Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 11,890 times

Advertisements

I wanted to refinance my mortgage, got approved for 5%(currently i am paying 6.75%). I assumed that the value of the property would have went down but should still be able to do a refinance.

Boy was I wrong, still owe 275k on the mortgage, but the appraisal listed the condo at 205k, purchased for 286k. we lost 81k in value since september 2007.

While this sounds tragic its really not that big of a deal with exception that I can't refinance. I have no intensions of selling. In a few years when we plan to move I will rent the condo out as it is in a growing college town that always has high demand for rental units. College has stated that they will also be increasing the number of students in the school.

So my big problem is not being able to refinance. The loan is not FHA so I dont qualify for the new government programs. Does anyone know of any programs that could be used to get my rate down. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,875 times
Only thing I think you could do is pay down your mortgage enough to allow a refi. Though not many people have 70k+ to do so. That is my only suggestion. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Sadly I doubt that the lender will help out, and the only reason they might is if you are in dire straits -- drastic cut in income, health problems, death of spouse. Still you might try, as many other do.

The general "plan of attack" is to determine if your loan is part of Fannie / Freddie pool, NOT just FHA. There are web sites to help you do that. In such cases the rules are different and you MIGHT be able to do a streamline modification.
If your loan is NOT part of Fannie/ Freddie that is still no guarantee that the company that is servicing it really hold the whole loan, but the rules are instead set by their own "hardship" guidelines instead a Federal regulations.
http://www.freddiemac.com/corporate/buyown/english/avoiding_foreclosure/avoiding_foreclosure_form.html

http://loanlookup.fanniemae.com/loanlookup/

Get as much paper work together as you can, about the loan itself, your income, your "hardship" and then dial the lender at the "special number" they almost certainly have set up. Depending on if your situation is one that fits into the scenario they plan for you may be able to get a rate cut and/or change in length in loan that would reduce your payment. Much harder to get lender to accept change in value...

Sounds like you have a decent attitude toward this and frankly I know folks that if they were 'only' looking at a 30% decline in value of their condo would be doing ***!

Good Luck!

Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imompero View Post
I wanted to refinance my mortgage, got approved for 5%(currently i am paying 6.75%). I assumed that the value of the property would have went down but should still be able to do a refinance.

Boy was I wrong, still owe 275k on the mortgage, but the appraisal listed the condo at 205k, purchased for 286k. we lost 81k in value since september 2007.

While this sounds tragic its really not that big of a deal with exception that I can't refinance. I have no intensions of selling. In a few years when we plan to move I will rent the condo out as it is in a growing college town that always has high demand for rental units. College has stated that they will also be increasing the number of students in the school.

So my big problem is not being able to refinance. The loan is not FHA so I dont qualify for the new government programs. Does anyone know of any programs that could be used to get my rate down. Thanks in advance.
You haven't LOST anything unless you sell. Live with the co9nsiquenses of your own actions, pay your mortgage and hang on until such time as you can either make money or afford the loss

Old 01-07-2010, 02:48 PM

531 posts, read 2,898,606 times
I was in basically the same situation as you when mortgage rates really started to drop. I discovered the same thing, I wouldn't be able to refinance as I owed more than home was worth. However, in talking to my lender, rather than do a refinance they did a "loan modification", basically just got me a lower rate and I didn't have to go through the appraisal process. I'm now at a 4.99% rate, was at 5.75%. Step one is just call your lender and talk to them. Imply that if they don't work with you, you'll find someone who will and they will lose your loan; you won't be upside down forever and you'll be able to refi at some point.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:19 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Great suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
I was in basically the same situation as you when mortgage rates really started to drop. I discovered the same thing, I wouldn't be able to refinance as I owed more than home was worth. However, in talking to my lender, rather than do a refinance they did a "loan modification", basically just got me a lower rate and I didn't have to go through the appraisal process. I'm now at a 4.99% rate, was at 5.75%. Step one is just call your lender and talk to them. Imply that if they don't work with you, you'll find someone who will and they will lose your loan; you won't be upside down forever and you'll be able to refi at some point.
I was going to suggest the above. There are programs through Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that will go to 125% of the value but even with that, it leaves you with having to come up with money.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imompero View Post

Have you looked through this site? Making Home Affordable - Home
And then just because one lender doesn't want to refinance you doesn't mean another won't.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:48 AM

531 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I was going to suggest the above. There are programs through Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that will go to 125% of the value but even with that, it leaves you with having to come up with money.
Just to clarify, in my case I didn't go through any of the Fannie/Freddie programs. They simply modified the terms of my existing mortgage, specifically the rate. Cost me about $1,500.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:42 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Just a question-------If a condo is appraised at $205K, and you need it refinanced to cover an existing $275k mortgage-----------------why in the world would any company be willing to do it ?

Also, why should they even be allowed to do it? ( loan 30% over appraised value )

Have we learned nothing from this mess that just happened ?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The man is shopping for a lower interest rate, not for a smaller mortgage. I suggest talking with your lender and several other banks. Avoid "mortgage" companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages