Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:37 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,097 times

Advertisements

I've had a KLR650 for five years now as my only bike. I am somewhat of a Kawasaki homer, because of their cheap entry point, durability, and ease of maintenance. But over the years of riding the KLR I find my self more on the street and less in the dirt. I'm thinking of converting to a sport-touring bike, and obviously the old-model Concours has caught my eye. They can be had from $1000 to $4000, which is not much more than a KLR.

A couple of questions:
1.) How is the handling in urban environments? I hear it is very topheavy, but I've heard the same thing about the KLR but I stick and move that thing all around cars from stoplight to stoplight in the city. My commute is five miles of city streets. Sure, I would probably keep the KLR for this purpose, but I'm wondering if a Concours can handle it.

2.) How is the seating position? I'm 6' 0" and like the KLR upright position. I know Ninjas are generally more of a standard than a sportbike, so does the Concours sit a little more upright, or is it a lot more compact like a sportbike? Do bar risers help? (I have sat on one, and definitely noticed a more forward position than the KLR, but not as bad as a true sportbike.)

3.) How is 2-up riding? I'd love to take my wife for a mountain cruise but the KLR is way too uncomfortable. Would she be comfortable for an hour or two on the back of the Concours? Again, at low speeds does a passenger make the bike even more topheavy?

4.) Anything special to know about maintaining a shaft-drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 12:38 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
I'm another Kawi enthusiast (started with the Ninja 250 for my wife.... but I stole it from her, then a '99 KLR650 and currently a '99 Connie), and the C10 is perfectly in line with what you'll know and like about the KLR mechanics. It's typical Kawi, so if you're happy with the KLR you ought to be happy (mechanically) with the Concours.

1: It's a heavy bike, and you don't have the benefit of a nice, wide bar for added leverage like you do on the KLR. But it's More than capable of doing your commute run. I think you'll mostly just find it boring to use in that capacity. Back when I lived in Denver, I vastly preferred the KLR to any other bike for getting around in town so long as I stayed off the interstates. Just a better tool for the job IMHO. But yes, you shouldn't have any issues other than the nor issues you'd have in switching to Any bike.

2: I'm 6'4", loved the leg room of the KLR (and had 2" ROX risers on as well). The KLR absolutely has it over the Connie for comfort in that way, but it's not like the Connie is uncomfortable. You just have more bend to the knee and my knees get sore sooner (but my butt was sore sooner on the KLR) ~ all in all, I can ride more miles on the Concours than I could on the KLR or the N-250 before I need a break.

3: 2-up you won't even know they're back there power-wise, and only Just know they're back there under braking. If she's a good pillion (sits like a sack of potatoes) then you'll not really notice any handling difference above parking lot speeds. 2-up was the reason I bought mine and we've done a few trips that were 2~3 hours total, and 2 that were 2 day (so 6~8 hours a day on the bike) and no real complaints. But my wife is short at 5'4", and slight at 130-ish ~ that'll be a trial and error thing for you and your SO.

4: Nope, just service the final drive oil per the owners manual and that's it. Stupid simple.

There are billions of these things out there, but I have one for sale here in Georgia. We just don't ride 2-up enough to justify the bike, I prefer something Much smaller for bombing around on my own. It'd be a fly-n-ride, but that's a ton of fun if you've never done it before. I'll give you more info if you want, but I'll bet there's plenty to choose from in CO.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:25 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I'm another Kawi enthusiast (started with the Ninja 250 for my wife.... but I stole it from her, then a '99 KLR650 and currently a '99 Connie), and the C10 is perfectly in line with what you'll know and like about the KLR mechanics. It's typical Kawi, so if you're happy with the KLR you ought to be happy (mechanically) with the Concours.

1: It's a heavy bike, and you don't have the benefit of a nice, wide bar for added leverage like you do on the KLR. But it's More than capable of doing your commute run. I think you'll mostly just find it boring to use in that capacity. Back when I lived in Denver, I vastly preferred the KLR to any other bike for getting around in town so long as I stayed off the interstates. Just a better tool for the job IMHO. But yes, you shouldn't have any issues other than the nor issues you'd have in switching to Any bike.

2: I'm 6'4", loved the leg room of the KLR (and had 2" ROX risers on as well). The KLR absolutely has it over the Connie for comfort in that way, but it's not like the Connie is uncomfortable. You just have more bend to the knee and my knees get sore sooner (but my butt was sore sooner on the KLR) ~ all in all, I can ride more miles on the Concours than I could on the KLR or the N-250 before I need a break.

3: 2-up you won't even know they're back there power-wise, and only Just know they're back there under braking. If she's a good pillion (sits like a sack of potatoes) then you'll not really notice any handling difference above parking lot speeds. 2-up was the reason I bought mine and we've done a few trips that were 2~3 hours total, and 2 that were 2 day (so 6~8 hours a day on the bike) and no real complaints. But my wife is short at 5'4", and slight at 130-ish ~ that'll be a trial and error thing for you and your SO.

4: Nope, just service the final drive oil per the owners manual and that's it. Stupid simple.

There are billions of these things out there, but I have one for sale here in Georgia. We just don't ride 2-up enough to justify the bike, I prefer something Much smaller for bombing around on my own. It'd be a fly-n-ride, but that's a ton of fun if you've never done it before. I'll give you more info if you want, but I'll bet there's plenty to choose from in CO.
Thanks! Yes there are plenty to choose from out here. I will keep the KLR for the commute. Nothing beats its agility in the city. I'm glad to hear someone who agrees. I know I can WOT anytime (which I do all the time) and not scare myself. It will take a bit to learn some self control on such a more powerful bike.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
I can't offer anything of value to what Brian_m said. I had an '07 Connie for quite a few years, it was fine on the street/highway/twisty back road. Top heavy, yes, at low speed, but not unmanagable. It really came into it's own as the speed went up a bit...great supercruiser above 85. I sold it a few years back and got into dual sports. I just wasn't riding enough pavement to make it worthwhile. I also live about 3 miles up a gravel road, the Connie was more of a handful on gravel than the dual sport is on slab. Love the dual sport riding in my area...the fun begins where the pavement ends. My little WR250R is lacking on the highway though.

The seating position of a Connie is a bit more "sportbike" than a KLRs, but not terrible. My knees and thighs would get sore after a couple hours in the saddle, but part of that is age talking. Reliability is great, I replaced a speedo cable and fan switch...2 times each. And NOTHING else. Rock solid.

Given the availabilty and low price of used Connies, I'm torn between picking up another, or a WeeStrom for commuting.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:13 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I know I can WOT anytime (which I do all the time) and not scare myself. It will take a bit to learn some self control on such a more powerful bike.
Lol, yes... my everyday ride is a Ninja 250 (going on 8 years now with one or another), and had the KLR in there for the few years I lived in Denver but it was worthless here in GA. I'm very used to treating the throttle like an on/off switch... you can't do that with the Concours. To put this into a little more detail, all the roads around me are 55mph max (I avoid the interstate, what fun is that?) and it's a rare time that I shift from 3rd to 4th and even the couple of times I've been on the interstate, I've never shifted out of 4th. Just no need since the lower RPMs actually hurt fuel economy (starts to lug).

3rd gear takes the bike into "Go directly to jail, do not pass Go!" speeds (90mph+), FWIW.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
You would never treat the throttle on my KZ1300 as an "on/off switch". At low speed you would either spin the tire or wheelstand. At high speeds you would just spin the tire or maybe wheelie but I never tried either.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,145 times
How it's ended finally Toyman bought a Connie or Weestrom ?

Old 05-16-2019, 08:44 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,048 times
5 miles is a commute? get an electric bike......

Old 05-17-2019, 04:00 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,048 times
Well if you don't want the electric bike I can give some insight on the old C10.......they are a farm tractor.....low tech and top heavy.....used to commute 100 miles RT in SoCal.......so I did like the 7 gallon tank.....managed to keep it going with a lot of maint........but it was a pig.

If you look around there are far better bikes for cheap today.......the best one that is super cheap (and I have one) is the Yam FJR......probably the most bang for the buck around.....160mph top end........elec windshield.....bags on it (and not the cheap garbage on the C10) things will run for 250K no problem.......and you can pick up the Gen 1 for under 4K or less.......and you could cover your commute in about 2 mins.........lol

Old 06-04-2019, 11:33 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_10r2004 View Post
How it's ended finally Toyman bought a Connie or Weestrom ?
Wow, this was a few years (and bikes) ago. Since '13 I've had a DR650, WR250R, Weestrom, Tiger 800XC, Rocket III, Ural Gear Up, an Indian Roadmaster, KTM 1290 SAR and as of a week ago a M109R. Man that looks bad written down-need a 12-step program I think.

Funny thing is I traded bikes for a ride with someone with a ZG1000 after the original post. I had forgotten just how cramped and uncomfortable the riding position was. Seems to have gotten worse...as I got older. And my Connie was an '87-not an '07 as I stated above. Kawi kept that in production for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles