Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:32 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,655,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
I actually like HD's. I like smokin' them each and every opportunity I get! Such fun to spank these pretenders with true performance and grit. I really don't know who I enjoy more: the "look at me yuppies" on their shiny Road King dressers or the leather clad long hairs on their old Pan and Knuckle Heads...both are great fun to B**** Slap on the twisties and straightaways with my boosted, built and NOS'd VTX!!! With a 160 pounds of torque eating a steady diet of HD products is a requirement for good "rice burner" health!

On the flip side, I do like some recent HD styling changes and technological improvements. Your nameplate is not as antiquated as it once was doc. The V-Rods, not really HD but in the peripheral family, so to speak, are really the only Harley product worth throwing a leg over in my view but this is my choice. I seek performance and style...not measly style and image. HD is mostly just style and image and history. This is not to say some S&S mills cannot perform. The largest S$S motors, not typically used in HD applications, can be obtained in tremendous bikes such as Bourgets, and others. Some can even exceed 200 horse power and that is impressive with pushrods and air cooling! I really like the look of S&S and other clones of this style; beautiful power-plants to be quite sure. Harley stays with the little motors, however, and performance remains pathetic.

Ride whatever you want, doc, your pockets are certainly a lot deeper than those of most of the rest of ours. Hell, buy an OCC original why don't ya and shut us all up!!!!!

Works for me! Our days of acting like that on a sport bike are over, now we just enjoy the ride.

We call people like you cop bait LOL Smoke away!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I can tell you that I personally find many of the Harley riders inconsiderate and they like to wear high waisted jeans.

Well, can you explain why they need to rev them up like they do? They are loud and obnoxious and the have no consideration of others. They get to a stop light and as if their bike isn't loud enough, then they have to rev it up more to make it louder. It is total noise pollution and if it was a kid with a crotch rocket that loud, the cops would ticket them. But because it is chubby middle aged men on Harley's, the cops ignore it.

Today a couple decided to ride right next to me and it was so loud I couldn't even hear my radio. They they just stayed there...right next to me and wouldn't move. I have to move over and speed up to get away from them so I could hear.

I just wish they would stop acting like they are kids and not try to be the loudest thing on the road.

And here's another tip, it is not cool to wear your jeans cranked up to your arm pits. This seems to be a Harley requirement. Before you head out the door with your Harley shirt on and your jeans, turn around and take a look. If your back side looks like one of the guys from the village people, you probably should pull your jeans down a bit. Think hips. Your jeans should be on your hips and not look like you are sporting Mom jeans.

My jeans aren't up to my middle LOL PLUS, it's bad enough that cars look right through riders on the road, nothing better than being seen and HEARD. At least those with loud motors stand a better chance of being noticed and when you are riding you need all the help you can get.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I just dont get Harleys altogether. Whats the point? You pay waaaaaaaay too much to get something waaaaaaaay too heavy and waaaaaaaaay too slow. And many times you have to wait waaaaaay too long to even take delivery. I just dont get it.
The ride isn't always about how fast you go!!! It's often just about the ride itself and enjoying the scenery on a big comfie bike!!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:01 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,214,729 times
If you have to depend on loud pipes to save your bacon, you're in big trouble. An air horn works a lot better, plus you and everyone else don't have to listen to it all the time. I like the way Harleys sound if they aren't over 100 dB at 10 feet.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,313,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
It's often just about the ride itself and enjoying the scenery on a big comfie bike!!
Like a Gold Wing, or a BMW LT, or my Futura, not a glorified paint shaker right?

Old 08-17-2009, 02:19 AM

30 posts, read 84,884 times
When I was getting my 3rd bike, I went to different forums for info. Even the Harley's rag on each other. If a man rides a 883 Sportster, they say it's a girl bike. WTHeck?? I came close getting the NightTrain, Harley, but ended up ended up with Honda. Don't matter what you ride, as long as you ride. Kudos!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:14 PM

That's how I see it. I wave at anything on two wheels.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:35 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,288,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
If you have to depend on loud pipes to save your bacon, you're in big trouble. An air horn works a lot better, plus you and everyone else don't have to listen to it all the time. I like the way Harleys sound if they aren't over 100 dB at 10 feet.
Do you feel the same about loud sport bikes? I,ve heard plenty of those zipping past at about 110 mph/110 db.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 PM

I don't like loud bikes of any genre. And as much as I like high performance machinery, a lot of the people who ride them are squids. If I get the urge to go fast, I find a very lightly traveled road way out in the sticks. And my bike is quiet. The bad PR created by loud pipes and squidly riding does us all a disservice.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:42 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,288,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I don't like loud bikes of any genre. And as much as I like high performance machinery, a lot of the people who ride them are squids. If I get the urge to go fast, I find a very lightly traveled road way out in the sticks. And my bike is quiet. The bad PR created by loud pipes and squidly riding does us all a disservice.
Agreed about the loud pipes of all sorts.

I've often wondered if there should be a horsepower limit based on demonstrable years of riding experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles