Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:50 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
does anyone have a source for this? i always thought the most common accident was an opposite direction car turning left in front of MC.
That would be my guess as well - though it's purely speculative and anecdotal. Over the years, I've had a lot of cars turn in front of me, and turn out in front of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
Can't find the source I originally quoted. Left-turners are definitely a big one, but regardless, that's a LOT of accidents that could be avoided if motorcycles could filter.

One highly-publicized case happened a few years ago in Arizona, where a dump truck rear-ended a group of motorcyclists, killing several of them. Had they been allowed to filter to the front of the intersection, the accident would have been avoided. (Well, he would have probably crashed into a car, but they would have had a much greater chance of survival).

Old 09-07-2013, 11:41 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Can't find the source I originally quoted. Left-turners are definitely a big one, but regardless, that's a LOT of accidents that could be avoided if motorcycles could filter
oh, i wasn't doubting it was a big source. just was curious which was #1

i do wish proper lane splitting was legal in more states, i would probably do it more. but i do also see tons of guys making a mockery of the potential safety gain, there's nothing safe about lane splitting with a 20 or 30 mph speed differential like some guys do it, basically blasting through whatever opening they see. crap like that probably helps keep it illegal

Old 09-07-2013, 08:28 PM

307 posts, read 685,123 times
I was just in L.A. and saw people splitting. I'd rather use the shoulder. There were way too many close calls. Doing just a few cars is one thing, but stop and go traffic, hell no.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
oh, i wasn't doubting it was a big source. just was curious which was #1

i do wish proper lane splitting was legal in more states, i would probably do it more. but i do also see tons of guys making a mockery of the potential safety gain, there's nothing safe about lane splitting with a 20 or 30 mph speed differential like some guys do it, basically blasting through whatever opening they see. crap like that probably helps keep it illegal
I definitely agree. Lane sharing at a reasonable speed through congested traffic, or filtering at traffic lights is one thing, but splitting on open freeways with a high speed differential is dangerous.

As far as terminology goes:

I think "splitting" carries with it a negative connotation, of sport bikes flying past moving traffic at a high speed differential. Lane sharing, on the other hand, implies safely maneuvering a motorcycle between lanes of congested traffic. Filtering, meanwhile, refers to motorcyclists moving ahead of stopped traffic, to the front of a lighted intersection.

Going off those definitions, I think splitting is wreckless, and should continue to be illegal. Whereas lane sharing and filtering are both safe, and reasonable. As for distinguishing between splitting and lane sharing, speed differential should be the determining factor. High speed through slow traffic? The rider deserves a wreckless driving ticket. Advancing forward through slowed traffic at a reasonable speed? Carry on. When it comes to permissable speed differential, personally I think 10-15 mph greater than the speed of traffic is acceptable.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:30 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
CHP's guidelines for lane splitting are 10 mph speed differential, traffic moving at under 30 mph. I'll lane split over 30 mph on occassion, but the 10 mph differential is about the most I like to do anyway.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:43 PM

337 posts, read 896,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I definitely agree. Lane sharing at a reasonable speed through congested traffic, or filtering at traffic lights is one thing, but splitting on open freeways with a high speed differential is dangerous.

As far as terminology goes:

I think "splitting" carries with it a negative connotation, of sport bikes flying past moving traffic at a high speed differential. Lane sharing, on the other hand, implies safely maneuvering a motorcycle between lanes of congested traffic. Filtering, meanwhile, refers to motorcyclists moving ahead of stopped traffic, to the front of a lighted intersection.

Going off those definitions, I think splitting is wreckless, and should continue to be illegal. Whereas lane sharing and filtering are both safe, and reasonable. As for distinguishing between splitting and lane sharing, speed differential should be the determining factor. High speed through slow traffic? The rider deserves a wreckless driving ticket. Advancing forward through slowed traffic at a reasonable speed? Carry on. When it comes to permissable speed differential, personally I think 10-15 mph greater than the speed of traffic is acceptable.
The problem lies with enforcement. Remember that the CHP is stuck in traffic as well. If a rider wizzes by at 50mph differential speed (say traffic at 20mph, rider at 70mph), not much the cop is going to be able to do there. Technically it's legal up to 65mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
CHP's guidelines for lane splitting are 10 mph speed differential, traffic moving at under 30 mph. I'll lane split over 30 mph on occassion, but the 10 mph differential is about the most I like to do anyway.
Yeah, I'm there with you. 50mph generally feels pretty slow so I'll go through it up to then at about 15mph speed differential. Some people also get it mistaken that the recent guidelines they posted are the law. I had a chimp tell me it's technically legal all the way up to the speed limit. So if the speed limit is 70 and you're going 70mph splitting traffic that's going 60mph, no violation technically.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:02 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
The problem lies with enforcement. Remember that the CHP is stuck in traffic as well. If a rider wizzes by at 50mph differential speed (say traffic at 20mph, rider at 70mph), not much the cop is going to be able to do there. Technically it's legal up to 65mph.

Yeah, I'm there with you. 50mph generally feels pretty slow so I'll go through it up to then at about 15mph speed differential. Some people also get it mistaken that the recent guidelines they posted are the law. I had a chimp tell me it's technically legal all the way up to the speed limit. So if the speed limit is 70 and you're going 70mph splitting traffic that's going 60mph, no violation technically.
Up to officer's discretion if he believes it's hazardous. I've gone right passed CHP splitting at >30 a few times. The only reaction I've ever gotten is they move over to give me more room, which is always nice. Usually when it's going up around 40+ I don't bother, just weave through. If there's two cars forming a roadblock and they're both not squirming around in the lane, I'll split through. Otherwise I just wait for a gap.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:22 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
Personally, most of the time when the signal is red ,and there is plenty of room, and I feel so enclined , I will take advantage of going forward ,so be away from the bulk of traffic .
Not fond of breathing every one elses smog.
I don't have windows to roll up.
In sevire traffic I have done the shoulder reluctantly just to keep it moving being air cooled, and saving the clutch a bit as well.
I don''t split lanes while traffic is actually moving , it's not necessary.
Bad enough on hot humid days to be riding in an oven that only gets hotter the faster you go.
The worse I feel, the more I wonder how the engine is doing, not having enough wind to cool it.
There are times I want to install a computer fan just under the seat , wired into the brake lite circut, pushing the heat out from the seat while at a stop. My hand or foot are on the brake any way.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:30 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
The problem lies with enforcement. Remember that the CHP is stuck in traffic as well. If a rider wizzes by at 50mph differential speed (say traffic at 20mph, rider at 70mph), not much the cop is going to be able to do there.
radio to a trooper up ahead with the color and style of the bike. i certainly hope at least, 50mph diff is way too large
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles