Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:47 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
they start lane splitting in my area, Im going start kicking my door open at lights. you can wait just like everybody else, youre not special
Or you could be an adult and get your own bike instead of being a whiny petulant child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 02:27 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Wait in line like the rest of us. Who in the right mind thinks lane splitting is even safe. I want to be able to utilize the whole lane I'm in just incase there is some kind of debri in front of me on the road. i can safelely move over a tad to avoid it and not worrie about some impatient biker using part of my lane.

As far as the worry about being crushed at a stop, why not just leave a bit of space between the car your following like the rest of us. With that way of thinking I should be able to lane split when driving my subcompact because I may get crushed if an 18 wheeler can't stop in time. Guess what, I'm not worried about it.

Just drive like the rest of us. Just because you bought a motorcycle gives you no special privileges. You all are the ones complaining about us in cars not seeing you but you all want to go ahead and lane sp,lit and make it even harder.

I may have never been to CA and really have no intention or desire to anyway so probably never will but I have spent plenty of time driving in assorted Latin American country's and have seen my share of lane splitters get splattered over the years. And guess what? Every time it was the idiot on the bikes fault as the car was just driving along.

While I'm on this rant and stating your not special because you have a bike I'll also say that you can wait your turn at stop signs as well. I really don't care if a group of you are riding together. One stops, one goes and then it goes to the next car. Your not entitled to have your whole convoy of 20 or so bikes go rolling through the stop sign. You are individual vehicles so wait your turn.

On another note, it sure would be good if I could get a kidney sooner rather then later so all you lane splitters out there, be sure to check yes for being an organ donor!

Old 08-11-2015, 03:13 PM

281 posts, read 368,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
While I'm on this rant and stating your not special because you have a bike I'll also say that you can wait your turn at stop signs as well. I really don't care if a group of you are riding together. One stops, one goes and then it goes to the next car. Your not entitled to have your whole convoy of 20 or so bikes go rolling through the stop sign. You are individual vehicles so wait your turn.
I think it's silly to argue the rest of your post, because neither of us will ever reach an agreement; it's like arguing abortion, or gun control. It'll just be beating a dead horse.

But regarding the convoy of 20 or so bikes, are you exaggerating for effect or are you serious? No officer I know would ever allow this. Two, yes, three, maybe. Four is really pushing it. Really I can't imagine why anyone would be opposed to at LEAST two going through a stop sign at once, unless you like traffic jams and longer backups...

Maybe someone can chime in on the details of any laws regarding this in a given state.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:15 PM

281 posts, read 368,454 times
And my license does indeed indicate that my organs are to be donated in the event of a fatal accident, so you're welcome. Motorcycling is a calculated risk. So is walking down the sidewalk. Some of us value it more than others.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
And my license does indeed indicate that my organs are to be donated in the event of a fatal accident, so you're welcome. Motorcycling is a calculated risk. So is walking down the sidewalk. Some of us value it more than others.
Just to stir the pot.......that calculated risk includes wearing a helmet or not. (I wear a helmet) but I agree with this idea in principle. A persons willingness to take a risk should be theirs.

I think there is something wrong with someone that hangs thousands of feet on a cliff face by their finger tips alone, but that is their thing.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:51 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
A lot more people die in cars a year than on bikes, so maybe car drivers should be required to wear a helmet while they commit jihad on everybody?

Old 08-11-2015, 04:28 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Ah, life in the stupid lane.....

Old 08-11-2015, 05:03 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just to stir the pot.......that calculated risk includes wearing a helmet or not. (I wear a helmet) but I agree with this idea in principle. A persons willingness to take a risk should be theirs.

I think there is something wrong with someone that hangs thousands of feet on a cliff face by their finger tips alone, but that is their thing.
I agree with that. Do what you want as long as it doesn't endanger me, or anybody else not involved. Lane splitting can endanger me in my car or truck though. An example would be what if I am following a van or other larger vehicle a safe distance away but upon approaching a signal he suddenly stops so I am now in danger and do the same. Perhaps he stopped harder then I thought and the short moment it takes to realize it I might not stop in time but since he is on the right side of the lane I quickly angle towards the left to avoid rear ending him which would be my fought. But now that bike that I saw a moment ago in my rear view is deciding to get ahead of every one by lane splitting and BAM! I turn right into him. Hell, my lane was clear a moment ago, why the heck is there someone coming up beside me in my lane? See, now his stupidity has affected me and I'm in an accident because of it. That is a very real scenario!

About the 20 or so, that is not an exaggeration. It happened last year during our "bike week" here in town. It could have been 15 or it could have been 25. Either way it was ridicules. But I have seen many times 4 or 5 do it. It just seems whenever a group is out riding together they feel they are one vehicle. They come here and think they own the place and think laws will be changed just for them. They need to follow the same laws I need to follow in my car or truck. Absolutely no exceptions. That is why a lot here hate that week and hide inside. It really is annoying. And no, I am not against it and have no problem with them coming here for a few days every September. Other groups have their events as well so let them have theirs. Just follow the laws and respect our homes, communities, towns and laws. I just edited to add that the vast majority do.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:18 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
Every bike that splits a lane leaves a space for a car to make it through that much sooner. And yeah we had to pass a special test, we had to get special training, we already get special privileges (riding legally) so why not let us help you out? You want to feel special, go get your license, grab a bike and join us. It's legal in Kali, it doesn't cause problems, and those who object will be able too find something else to complain about.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:58 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
A very enlightening report on the ACTUAL numbers of accidents/deaths/etc when lane splitting:
http://www.ots.ca.gov/pdf/publicatio...tingsurvey.pdf

The nutshell:
- Lane splitting is dramatically safer for bikers
- Average speed differential is only 5-10mph
- Average vehicle (car) speeds are under 10mph when bikes lane split
- Lane splitters have 50% fewer fatalities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles