Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:37 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,557 times

Advertisements

I have aspirations of one day owning a large HD touring bike. But right now I ride a 150 cc scooter which is great for short hops around the neighborhood. But I need to get a small motorcycle to start developing my riding skills. I owned a Ninja 500 but that was nearly 20 years ago. I'm thinking of a used Honda Rebel this time. After a few years on that, could I feasibly jump straight to a large Harley touring model? I don't see the point of jumping through all the displacements in between. The shifting, brakes, and physics are all the same, just larger. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
How about getting that Motorcycle Safety Course class passed and then making an informed decision about the practicality of buying & riding the bigger bike?

The Ninja 500 was a quicker and more nimble bike than the Road King, so you've already had that for experience.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
How about getting that Motorcycle Safety Course class passed and then making an informed decision about the practicality of buying & riding the bigger bike?

The Ninja 500 was a quicker and more nimble bike than the Road King, so you've already had that for experience.
I actually have my motorcycle endorsement already. It carried over from California about 17 years ago. However I would still take the course again to refresh myself.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:49 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
Well, it doesn't sound like you're new to motorcycles, just needing some refreshing after a long absence. The safety course might be a good place to start again, even if it was one of the more advanced safety courses to help refresh some of your skills. If you're riding around on a 150cc scooter, a 250cc rebel may actually be a step backwards in performance compared to forward...the only difference is that it's not step through, and has larger wheels.

If I was you, and worried about stepping up to a 1600+CC HD dresser, i'd start on a smaller bike, but nothing in the rebel 250 range, or even the 80's rebel 450. I'd probably check out a Honda Shadow Ace 750, or an Ace 1100. I know the 1100 at least uses a single pin crank design (to mimic the HD design) and creates a great Potato-potato-potato sound that is very very very similar to a HD product. As a result of the design of the engine and the weight of the bike, they're pretty "gutless" (not to offend anyone) given their displacement. They do however make decent torque for pulling things, and you could easily outfit it with some saddle bags to get your touring itch out of the way until you decide to purchase the dresser HD...but that'd be my choice if I were in your shoes.

PS - you could even feel good knowing those ACE model motorcycles were made right here in America as well!

check out this one: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/2992827924.html

lot of miles, but low price and tour ready.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:53 PM

I think you're right, a Shadow would be the way to go. The extra power and size will keep me content on it for a few years. Then when I get my dream Harley, I'll already have experience handling a bigger bike. And they're are a lot of used Honda Shadows available too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Well, it doesn't sound like you're new to motorcycles, just needing some refreshing after a long absence. The safety course might be a good place to start again, even if it was one of the more advanced safety courses to help refresh some of your skills. If you're riding around on a 150cc scooter, a 250cc rebel may actually be a step backwards in performance compared to forward...the only difference is that it's not step through, and has larger wheels.

If I was you, and worried about stepping up to a 1600+CC HD dresser, i'd start on a smaller bike, but nothing in the rebel 250 range, or even the 80's rebel 450. I'd probably check out a Honda Shadow Ace 750, or an Ace 1100. I know the 1100 at least uses a single pin crank design (to mimic the HD design) and creates a great Potato-potato-potato sound that is very very very similar to a HD product. As a result of the design of the engine and the weight of the bike, they're pretty "gutless" (not to offend anyone) given their displacement. They do however make decent torque for pulling things, and you could easily outfit it with some saddle bags to get your touring itch out of the way until you decide to purchase the dresser HD...but that'd be my choice if I were in your shoes.

PS - you could even feel good knowing those ACE model motorcycles were made right here in America as well!

check out this one: Honda 1100 Shadow Tourer, ACE '98

lot of miles, but low price and tour ready.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:29 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,173,463 times
The last person I knew who went from Ninja 500 to big Harley died on it, so approach that with caution. My experience on the big twins was that they are overweight and the power isn't what it should be for that bike. Your mileage my vary.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,822 times
Imagine all the folks who started on a Sportster and then jumped up to a dresser. As long as you give yourself plenty of time to learn how to handle the big bike I'd think you'd be ok after a couple of seasons riding a smaller crusier.

Check out the Ride like a pro videos, they toss dressers around like they're 250cc

I'm a Triumph guy but I've always imagined myself on a Road King later in life.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:47 PM

929 posts, read 2,722,327 times
With practice and training you should be fine. Get the DVD 'Ride Like a Pro" .
It gives you some basic tips from a X Motorcycle Cop, those "motormen" make riding a Road King look like a Trail 70.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:16 PM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Imagine all the folks who started on a Sportster and then jumped up to a dresser. As long as you give yourself plenty of time to learn how to handle the big bike I'd think you'd be ok after a couple of seasons riding a smaller crusier.

Check out the Ride like a pro videos, they toss dressers around like they're 250cc

I'm a Triumph guy but I've always imagined myself on a Road King later in life.
One of my favorite videos, I think his name is Donnie Williams:

The Best US Police Motorcycle Driving - HNC - YouTube

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
If i were looking for a stepping stone up to a full dresser HD i'd look at something like a 2002 Yamaha VStar 650cc, i just got a hunch you'l get tired of the look,sound and performance of that Rebel in a real hurry.This or a Rebel? no brainer to me..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles