Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 02:37 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times

Advertisements

I rode for 15 years, during that time I rode with several other bikers. I witnessed at least 8 accidents and two riders died, the rest were seriously injured and some required years to fully recover and some, like myself are still suffering with slight limps and occasional aches and pains even 40 years later.

No mater how good you are and how careful you are there are a thousand more 4 wheelers that can't see you and don't really care about you. Defensive driving to a rider means something totally different then for a car driver. Expect every driver to turn in front of you and every driver at a stop sign to pull out in front of you. And then there are the drivers that like to play with you.

On the good news side, I had a lot of fun memories from riding and would do it over again, given a chance and 40 years taken off my age.

As far as buying a bike, if you need your mothers permission to buy a bike at age 22 then you should not buy. I was 16 when I bought my first bike and never told my mother, I just showed up at home with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 08:37 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Everyone I know who rides a motorcycle has been in at least one wreck. There is no exception.

Most of them then got rid of the motorcycle.
Yes, most have been in an accident- see this thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles...u_have_had_an/

Notice how none of the injuries I saw were serious. I know there are a lot of accidents that occur for people on motorcycles, but I greatly believe the statistics are skewed because of the number of young riders, those who ride drunk, and those who ride without the proper gear.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
The only thing that keeps any rider from being hit by a car/truck driver who is not paying attention is just dumb luck.

When a car is coming at you from the opposite direction and turns into your path with no warning there is absolutely nothing that will save you from a collision.

The only way you find this out is when it happens to you. If it never happens to you it isn't because of your skill it's because of dumb luck.

BTW thousands of expert riders get killed every year because they run out of luck.
Same problem with cars. Yes, I know you don't have a crumple barrier, but you can also argue, a bike can more easily maneuver away from a potential accident versus a car.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:27 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,139 times
Quote:
The only thing that keeps any rider from being hit by a car/truck driver who is not paying attention is just dumb luck.

When a car is coming at you from the opposite direction and turns into your path with no warning there is absolutely nothing that will save you from a collision.
Absolutely not true. What keeps a rider from becoming a statistic is called Situational Awareness. The first rule of riding is Never let your mind wander. Ever! A rider must be paranoid to the extent that everybody and everything in his surroundings is out to kill him. That is the mindset that will make you aware of everything around you and what might happen if you don't pay attention. For instance, riding courses will teach you the danger of street intersections, but you need to be aware that every driveway is an intersection and that things beyond the street can reach out and bite you. This is also the same mindset that when a car is coming in the opposite direction you EXPECT him to be drunk and to turn in front of you and you prepare yourself accordingly by plotting out your escape routes before you reach that point. This might sound like a tedious impossibility but with experience it actually happens in your brain in microseconds and after a time becomes almost instinctive. It's kind of like a chess game where you're observing and planning four, five, six or more moves ahead of where you are at the moment.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:59 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:

The only way you find this out is when it happens to you. If it never happens to you it isn't because of your skill it's because of dumb luck.

BTW thousands of expert riders get killed every year because they run out of luck.

I couldn't disagree more, plan for the car coming towards you to turn into your path with no warning and know what you'll do when it (and it will) happens.

Dumb luck doesn't save your ass, good skills/planning do.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:28 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I couldn't disagree more, plan for the car coming towards you to turn into your path with no warning and know what you'll do when it (and it will) happens.

Always assume no one sees you, because lots of times, they dont. I started 40+ years ago. Just not the same on the streets as it use to be. Add the teens and folks texting not even looking where they are going, let alone see you on a bike. Now read my first sentence again.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:21 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
you are 22. that makes you an adult capable of making your own legally binding decisions. You can vote. You can drink. There's not much your mother can do at this point except maybe kick you out of the house.

As long as you understand the risks and ride with proper protection you are starting off on the right foot with the proper mindset to be a safer rider even in the current driving environment of distracted drivers.

That MSF (or equivalent) course will go a long way in helping you to understand the dangers you'll face.

The smaller lighter bikes will allow you to learn handling dynamics and ultimately make you a better rider. Something which I *should* have tried. The smaller bikes tend to be easier to sell because there's always someone looking for one.

My first bike was a 600cc cruiser which would scrape on most turns and slower than many cars. My second bike was a 30 year old honda cb750 which was slightly faster but heavy. I currently have much faster bike, but no longer have a desire to ride for whatever reason. I guess my age finally caught up with me.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:59 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Hey guys,

my mom is reluctant and constantly tells me how unsafe it is to ride. I have told her I plan to take the MSF course and will ride responsibly, but she doesn't seem to listen. What are your thoughts on this? It hurts me that she is going to worry, but I'm an adult and should be able to make these decisions. I live in New Jersey by the way.
You are old enough to make your own decisions but at the same time try to ease your Mothers worries, buy the bike buy good safety gear and take the class, keep it all low key around your Mom, don't get upset with her for caring about you.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:19 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

I've heard that before by riders who have never been hit head on. If your plan is to pray that's about all you have left. Your plan is wishful thinking.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:33 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I just purchased myself a used 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 with ABS today. I'll heed everyone's suggestions moving forward
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles