 3.5% down and you may be able to get some help with closing costs from the seller. I think they are changing the max you can get for closing costs from 6% to only 3%, so again, ask your lenders.

A note about mortgage calculators - some do not take into consideration the right taxes and insurance amounts, so be sure you have the right numbers. Also, FHA will roll in PMI (private mortgage insurance which you will need as you don't have 20% down), so that will drive up your payment a little bit too. I think FHA PMI is around 2.25% upfront now, but check with your lenders.

Hope this helps and good luck to you. Definitely do your homework with your lenders before going house shopping. We learned that FHA loan maximums in our county limits our options, which was good to know before we started shopping!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:31 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
FHA is a great program
I would also check to see if your own state has special programs for mortgages or 1st time home buyers

Old 01-31-2010, 07:27 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,339 times
People need to qualify their puritan answers before lashing on this guy. Let's keep in mind that today's 20% was yesterday's 50% down. This is to say, 20% down is a façade. Once interest rates skyrocket, his current savings could very well likely exceed 20% down on the same property, when said property plummets in price consumerate to interest rate (the sole and REAL indicator of market price of a property in the market of cash-broke FICO addicts we call america).

This is to say, it's foolish to dump your liquid on an overpriced matchbox in the age of 4.5% interest rates. You should do the opposite. Or go LOW in price, and be able to insulate yourself from the coming correction. But the other posters are right, you're not likely to come out ahead if you purchase a home in your life situation. Your very motivations in life are more likely to change between 25 and 30yo than the likelihood of staying in that property enough time to break even. If you think interest rates will be still low in 7 years when you'll probably be wanting to sell (like clockwork) I got a bridge to sell ya. You should keep yourself mobile and untied to ticking time bombs (home prices in low interest rate environments). I'd rent. I'd also move the heck out of NJ, but to each their own. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages