Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 07:52 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You may be able to buy a quality bicycle with that.
We paid a lot less than that for our Treks.
Good bikes start around 400. Mine was the top level of that particular model for under 700. This was slightly before the pandemic started.

Even Walmart BSO's will get the basic job done for a lot less than that. I bought one for $50 on clearance about 6-7 years ago that ended up being not terrible.

For the OP, buying used would be key. Might be able to find a good used Honda or similar for around 1k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 08:41 AM

1,212 posts, read 732,197 times
Consider the Honda Super Cub which has larger diameter wheels for good stability. It's also has a 125cc engine, an automatic clutch, and a four-speed transmission

Old 07-23-2022, 08:22 PM

345 posts, read 445,002 times
Get a Yamaha zuma 50. I would not pay more than 1500 max. Very cheap to maintain and they are very reliable. I have a 2004 only repair was a flat tire in 3 yrs of ownership.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:36 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,414,349 times
I had a Sym HD 200 when i lived in Florida, it was made in Twain it had 16 in tires a radiator for cooling, and a top speed of 72 mph had to use premium gas.I loved it could park it in places a car couldn’t. Best of all no helmet law in Florida. But now that i moved back to Michigan and the cold and snow i sold it before i moved.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:47 AM

778 posts, read 504,462 times
A riding buddy of mine got himself a Vespa 250 and loves it. It's small enough he can put it on a rack on the rear of his motorhome and take it everywhere they go. Me, I don't like it. I rode it a couple of times when he first got it, but I like my motorcycle, a Honda CB1100. A scooter has those tiny wheels and they're close together, the handling is different. I suppose you could get used to it.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:11 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
Here in eastern Germany, mopeds and small motorcycles are very common, more common than scooters. It is amazing to see so many 30 to 40 year old 2 stroke mopeds from the communist era still chugging down the road. They have a cult following, and nobody scraps them, they keep rebuilding and refurbishing them. They are as common in cities as in rural areas. The larger wheels of mopeds and small motorcycles are an advantage over scooters for rougher roads in rural areas. Some of the mopeds such as the Simpson Schwalbe were hybrid scooters with low step through design and the engine towards the rear, but the wheels were larger than the typical scooter from Italy or France.

There was a large factory in the nearby town of Zschopau that made the MZ brand for many decades. The other big brand was Simpson, made in the town of Suhl. Both brands had good engineers and builders, and the two stroke engines were relatively easy to service. Most of the motors were in the 50 to 100 cc range, and many of the mopeds were closer to small motorcycles. My neighbor rides a 35 year old Simpson everyday as a commute vehicle about 3 miles each way.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:16 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,940,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I had a Sym HD 200 when i lived in Florida, it was made in Twain it had 16 in tires a radiator for cooling, and a top speed of 72 mph had to use premium gas.I loved it could park it in places a car couldn’t. Best of all no helmet law in Florida. But now that i moved back to Michigan and the cold and snow i sold it before i moved.
The SYM HD200 has a hotrod of a motor. I use to own one and it can blast cars up to 50 mph.

Old 01-16-2023, 02:57 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times
Now that I’m experiencing a Northeastern winter…a scooter seems plenty foolish. Too bad, it would have been fun.

Old 01-16-2023, 03:44 PM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Now that I’m experiencing a Northeastern winter…a scooter seems plenty foolish. Too bad, it would have been fun.
For what it's worth, whether it's by desire or necessity, hardcore bicyclists ride year round, and you can buy winter tires, with studs, to get traction and avoid falls... and the same thing is probably true for scooters. Unless you have specialized clothes, you're going to be freezing your a-- off though!

Old 01-19-2023, 03:16 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
For what it's worth, whether it's by desire or necessity, hardcore bicyclists ride year round, and you can buy winter tires, with studs, to get traction and avoid falls... and the same thing is probably true for scooters. Unless you have specialized clothes, you're going to be freezing your a-- off though!
Well, it’s my first “real” winter. It’s worse than I thought…I don’t do well with cold (especially with Raynaud’s disease), and I freak out badly driving a four wheeler in the snow, let alone anything on two wheels. So yeah…it makes me sad, but it doesn’t make sense to have one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles