Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times

Advertisements

What do Harleys and German Shepards have in common, they both like riding in the back of pick ups. Well, I think that riding a Harley is just a choice issue, yes their loud. They really got a bad deal when AMF manufactured the bikes, at best they were a piece of crap. Today their a pretty good bike, even though there assembled in America with overseas parts. I wouldn't choose a Harley if I like riding, I chose a Goldwing, their made for riding and performance and they are American made, well most of the bike is made in Marysville, OH with very little overseas parts, that is up until 2010, then they move the manufacturing back to Japan.
If you like the Harley culture, then go fo it, but I think it's over rated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 09:42 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
What do Harleys and German Shepards have in common, they both like riding in the back of pick ups. Well, I think that riding a Harley is just a choice issue, yes their loud. They really got a bad deal when AMF manufactured the bikes, at best they were a piece of crap. Today their a pretty good bike, even though there assembled in America with overseas parts. I wouldn't choose a Harley if I like riding, I chose a Goldwing, their made for riding and performance and they are American made, well most of the bike is made in Marysville, OH with very little overseas parts, that is up until 2010, then they move the manufacturing back to Japan.
If you like the Harley culture, then go fo it, but I think it's over rated.
I have been riding for fifty years. I have owned a lot of bikes during that time. My favorite bikes are the Harley Sportsters. I have owned a few Hogs also but I never cared for them. The Sportster is a good Hot Rod bike. Stock they are underpowered by with a bit of cash they can be modified to turn them in to a machine that will handle decently and go like a raped ape. Even a stroked Sportster with all the performance enhancements available is NOT a match for a Hayabusa with a competent rider but how many street riders are capable of handling a bike like that? Not many.

The ONE thing Harley has that no other manufacturer can beat is the SOUND. The sound has kept them in business with a low tech machine that just keeps hanging in there.

GL2

Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 PM

718 posts, read 1,149,520 times
I'm done with crotch rockets now. I'm looking for a cruiser.

I like the "style" and the "sound" of several of the Harley models. The belt drive too. Right now, I'm on a decent and reliable rice burner. But I plan to get a Harley as soon as I can round up the money. Maybe a VRSC or a Sportster.

I know there are better, faster, more reliable and cheaper bikes. There always will be, no matter what bike you buy now. But there's just something about Harley motorcycles, whether moving or parked. It just looks nice!

With regards to the "loud pipes saves lives", there is some truth to that. I hate the obnoxiously loud pipes that shatter your eardrums. But as a car driver, I definitely am more aware of motorcycles in the vicinity the moment I hear the exhaust pipes. I can't see them, but am more careful just hearing them because I know one is close by.

Just yesterday, as I was driving in the middle lane of a three lane highway, a motorcycle passed me on the right hand side. It was so quiet that I didn't realize he was there till he passed me. I never did get the make of that bike, but it made me realize again that he should get louder pipes because "loud pipes do save lives". Just not obnoxiously, ear-drum bashing pipes.

I didn't even have the car radio on, had my left window down, enjoying the nice day and still didn't hear the motorcycle close by. Nowadays, a lot of cagers have too many distractions: radio/cd, cell phones, etc...

Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
If we motorcyclists have to rely on loud pipes to keep us from being run into, we're in big trouble. Cage drivers need to take a good look and use a turn signal before they change lanes! I ride with the thought, "What can that car/truck possibly do to hurt me?" It's the only way.

I like Harleys well enough and like the way they sound if they aren't terribly loud. But they aren't my favorite bike.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
What do you like or dislike about Harley Davidson and why do you own one or not own one?
A Harley is all about persona. People who don't put more than a few hundred miles a year on their Harley can still *feel* like a serious biker.

I started riding dirt bikes when I was 12. I started riding on the street before I had a car license.

I have an 1800cc Honda that is fuel injected and liquid cooled with front-rear brake balancing for cornering stability. I'm pretty sure it was manufactured in Maryland, USA.

New Harley's are just a recently manufactured *old* bike. I think they only have one model that is liquid cooled. I went riding with a guy on a Harley and it overheated in traffic and stopped running.

You should buy a bike based on quality and features not because it is made in the USA or some other sales *trickery*. I'm all for buying American if it's a quality product. But, Harley's are so far behind other bikes that I wouldn't even bother considering buying one.

Don't be mistaken. They could be made to compete with other brands. But, it seems the Harley customer wants what Harley makes now and from a business point of view Harley should give them what they want.

I know there are some people who ride Harley's that don't like people who ride other brands. But, that's because that's the kind of people they are. They're gonna' hate others for some reason or another.

Since I've been riding so long I know many people who ride Harley's and it doesn't matter to me just as long as they can ride safely.

My view of riding is a bit different than most. I ride to ride. I don't go to the nearest bar. I like to ride for 6 - 12 hours in a day. Any ride less than 4 hours is just for "holding me over" until the next real ride.

If I were you I would get the new BMW s1000rr. It has traction control, lean angle trottle feathering, front and rear anti-lock brakes, wheelie control, and it produces the most hp per liter.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
10% unemployment in the USA because people just refuse to pay a couple of bucks more for American made.
That's not true. I pay more for things made in the USA quite frequently. But, I'm gonna' buy based on quality and features, not marketing hype.

Last edited by Rich_CD; 06-15-2011 at 04:51 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
One jackarse that lived by me in Chicago loved to open it up in our neighborhood at 6AM on his way to work most days of the summer.
Let's be clear on one thing. If you're not gonna' open it up, then throw it in a dumpster.

There truely is a safety factor with loud bikes. But, I like mine quiet and fast.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:23 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Let's be clear on one thing. If you're not gonna' open it up, then throw it in a dumpster.

There truely is a safety factor with loud bikes. But, I like mine quiet and fast.
Yep. I have a sportscar with >500HP stock and I'm not a D_bag to my neighbors by rattling their windows on my way to work in the AM.

I have no problem opening it up, just where and when. Besides, go ahead and open up most harleys.....which are slower than most "cages" anymore and certainly a heckuva lot slower than my car.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:33 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times
Loud pipes may be safer, but why is those that have them rarely wear full face helmets or armored riding gear?

I would say people who ride bikes who don't have a Harley don't like the elitist attitude from many Harley riders.

People who don't ride don't like the obnoxiously loud pipes or the persona, just like they don't like crazy sportbike antics.

It's more about what the Harley represents than the machines themselves.

I've been in to the lightweight sport touring bikes recently and if Buell weren't out of business, probably would have ended up with one. Their philosophy matches my own: lightweight, simple, air-cooled, no frills.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Rich_CD: I think you meant to say "Marysville, Ohio, USA" rather than "Maryland, USA".

Most cages are slower from 0-60 mph than a Harley, but they have more top end. Of course, the fast cages are faster all around. I like for bikes to be fast and quiet also.

Good points, johnnytang24. Although the Buell 1125 wasn't air-cooled or simple!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles