Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:12 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Helmets can be rated for both. First there's DOT, which is the Federal standard, then there is Snell, which is beyond the Federal standard.
Yes I know, it was a joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 01:12 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Here is my view on helmets, and I have dealt with dozens upon dozens of riders who have been down on various racetracks at speed in all sorts of crashes. it has been my experience that a modern full face helmet with ANY major certification, whether DOT, Snell, or BSI (the British standard), will fare fine in a crash. I've seen riders with concussions in all those, but for the most part these helmets all did very well. And interestingly enough, as long as it was DOT or Snell (BSI really only applies to Suomy), the cost of the helmet didn't have as much to do with it. In other words, while top end lids like Arai and Shoei were much nicer helmets, lower cost brands like HJC, KBC, and others also fared well. Just FYI.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:21 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
There's been alot of useful tips here, like the Motorcycle Safety class, wearing the right gear, or seeing what "fits" you as far as riding position, etc.

Would also add that you might find it very helpful to look around and maybe get plugged into riding with some other folks in your area. You not only get to share the fun and experience of riding with others, but you also get to learn alot, including being with other kinds of bikes and riding styles as well.

I go on alot of rides with some local groups that include everything from sport-bikes, to cruisers and tourers. It usually works out pretty well, with the "go-fast" crowd ending up farther in front and the rest finding their own pace somewhere behind, and then we all usually end up together somewhere for a bite, along with chatting up bikes!

Last year, a neighbor friend got started riding on a small Kawi Ninja, and after hanging out with everyone on the group rides, along with the different kinds of bikes and riding styles, that gave him a much better sense of what he was really looking for when he was finally ready to "move up" to a larger bike. In his case it ended up finding a good deal on a used BMW sport-tourer (<$4K), but that's just what he figured finally best suited him. And BTW, if you know what you're looking for (and take somebody experienced along with you), actually there are some great deals on used bikes these days. Besides, whatever you get, chances are it won't be your last or "the perfect bike" (which is why alot of us end up with more than one!). Enjoy & good luck (from Northern Cali, by way of WA State)!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:30 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
if you can comfortably fit on the Ninja500, you couldn't ask for a better starter bike. i have a friend about your height and weight that does just fine, but he has a smaller inseam and is mostly torso. it all depends on how you are built.

the SV is another great option but should NOT be viewed as a beginner bike only in that it makes a darn good amount of torque and can get away from you if you're not careful. i'm 6'7" and 320 lbs and my SV (my first bike) would pull the front tire all day long in first gear, and not just by a little bit.

if you want sporty yet comfy, there are no shortage of other options:

1) Ninja 650*

2) Suzuki GSX650F (or for that matter, the good ol' GS500E)*

3) Suzuki Bandit

4) Honda VFR (my current bike, and i LOVE it! i have searched long and wide and have yet to find a bike that gives me so much comfort yet is so much fun)

5) Yamaha FZ1 or FZ6.

6) Triumph Sprint ST

the list goes on and on, but once you start looking, you realize there are a LOT of ways to have your cake and eat it, too. of course, several of the bikes i just mentioned i would NOT suggest as a beginner bike (the ones with an asterisk would probably be fine, though)

don't wear a backpack. get a magnetic tank bag. your back will thank you. i used to have all sorts of pinched nerves in my back from wearing one on my 120+ mile daily commute. the tankbag i bought was the best $80 i have spent on my bike yet.

FWIW, i have only ever bought used and it has served me fine and saved a good amount of money. just use good discretion.

Mike

Old 01-31-2009, 08:32 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If you haven't done so already your first purchase should be a Motorcycle Safety Foundation riding course.

Second purchase should be good, protective riding gear.

I agree the KAW 500 would make a fine first bike, I'd suggest shopping the used market. It's just about a given with a first bike that sooner or later you'll have brain at parking lot speed and drop it.

You may also want to consider something like the Suzuki Burgman(sp?), I know quite a few experienced riders who've been very impressed with this modern scooter.

Feel free to DM me with any questions you might have. I've just entered the 41st year since my first bike and still enjoy it

Old 01-31-2009, 05:03 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,797 times
If you want something with enough power to ride in traffic but little mainentance try a maxi-scooter. The Honda Silverwing 600 and the Burgman 650 are both great bikes and have tons of power, inexpensive and look great. I had two different Honda Helix's (250) that I loved but I want to travel more and just bought a new 09 Silverwing. I know several with that bike and just love it.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:42 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
If you want something with enough power to ride in traffic but little mainentance try a maxi-scooter. The Honda Silverwing 600 and the Burgman 650 are both great bikes and have tons of power, inexpensive and look great. I had two different Honda Helix's (250) that I loved but I want to travel more and just bought a new 09 Silverwing. I know several with that bike and just love it.
Drift is calling it right.....those two machines are the absolute top of the food chain as far as scooters go....great for commuting,putting around the backroads or long distance touring....they'll do it ALL.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:13 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
My recommendation would be to check out the Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. Lots of used late models available, no changes from inception, virtually. There are loads of aftermarket farkles to be had and it's got great v-twin linear power and a very comfortable upright seating position. A real utilitarian bike for not a lot of $$$$ and great for a beginner. JMHO

http://www.motorcycle-talk.com/blog/uploaded_images/DL650-709164.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-09-2009, 06:38 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
The V-Strom is a bike you could keep as a second bike whenever you decide to get something bigger/faster/more comfortable/just different.

20 or 30 years ago it would have been about the king of the hill anyway.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:54 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
i seriously debated getting a V-Strom when i bought my VFR. i still wouldn't mind owning one at some point, although to move my 'robust' frame around, i would have the 1Kcc version. the seating position on that thing couldn't be more comfortable, plus it puts you up nice and high to see over traffic.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles