Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 12:40 PM

358 posts, read 349,419 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any suggestions? A bike that can hit the corners, has enough power to give you some excitement and something that is reliable. Since I would be commuting on occasion, having abs would be mandatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 01:13 PM

281 posts, read 368,638 times
Does it have to be new? Do you mind shiftless, like Honda's DCT's or whatever they call those transmissions?

I'm thinking like a CB500 of some sort.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:40 PM

It can be used or new

Old 09-27-2015, 01:48 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn63 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions? A bike that can hit the corners, has enough power to give you some excitement and something that is reliable. Since I would be commuting on occasion, having abs would be mandatory.
There is an infinite amount of possibilities. You need to be more specific. In my opinion, ABS is highly overrated, but others swear by it. The internet is only of minimal use. For every bike someone says "sucks", there is a world of people who would disagree. If you are really serious, go to a cycle trading website and research bikes in your area and go look at them. Comfort should be your firs priority, in my opinion. If you are a 'real' motorcyclist, no matter what you get now, you will want to get something else two years later, anyway lol Good luck, and put up some pictures of what you are looking at, OK? The entertainment value of those opinions alone would make it worth your time!
Really though, so much stuff out there within that price range, you have quite a job ahead of you.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:08 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
V-Strom 650. Great all-around bike, very decent performance for a 650, ABS and comfortable.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:21 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,026,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
V-Strom 650. Great all-around bike, very decent performance for a 650, ABS and comfortable.
I agree. V-strom is a pretty good "does it all" bike.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:14 PM

I really think the v-strom maybe the ticket. I have not rode one yet, can you guys comment on the power and weight? If you drop a gear or two will it take off and move? Also, when you are riding the canyons is it feel flickable for a big bike? I would love to be able to do all day rides , even cross state lines and still be able to handle traffic(like 101). I also looked at the Ktm rc390 but I think it would get boring after a month and id hate being stuck with that riding position.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I really think the v-strom maybe the ticket. I have not rode one yet, can you guys comment on the power and weight? If you drop a gear or two will it take off and move? Also, when you are riding the canyons is it feel flickable for a big bike? I would love to be able to do all day rides , even cross state lines and still be able to handle traffic(like 101). I also looked at the Ktm rc390 but I think it would get boring after a month and id hate being stuck with that riding position.
I had a '13 650 V-Strom. Plenty powerful for my wants on the road (65-67hp IIRC, about the same hp as some 1500cc+ cruisers), comfortable seating position, decent wind protection (though a windshield upgrade wouldn't hurt) light enough to toss around but heavy enough to not be overly bothered by wind. Oh, and outstanding fuel economy, often 55-60, but occasionally when riding with my wife (read slowly) it would return 65. I bought it as an ADV bike, off pavement on reasonably smooth dirt/gravel roads it was quite good. When things got rough offroad the suspension and ground clearance was a bit lacking. I had it for about 5 months and put about 9000 miles on it, never had a single failure or breakdown. 500 mile days (including some portion dirt) were very do-able. Another nice feature is excellent range. 5.0 gallons and 55mpg makes for some long rides before stops, assuming your butt is up to the task... Also nice when commuting not to have to fuel up every day.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 09-28-2015 at 08:56 AM..

Old 09-28-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I had a '13 650 V-Strom. Plenty powerful for my wants on the road (65-67hp IIRC, about the same hp as some 1500cc+ cruisers), comfortable seating position, decent wind protection (though a windshield upgrade wouldn't hurt) light enough to toss around but heavy enough to not be overly bothered by wind. Oh, and outstanding fuel economy, often 55-60, but occasionally when riding with my wife (read slowly) it would return 65. I bought it as an ADV bike, off pavement on reasonably smooth dirt/gravel roads it was quite good. When things got rough offroad the suspension and ground clearance was a bit lacking. I had it for about 5 months and put about 9000 miles on it, never had a single failure or breakdown. 500 mile days (including some portion dirt) were very do-able. Another nice feature is excellent range. 5.0 gallons and 55mpg makes for some long rides before stops, assuming your butt is up to the task... Also nice when commuting not to have to fuel up every day.
Wow thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for

Old 09-28-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Wow thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for
Glad to do what I can. You might also look for an SV650. They were somewhat similar to the Strom, but more "sport" oriented. I've never ridden one, but I understand that they are more fun on twisty roads, at the expense of comfort over long distances. Maybe someone else will chip on on this.

Another possibility you might come across is a Triumph Tiger 800 (the "road" version). It should be possible to find a used one in your price range. I got the 800XC (more "Adventure" oriented version) after the Strom. Mileage won't be as good and it will probably be more expensive to maintain, but the 800 triple is a sweet motor...and Euro bikes are kind of cool. Stand out a bit from the Japanese products. Not better or worse, just different.

There are lots of good choices out there though. Sticking with the Japanese "big 4" probably makes sense from a reliability and dealer availability standpoint.

The question I should have started with is-how will YOU be using the bike? Short/moderate range commuting? Tearing up twisty canyon roads? Bike night and group rides (cruisers)? Some long distance road trips? Any 2-up? Any interest in ADV/off pavement riding? Have you owned a bike before? How much experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles