Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 01:53 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times

Advertisements

Aerostich is another gear brand with both high-viz colors and a good bit of reflective materials on their Standard gear. I've been trusting my life/health to their gear for nearly 2 decades now... have walked away from a freeway-speed down that ruined the suit too.

I bought a 1000' roll of 3M SOLAS (Safety Of Life At Sea ~ it's a coast-guard certification and I've not fond anything More reflective) that I add to Everything. Bike, helmet, bags, whatever... and there's a fabric equivalent that can be double-secured (adhesive and stitched). It's silver only as I recall, but not expensive and unlike lesser-quality tapes it's NOT a metal based tape so you can mold it around curves smoothly.

There are also some pre-cut reflective decal "kits" (Tapeworks is one of the oldest businesses I know of online), if you're into that kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 01:33 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Default there's a new product out that is reflective only at night (black during the day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The reason why I brought this topic up is I work rotating shifts at a hospital so I drive to and from work regularly at many different hours of the day/night. I'm a cautious attentive car driver (no cell phone use at all and sometimes don't bother to turn on the radio). However sometimes at night I almost don't see some motorcycles. These bikes are all black, no chrome, and riders also dressed all in black, with no reflective gear at all. I barely saw the headlights. They appeared dim and dingy like maybe the headlight was oxidized like so many car headlights. It was so dim I almost thought it was a bicycle headlight. Some tail lights aren't much better. Have seen a few bikes that do it better. One bike I saw had motion LED rear turn signal lights. That is very visible and told me exactly where they were heading. Another had really bright headlight. I don't mind sharing the road with bikers and bicycles (use to ride my bicycle on the road where I use to live), but some people just don't know how to gear up for night time riding.
I was researching options for myself (a brand new rider) and found out that there's a black material which at night reflects intensely. Search for "Motorcycle Reflective Safety Tape" - it can be sewn onto clothing and appears to be like a black silk material during the day. I may wear lots of black while riding, but I'll have this stuff sewn into my clothing for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles