Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 03:38 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times

Advertisements

I've ridden a few Sportsters through the years ... XLH and the "hotter" XLCH model. I had a housemate years ago that would "borrow" my BMW's and MotoGuzzi's for longer rides with his buddies and leave me his Sportster to get to work in town. In more recent years, he's still into the H-D image for his bar-hopping weekend nights with the boys ... and I can't say that the overall concept of the bike has changed much. My experience was based upon real world riding in traffic in town, not on the dragstrip or track where top performance numbers are the comparison. What they do deliver is that characteristic H-D V-twin exhaust note and a fair amount of torque off the line ... if that's what you seek in a bike, then they do it.

But they were clunky, awkward, heavy, without decent brakes or lighting compared to many other euro and asian urban, performance, or touring bikes. With close to a liter displacement, they're not competitive with the fuel economy or performance of bikes even around 1/2 their displacement which cost less to operate on lighter weight tires, lower insurance rates, and lower operating costs over the long haul.

Seemed to me they were all about image and style, junior chrome rigs to the full size H-D line. Suitable for short runs around town, especially the stylized models with peanut size tanks.

Not anything in that line that caught my attention, nothing I'd want to take out on a longer day's road trip on of any distance, let alone a multi-day tour.

I'll agree that they drop in market value very quickly. You see them all the time with low miles and a fraction of their showroom price, looking pretty clean and ready to roll. The H-D dealers don't seem to give much for them in trade to somebody stepping up to their upline bikes there, either. My impression is that their target marketplace is the rider who wants an H-D but can't afford to step up to the big brothers in the line.

For the price of a "good shape" used Sportster, there are a lot of better bikes in the marketplace if you can get past the fact that they aren't an H-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 04:43 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I've ridden a few Sportsters through the years ... XLH and the "hotter" XLCH model.

But they were clunky, awkward, heavy, without decent brakes or lighting compared to many other euro and asian urban, performance, or touring bikes. With close to a liter displacement, they're not competitive with the fuel economy or performance of bikes even around 1/2 their displacement which cost less to operate on lighter weight tires, lower insurance rates, and lower operating costs over the long haul.

I'll agree that they drop in market value very quickly. You see them all the time with low miles and a fraction of their showroom price, looking pretty clean and ready to roll. The H-D dealers don't seem to give much for them in trade to somebody stepping up to their upline bikes there, either. My impression is that their target marketplace is the rider who wants an H-D but can't afford to step up to the big brothers in the line.

For the price of a "good shape" used Sportster, there are a lot of better bikes in the marketplace if you can get past the fact that they aren't an H-D.

Good post.

The ones made 2004 and later have the rubber-mounted engines which squelch down vibration. Supposedly, this makes them much better. This does at 40-50 pounds of weight, though.

On a humorous note, H-D said before 2004 they didn't rubber-mount their Sportsters because the customers didn't ask for it. Well...if you already had a <2004 model, what good is it if they make that particular upgrade? How many people will sell/trade-in a Sportster for another Sportster?

The ones made through the mid-80s were crude based on what I read.

They have the 883 cc and the 1200 cc. I never rode it but I have the impression the 1200 has good power, and you don't have to get too involved in order to get 15 more h.p. out of it.

I think the ones made in the past 10 years have better brakes and lighting. I thought they were nimble rather than awkward.

The stealerships (at least near me), used to promise the customer what they paid for a Sportster if they traded-in/upgraded. Maybe the "devil was in the details".

I'm not nearly as much a fan of H-D as I sound. In fact, I dislike H-D Corporate.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post

They have the 883 cc and the 1200 cc. I never rode it but I have the impression the 1200 has good power, and you don't have to get too involved in order to get 15 more h.p. out of it.

The box stock 1200 cc is around 60 HP, and H-D makes a big deal out of the fact that you can gain 7 HP just by re-jetting the carb and adding their slightly more efficient air intake and mufflers. All for around $900 + install.

It's all part of the "more bucks" from the customer H-D marketing philosophy. 60 HP in that weight bike is pretty marginal and most folk want the higher output. So, sure, make a $900 kit as a factory approved add-on where it would be just as easy to incorporate those features on the showroom stock model at a very minimal change in the OE cost of the bike and deliver what most customers pay to add on now.

IMO, it's similar to the marketing/pricing that has driven many other vehicle options becoming standard features. For examples: fancier mag wheels and bigger tires, or upgraded audio systems, or special paint jobs becoming part of the standard offering instead of being a special option upgrade ... all in response to seeing the aftermarket bring these items to the customers. Car manufacturers see their fleets get altered from stock this way and recognize that they could attract and retain customers by offering as stock what the customers are showing by their preferences in the aftermarket. Only H-D makes the "aftermarket" an in-house upgrade at significant additional cost.

I think the ones made in the past 10 years have better brakes and lighting.

Yes, much improved over years past. But still not up to the standards of the industry for bikes with the performance capability of these machines. I've ridden 250cc bikes that had comparable lighting and many middleweight bikes with equal or superior braking.

I thought they were nimble rather than awkward.

Compared to What? There's a host of middleweight bikes that aren't crotch rockets that put the Sportster to shame in the handling department.

The stealerships (at least near me), used to promise the customer what they paid for a Sportster if they traded-in/upgraded. Maybe the "devil was in the details".
Yes, the details ... the bike will get the full credit against an MSRP full price for the new bike, less any deductions for reconditioning, excess mileage, tires at a certain % life tread remaining, and so forth. Essentially, if your bike being traded in isn't in virtually showroom ready condition, you'll get dinged for the costs to make it showroom ready ... and that's if the miles aren't over a certain number. In any event, you're trading at the full MSRP for the new bike which has a sizable profit margin in it for the dealer so he can absorb the trade-in costs and still sell the trade-in bike for FMW which is less than his "paper" trade-in value. The key here is that they made a good profit on the initial sale of the Sportster, too. I saw a similar promotion in our area, but IIRC, there was a time limit on the trade of effectively one season worth of riding.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Yes, the details ...

"The box stock 1200 cc is around 60 HP, and H-D makes a big deal out of the fact that you can gain 7 HP just by re-jetting the carb and adding their slightly more efficient air intake and mufflers. All for around $900 + install."

I thought that gets it 15 more rear-wheel h.p. Maybe I was thinking of something that is only for "off highway use". You're stuck with the stealership while it's under warranty. After that period, 15 h.p. shouldn't be hard to get without getting too involved. Much more is available if you want to get involved with the engine. I don't know how much of a risk it is with the mechanic possibly butchering the engine. Research into shops would be imperative.

"Only H-D makes the "aftermarket" an in-house upgrade at significant additional cost."

They charge way too much for colors other than black.

"Compared to What? There's a host of middleweight bikes that aren't crotch rockets that put the Sportster to shame in the handling department."

Compared to other Harley's and cruisers in general. LOL. But...the Sportster is a standard (Harley version of the UJM), now that I think of it.

The available lean angle/cornering clearance on some of their models is appalling.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:14 PM

Default More rants...

The new Yamaha FZ9 looks sweet for only 8K. There are some drive-ability (fuel-injection) and suspension issues they need to work out. I personally would wait for the 2nd year model.

There's some good deals on the FZ8 predecessor.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:20 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
The box stock 1200 cc is around 60 HP, and H-D makes a big deal out of the fact that you can gain 7 HP just by re-jetting the carb and adding their slightly more efficient air intake and mufflers. All for around $900 + install.
Is this because the muffler isn't 50 state street legal, as opposed to the stock?

Old 05-15-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Is this because the muffler isn't 50 state street legal, as opposed to the stock?
No, it's simply a H-D dealer supplied upgrade package to deliver more HP and a different than stock appearance for more profit on the sale.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:42 PM

Suzuki Hayabusa and Kawasaki Z14 are both so powerful they had to electronically limit their top speeds to 186 mph.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:38 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
Sunsprit, that store would hate me.

Not saying I like HD, but I'd walk in, shoot the tihs, alright, I want this bike, we go through the making it mine. As we take the "tour", it would go as;

Nope, no more chrome on the bike...I can see the sex appeal of a chrome seat, but black is okay. It already has chrome taillpipes, I don't need to make the actual exhaust chrome, it matches the black on the bike. -then I would walk off.

No sir, I don't need assless chaps, I already have some, I do need a new helmet, though...not the chrome one. No jacket, I know it's custom ripped and faded. Boots, size 15... yeah I know, I was going to Payless anyway.- Then I'dwalk off.

No maam, I only wear stainless steel rings... those ear rings do look pretty good, too bad my ears are 1guaged. Okay sir, paint is last of the tour, right?

You guys do great work, my bike, naw, it's black and red already, saved you guys some work. Yeah, I smoke.

outside smoking; I told you no on the jewlrey, while you're rubbing all on me, Igot something that has a ride to it, that makes that roadking of yours, feel like askate board. You can test ride it right now. I see, well, lets get that bike paper crackin, dawg.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Sunsprit, that store would hate me.

Not saying I like HD, but I'd walk in, shoot the tihs, alright, I want this bike, we go through the making it mine. As we take the "tour", it would go as;

(snip)

... while you're rubbing all on me, Igot something that has a ride to it, that makes that roadking of yours, feel like askate board. You can test ride it right now. I see, well, lets get that bike paper crackin, dawg.
I'm not so sure.

That sales clerk in the jewelry department just might take you up on your test ride offer in one of the clothes changing rooms. She really had the "come hither" look down pat .... who knows what her sense of humor might lead to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles