Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:41 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,378 times

Advertisements

These are mostly ridiculous. "Groundhog Day" is political in any way??? Reminds me of this one "best conservative rock songs" list that inexplicably had both "I Fought the Law" and "Red Barchetta," which are practically the same story told from opposite sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnno74 View Post
Mary Poppins;
Why it's left wing; Most of the Banks family are democratic. Have a listen to Winifred's song, Sister Suffragette. She is joined by her equally feminist house workers. The children are also left wing. As Mary suggests to them, Feed The Birds, tuppence a bag. They plan to go for the charity, only to be stopped by their conservative father, George, who works at the local bank. Michael rebels against George's colleagues who are conservative. As they take his money, Michael, being democratic, sees that as robbery. The other customers sympathise with his troubles and the run on the bank starts.
Later the working class chimney sweeps briefly mention 'vote the women', therefore sympathising with Winifred's feminist policies. Eventually, George learns from his conservative mistakes.
Some say that MP is antifeminist, since Mrs. Banks spends all day at her rallies and never spends time with her family. (If you remember correctly, she ties her ribbon as a kite tail at the end, very symbolic.) Even the moral of Mr. Banks' story is more about spending time with his family, which is hardly a liberal-only position. That said, "Feed the Birds" does bring to mind all the masses of poverty out there (if you haven't heard that song for a while, HEAR IT - it stopped me in my tracks recently), and combined with that other song about owning tea plantations and foreclosures, really makes a strong political statement.

Quote:
Mr Smith Goes To Washington;
Why it's left wing; The fact that Mr Smith plans to start a boy scout group and wins the love from the children, oh and that quote 'love thy neighbour' all demonstrate the stand for left-wing policies.
I only saw this once, but I really don't think securing funds for a boys' camp and trying to navigate Washington's corrupt bureaucracy is exclusively liberals' territory either.

Quote:
To Kill A Mockingbird;
Why it's left wing; A white lawyer defends a black guy, accused of raping a white teenage girl, which we soon discover the man is innocent of. Atticus (the lawyer that is) is at one time referred to as a 'n**ger lover'. (I'm sorry I had to type that)
Well, today I would hope that conservatives and liberals alike would side with Atticus, but I suppose that for its era it was more left-leaning.

______________________________-

"Golden Compass" is an amazing left-wing novel, but from what I've heard the film is absolute crap, just animated bear fights and not much else. It'll be decades before Hollywood gets the balls to film the second and third books in the series, since they are seriously anti-religious.

Surprised nobody's said "Roger and Me," which is an absolutely great film. Though I guess it's not specifically liberal either, it's just against corporations who view great American cities and their working residents as expendable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Big Hollywood » Top 25 Left-Wing Films

This was an excellent series that recently concluded so I thought I would share it here and see if anybody wants to add their own favorite "lefty" films.

John Nolte lists the Top 25 Best Left-Wing films. If you're curious to know why a certain film is "left-wing" click on the link. I hope Nolte follows this series up with a list of the Top 25 Best Right-Wing films (are there any? lol)

I'm shocked 'Avatar' didn't make this list, but maybe Nolte didn't think it was a good enough movie to include here. I know it made a ton of money but I don't know anybody who loved it so much they talked about it for days....unlike the movies listed below.

1. JFK (1991)
The title alone turns me off because I loathe the Kennedys and the media marketing machine behind them. Has anyone seen it? Would you recommend it?

2. Apocalypse Now (1979)
Have seen bits and pieces of it but never saw it in its entirety, what little I saw was too brutal and raw for my tastes. I did see the documentary on the making of this movie and was shocked to see how it nearly killed the actors and director involved.

3. Dances with Wolves (1990)
One of those movies I could watch over and over again, no matter how long it is. I just love it. Kevin Costner pulled an Orson Wells, he debuts a brilliant film and then it was all downhill from there.

4. The China Syndrome (1979)
Never saw it. It has Jane Fonda in it. eew.

5. Planet of the Apes (1968)
See 'Dances with Wolves' comment. Whenever it's on TV I have to watch it. An absolute classic, I still get chills seeing the final scene, and the simian costumes and makeup are superior to today's CGI crap.

6. MASH (1970)
I remember the TV show but never saw the movie. Is it worth seeing?

7. Platoon (1986)
One of the few Oliver Stone movies I really liked. At the time I was too young to understand the liberal slant to it.

8. Norma Rae (1979)
Love it. I love David vs Goliath type movies. 'Erin Brockovich' was a lazy knock-off of these types of movies. 'Norma Rae' seemed grittier and more realistic but maybe that's because most movies of the 70s were like that.

9. Silkwood (1983)
See 'Norma Rae' comment. I loved this movie. Am surprised it's not on TV much. It should be.

10. Dead Man Walking (1995)
I keep meaning to see this movie but always forget about it. Would you recommend it?

11. The Insider (1999)
1999 was Hollywood's last golden year of movies. Genius film.

12. American Beauty (1999)
Of all the movies on this list this is the one I hated the most. Utterly disgusting.

13. Three Days of the Condor (1975)
Never saw it. Hate the title. Another Redford political film, blah.

14. A Civil Action (1998)
Have no interest in seeing.

15. Born on the Fourth of July (1989)
Tom Cruise + Oliver Stone = must miss movie.

16. Missing (1982)
Sounds intriguing. Will look for it next time I'm at the library.

17. The American President (1995)
Eh. Another rah-rah-Clinton movie.

18. Running On Empty (1988)
No interest in seeing it, don't care if River Phoenix is in it.

19. Soylent Green (1973)
Have heard about this movie forever but never saw it. Since it stars Heston I have to see it.

20. Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004)
One of the few pure lefty propaganda garbage films on this list. Michael Moore jumped the shark on this one.

21. Coming Home (1978)
The only movie on this list I never heard of. Is it worth seeking out?

22. Sneakers (1992)
Robert Redford's political activism movies get boring after a while, and the title of this film doesn't make it sound like a door buster does it?

23. Salvador (1986)
Will add to list of movies to see. Anyone seen it?

24. The English Patient (1996)
Beautiful movie for adults. Loved it. Hollywood doesn't make movies for adults anymore.

25. The Day After Tomorrow (2004)
I tend to avoid Roland Emmerich movies like the plague so I won't be seeing this one.
Lol this list is more what you hate then anything else.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:24 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,171 times
Salvador? Honestly, it's hard to root for anyone in that movie except maybe Jim Belushi, and that's saying a lot.

But, IMO, it's a decent film and one I'll generally watch if it's on, which isn't enough. James Woods is electric in it but the dirtbag side of his character is much more in play than his romantic (leftist?) side. He's not into photography for cause, he's looking for money. And the right-wing side is played pretty straight up. But the movie also has a lot of light moments (probably Belushi's best role ever, short of 'About Last Night...').
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies