Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,901 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are trying to get a mortgage and we could really use some advice. He has a great credit score 760+ and I have a horrible credit score (I don't even know what the number is, but it's bad), the majority of my bad marks come from student loans (now consolidated and in good standing) and old credit cards from college and right after I graduated. He makes 29,000/yr and I make 43,000/yr. He's a grad student at Yale so hopefully his income will rise a bit once he finishes his PhD program (in about a year and a half) and finds a job.

The problem is that we'd like to get the loan completely in his name, because of his high credit rating and use my earnings as additional income on the mortgage application. The house we're looking at ($238,000) is a 2 family so we'd have additional rental income as well. We talked with one bank who told us that he could not use my earnings or the rental as additional income and since his yearly salary is so low, he wouldn't qualify for a loan for a house at that price.

Additional info: We'd be putting $20,000 as a down payment which is about $4,000 less than 10%. We currently comfortably pay $1,400/mth for rent so we can definitely afford the house, especially with the rental income (the unit we'd be renting out currently rents for $850/mth).

Any suggestions? Or are we out of luck on this particular house and should look for something cheaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:32 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,019,437 times
The only way to use your income will be to add you to the mortgage, but your bad credit might disqualify you. You could do the loan in just his name and find a co-signer.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:01 PM

43 posts, read 146,472 times
If you don't know your credit score, why don't you just find out? It may not be as bad as you think, but mostly, not knowing your financial may lead to another challenge during the transaction. I would think it's a great opportunity to pull all the information and get a better financial picture to plan the house purchase.

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard it's good to start looking the property that's priced at your gross annual income x 2. Also, you must consider, the insurance premium would be higher if you have a rental unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages