Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 12:26 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
--I think many things are there just to mess with people and don't necessarily have a meaning, like the overturned and wrecked red Beetle in the snowstorm Halloran comes across. Kubrick did that just to screw with us, probably. It doesn't mean anything.
Agreed. There lots of people who specuulate what Kubrick might "mean" by the layout of the Overlook, which doesn't make any logical sense. Some of the rooms apparently can't exist compared to other shots.

The critics conclude that Kubrick was a cinematic genius who did all this on purpose to mess with our heads. They offer all sorts of interpretations as to what this might "mean."

But I wonder: Maybe Kubrick just didn't care. He was desiging a shot to be pretty or scary or disturbing. I doubt he took the time to "map out" the entire hotel. That's the kind of thing film nerds do. Not filmmakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 02:21 PM

1,100 posts, read 432,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Agreed. There lots of people who specuulate what Kubrick might "mean" by the layout of the Overlook, which doesn't make any logical sense. Some of the rooms apparently can't exist compared to other shots.
They can't, that argument does hold water and in different cases than Ullman's office I suspect it's intentional and even might agree somewhat. Room 237 is a perfect example. Also how some of the rooms have double doors down the hallways, some don't. Sometimes it seems the rooms are on the second floor, sometimes the first.

Quote:
The critics conclude that Kubrick was a cinematic genius who did all this on purpose to mess with our heads. They offer all sorts of interpretations as to what this might "mean."
He was a genius and did mess with our heads, just not THAT much I don't think. And there are actual mistakes that people try to justify which is absurd. During the first shot showing the Overlook exterior (the real lodge in Oregon, not the set) you can see the helicopter blades from the camera. There is no sane explanation for that NOT being a mistake. There's also an infamous shot of the helicopter's shadow at the beginning credits right before the camera zeros in on Jack driving, but many versions they fixed the film aspect or whatever technicality was there to remove it. Point is, that was also a movie mistake that's absurd to justify as being there on purpose.

Quote:
But I wonder: Maybe Kubrick just didn't care. He was desiging a shot to be pretty or scary or disturbing. I doubt he took the time to "map out" the entire hotel. That's the kind of thing film nerds do. Not filmmakers.
I don't think he really did. I assume he had a general vision for the movie that he accomplished. The movie is endlessly re-watchable. You pick up stuff every time.

For example last watch I noticed the crowd at the huge party seems just a little off (but I couldn't put my finger on it), and sure enough I looked it up (legit source) and they were directed to "mime" interacting which explains it, rather than 100% acting normal like 300 people would look otherwise at a ball/gala/party. Brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies