Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 06:32 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,143,367 times

Advertisements

Most accidents occur because people are distracted. They think they can give minimal attention to driving while doing other things, like putting on makeup, shaving, talking on cells, or just thinking about other stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 06:48 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,656,008 times
I ride my Honda Helix all over and people pull out all the time in front of me. I just assume they don't see me. I took an advanced safely class in Cincinnati last year which I felt really helped me to drive more defensively. I'm not so sure it is that the drivers are clueless they just glance and are looking for cars not bikes and motorcycles.
Last year after a farm truck didn't see me and pulled in front of me...I had a LED 15 inch light put on the back and it lights with the brake. Plus my brake light changed so it flashes five times when I hit it. Then I had a strobe put on the front light. My bike is bright yellow which I think helps also. I figure I will do anything just to be seen. Then of course I still assume they don't see me.
In the country I have had times on my bike that I dont see a bike rider until I get close. So many of them in my area ride with dark clothes and you just can't see them. Plus, unlike the motorcycles, they tend to hug the curb.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:34 PM

625 posts, read 4,575,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Most accidents occur because people are distracted. They think they can give minimal attention to driving while doing other things, like putting on makeup, shaving, talking on cells, or just thinking about other stuff.

On the way to work a few months ago, I saw a guy in a truck crossing the intersection while I was sitting at the red light...he was "driving" WITH A GUITAR HERO GUITAR IN HIS HAND PLAYING IT, NO HANDS ON STEERING WHEEL, GOING 50MPH!!! I've seen it all now!

Old 06-16-2008, 05:51 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,313,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
On the way to work a few months ago, I saw a guy in a truck crossing the intersection while I was sitting at the red light...he was "driving" WITH A GUITAR HERO GUITAR IN HIS HAND PLAYING IT, NO HANDS ON STEERING WHEEL, GOING 50MPH!!! I've seen it all now!

WOW, i have never seen that before. that's a new for me.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:25 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,370,247 times
I once saw an idiotgirl, tweezing her eyebrows!! yeah, if you hit a pothole, you've lost an eye.. unbelievable.

Agree with the distracted thing 100% - husband was hit a few years ago while on his goldwing. I seriously believe though, he would not have been hit if he had been on his loud harley... loud pipes save lives (sometimes).

He will not commute to work on a bike anymore, even though gas prices are so high, it would be great...

cellphones have definitely made it worse.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:12 PM

61 posts, read 268,555 times
People not looking over their shoulder when they change lanes is another one. I lost track how many times I've been on my motorcycle along side a driver who takes a quick glance in the rear view mirror then starts into my lane. I commute on a multi-lane freeway, so I try to not be in a car or truck's blind spot, but it's not always possible.

One of my favorite car encounters was on a mountain road. I was on my motorcycle behind a large Blazer on a winding mountain road, coming up on a T intersection (my road continued on through a slight left-hand bend with a road off to my right). A woman was sitting on that side road, waiting to turn left (across my path). The Blazer was turning right, so I anticipated that the woman might not see me behind the truck and would pull out in my path. Sure enough, as soon as the Blazer started turning, she went. I just slowed and came to a stop in my lane. The woman was pulling out, right in front of me at this point, looking to her right. As she looked back to the left, I was sitting right there, stopped in my lane. Her eyes got as large as dinner plates when she saw me. I really wished I had a loud air horn right at that moment.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:02 PM

625 posts, read 4,575,079 times
Nice defensive driving Dan Wolf! wow, that would have been plastered to the side of her vehicle.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:01 AM

61 posts, read 268,555 times
Thanks. Yeah, it would've been a bummer to end up in her lap! lol. Back when I first started riding, it really made me realize how little I pay attention in the car sometimes. It's easy to "zone out" while driving somewhere then not remember part of the drive. Not on the motorcycle, though. I think riding has made me a better driver - or at least made me more aware of what other traffic is doing.

Sometimes motorcycles are not seen because of their choice of lane position. For example, if you're following a bus or large truck through an intersection and oncoming traffic is waiting to turn left, you can be seen sooner if you're riding in the left side of the lane instead of the right side. I've heard stories of someone attempting to make a quick left turn into a gap behind a truck and hit a motorcycle who's riding in the right side of his lane. Think of it as three lanes within a lane on the road. You can ride in the left, middle, or right side to be the most visible to other traffic in different situations.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:54 PM

419 posts, read 1,923,016 times
Lot's of good replies from experienced riders here and good advice on how to be safe on the road. I'd just like to add my 2 cents to this thread and a few experiences I've had over the past 40 years of mc riding.

I'll admit that I have been fortunate to have never taken a fall due to cager. The times I've layed my bikes down were due to road conditions and animals crossing my path. However, I've attended many funerals of friends that have died due to those folks that said "I didn't see you". Some of those friends lost their life because they were reckless with their bikes. Guess we all are a tad on the wild side when we get our first bike, I know I was ... but just got lucky (but just how wild can you get with a bike that has a sifter next to the gas tank and has a foot clutch).

IMO riding in a blind spot is dangerous and should be avoided. That will minimize some risk, but not 100%. One experience I had on a busy interstate (within Houston) was that I was in the right hand lane (slow lane). I was in a position that the driver of the car to my left could see me if they were paying attention (driver was on cell phone). I ride defensively and saw her encroching into my lane. I was block in by traffic and my only defense was to slow down to a position of making eye contact with the driver. The only thought that came to mind was to kick her passenger door. Well that worked and her eyes became quite large. She backed off and you could see she through her window her appologe. No one was hurt and we both were educated that day.

The most bazarre situation I have experienced of not being seen on the road was late at night on a Houston highway. I was cruising about 60 when a vehicle pulled up next to me on my right, then another pulled up on my left within a few seconds. The next thing I heard was gunfire coming from the vehicle on my right and then gunfire from the vehicle on the left. I backed off and you could see the fire coming from both vehicles as they speed down the road.

Be aware, stay alert, always be on the defensive, don't ride recklessly and don't drink and ride. And yes, loud pipes do save lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles