Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:07 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,878 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I've been reading some of the old threads here. Seems like some used bikes -- Honda Rebel 450 ('86-'87), Suzuki SV650, possibly Honda Shadow 750 -- would make a good beginner bike that I could learn on but then also keep for a few years. I would really need to log some highway miles in addition to commuting on local 2-lane roads. I am 145 lbs, 5'9" male with some small amount of quad ATV experience, 32 years old. Any suggestions or improvements to the above choices? It would be perfect if I could find a bike to take on the highway with high MPG that could also be a starter bike.

Thanks for any advice. I've done what I can to look at old threads, but would like some specific input.

-N
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 11:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
There are many bikes that could fit you, but you need to narrow it down some. What kind of bike do you like: cruiser, sporty, dual-purpose (road and dirt)? Of the three you mentioned, I'd go with the SV650. But that's just me. The Honda 450 Rebel would be fun to ride too (I once had a Suzuki 450 that was a blast), but it might be hard to find an example not clapped out, and parts might become an issue. The Shadow 750 is probably heavier, although still manageable, but less sporty (therefore more relaxed). So it's all up to what you want.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:50 PM

This is tough to decide, because I don't know how much damage a first-time rider puts on his first bike -- so I don't want to spend a ton (think $5000 or less). The best possible bike would be a dual sport with highway-friendly tires that can actually go on the highway at 65 mph for 1+ hour at a time -- 2+ hours would be awesome; don't know if that exists or would hurt my rear end too much. Range is a huge factor: a bike that can go 150+ miles -- okay, even more than that, say 300+ miles, would be great considering I drive a Honda car. Although dual sport bikes tend to be dressed in plastic, I want classic looks: black paint and chrome is good, plastic not so good. If there has to be plastic, I want it to be black. I would like the ability to attach a windshield of some kind if one is not standard.

Is there anything that fits? I have the feeling I'm being very particular here.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:56 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
You might consider the KLR Kawi 650, but your size will make it harder since it is a dual sport and taller as bikes go. For it's size it is mild mannored.

Your other 3 choices are not real bad, but i would get the idea of interstate riding out of your head for a while, besides all interstates are boring.

If this is a very first bike I can't stress enough to sign up for a motorcycle safty foundation course. That program didn't exist in my day. Teaching yourself like I had to, for no choice allows you to learn things wrong.

What else the MSF can do for you is get your drivers lic. endorsed, bang right now, no DMV tests. Then it can get you a reduced insurance rate.

If you were thinking about no lic at all , do us riders a favor and just don't.

Any fool can ride a bike fast, but learning slower than a walk manovers is where you must be adept.

Try to stay under 500 cc's as a first used bike. They say there is 2 kinds of riders, those who have gone down and those who will. I find a used bike better to learn where you hands and feet should be, than a brand new bike, and infact at age 58, I have never once had a brand new bike yet.

Good luck

A Honda Rebel in 250cc's is faster than a Corvette to 60 MPH, and can go all day long at 65 MPH. Your Honda Car and 4 wheelers are nothing like a bike. The Rebel 250 can be black, will have some chrome, but the chrome don't getcha home, and it can have a windshield, and 2 pair of saddlebags.. These make great city riders too.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
A Honda Rebel in 250cc's is faster than a Corvette to 60 MPH...
Not to derail the thread, but I don't think so! I like small bikes, though. The most fun bike I ever rode was a friend's Ducati 350 Desmo. If they still made them, I'd have one. The thing was fast, looked and sounded great, and weighed 272 pounds (dry).

nico7: The amount of damage a first-time rider puts on a bike (and himself!) is up to the rider. Mac is right about interstates; I avoid them whever possible. Find the squiggly lines on the map. That's where the fun is on a bike!

Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 AM

136 posts, read 423,999 times
Being shorter,I would recomend a Harley Softail !

Old 03-22-2010, 12:33 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
New Honda 700 reviewed in this month's RIDER magazine.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:41 PM

GregW: I like that one myself! I might not be satisfied with the power level after having my V65 Sabre for so long, but it is a beatuful little touring bike. It also has hard bags, etc to damage if it were dropped, though, so for a beginner it might not be the best choice.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:00 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,054 times
your body size is just about what many manufacturers would consider normal for sportbikes, so finding something that fits you should be pretty easy.

if you've already researched, i'm sure you've seen the general warnings about buying something overly expensive, or overly powerful, etc, so i'll save you that speech.

you didn't give us a lot on what kind of bike you would like, but based on you description, it sounds like practicality is the biggest concern. good call. so many times the argument with newbs is getting them to look past the aesthetics of the bike and be more concerned with how the bike works FOR THEM.

so, here goes:

SV650 - always thrown out there as a good beginner bike, a title i only somewhat agree with. yes, it is cheap and parts are abundant. that's always a big pro for starters. BUT, many often tend to not give a bike labeled as a 'starter bike' the respect it deserves. such is the case here. the SV650 is a very torquey bike, and it makes that power very low in the revs. throttle discipline is crucial. they're also known for less-than-stellar brakes, an unfortunately common 'feature' of lower cost bikes. the flipside to all this is that the SV650 is a bike you could ride for years and never get bored with. it's plenty fast, super nimble, and makes a great track bike if you ever really want to hone your skills.

Ninja 500 - the Honda Civic of the bike world. seems like everyone has owned or ridden one of these, and most will tell you it's a great bike. yes, the design is archaeic. yes, it's not a very powerful bike. but, you can't knock the availability, the low price, and the great reliability. it doesn't have the some low end grunt of the SV650, but thatan be a good or bad thing. it's also a much more comfortable bike to ride over long distances.

Honda Nighthawk 750 - great overall bike. neutral seating position, very easy to ride, decent power, and reliable

there's plenty of other choices out there, but these are the ones i have direct experience with. from what i have heard, other great 'beginner' bikes would include:

Ninja650
Yamaha FZ-6R
Suzuki Gladius (replacement for SV650 naked)

you could also look into smaller adventure bikes like the Kawasaki Versys and the V-Strom 650 (aka Wee-Strom). They're great for going long distances, though some would say their top-heavy nature may not make them the most ideal for beginners.

Mike

Old 03-22-2010, 03:43 PM

Guys (and gals?),
Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

I will definitely take a MSF motorcycle safety course before I buy a bike, and I'm not going anywhere without a helmet and the proper safety attire/equipment. If I can get a license endorsement through the course, great -- otherwise it will be through the motor vehicle dept.

Regarding a Rebel 250, I have read in previous posts (here or somewhere) that 250s need to pull over and cool down after doing 55-65mph for any stretch of time. I do like the fact that it's a Honda, and I hear the engine design has been refined over decades. So I like the Rebel, but don't want to be limited by its cruising speed or range or overheating. Are those things really a problem?

Mike, I had not considered a Ninja 500 but will throw that in the mix. I'm not sure I'd be ready for a 750 and it might not get the kind of MPG I'm looking for. But I will go check out the specs on the Nighthawk.

Thanks for the replies, all.
N
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles