Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:26 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,018,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Looks like it did well considering the very small market open for it.

Box Office Power of 'Atlas Shrugged' Baffles Insiders - Atlas Shrugged - Fox Nation
Wow, who else but Fox News would try to make this film look like a financial success? No matter what you think of the politics and production values, it's hard to overlook the fact that this film lost half it's box office in its second weekend, despite adding more theaters. I suspect nobody in Hollywod is "baffled".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Looks like it did well considering the very small market open for it.

Box Office Power of 'Atlas Shrugged' Baffles Insiders - Atlas Shrugged - Fox Nation
Looks like Fox is polishing a turd, truth be told. The numbers are exactly as predicted by "insiders" - good per-screen numbers for the opening, as is normal for a dedicated core audience and a limited number of screens.

2nd week-end saw an increase in number of theaters (shows optimism, which I guess is good) and a 50% drop in box office - which can't be spun, even by Fox, into a rosy outlook. This movie has to rally, hard, if it's to make back production costs.

If the trend continues, parts II and III will only be made through somebody's generosity. I'll leave it to others to debate whether that's in Rand's spirit or not...

Old 04-26-2011, 10:27 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Your friends have all seen it already? But it just opens today, and it's still pretty early in the day for them to have seen it and reported back to you. Perhaps you and your friends are all in the movie industry and have seen advance showings. Or perhaps you are just assuming who will like or dislike the movie.

It's easy to dismiss bad reviews, saying those lefty critics didn't agree with the politics, but maybe the movie is just not that good. A book of this stature certainly deserved a bigger budget and more experienced crew. Blaming the critics is like shooting the messenger for bad news.
I was obviously speaking of the book.

But, after seeing the movie, if you liked the book, you'll like the movie.

I stand by my statement that there is no way that a lib/progressive can comprehend it.

It's beyond their ability.

Just like they way I didn't like avatar.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Too bad Ayn Rand didn't "walk the walk". Rand accepted both Medicare and Social Security in her old age. So much for the Libertarian thing. End of discussion.
I didn't realize that she took advantage of something that she didn't pay into......

On the other hand, could it be that she was FORCED to pay into the system?

Could it be that she was NOT a martyr?

Could it be that she, as millions of other Americans, are FORCED to pay into a system that they don't agree with?

Why not collect?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Ummm, this is off topic; but Ayn Rand's philosophy was that of objectivism, not a libertarianism.
Perhaps it would do you good to study up as you seem to have missed an important part of your education.

The Ayn Rand Institute: Introducing Objectivism
Brilliant!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Alphamale, once Rand was no longer working for the studios, she could have structured so she didn't pay into social security. Corporate income is handled differently than wages.

I have no need to argue individual points with you, although I do find you comment on ALL liberals amusing.

Chickpea Soup: Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand, Philosophy

Don't write off sequels due to box office. The secondary markets of video rentals, broadcast, and video sales are still to come. As for what Rupert's Fox puppet "thinks"... I'll refrain from comment for now.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:16 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I stand by my statement that there is no way that a lib/progressive can comprehend it.

It's beyond their ability.

Just like they way I didn't like avatar.
Did I just witness somebody saying that Avatar was beyond his ability to comprehend? That's a first.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have read the book several times, and been waiting, none too patiently for the movie. I saw it last week and really enjoyed it. The actors were well cast, and they followed the theme of the book well. The objectivist message was not watered down. It certainly played well with current events.

My biggest complaint was that it was too short, they cut a lot of background to fit it in the timeframe. They needed to cover more of Rearden's self made background to understand the impact of having most of his business taken from him, and the effort that went into the development of Rearden Metal to understand why it was such a big issue. The same is true of the interaction between Francisco and Dagny...too little background. Much as I normally don't like "flashbacks", this movie could have benefitted from them.

Overall, pretty well done, and if you have read the book and are a fan, it will probably appeal to you. If you've never read the book, I could see where it could be hard to follow.

I'm really hoping they do a director's cut version when it goes to DVD, with some more detail and background.

Oh yes, a director's cut would be marvelous!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:56 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
Yeah limited movie screens here....Advertising has been minimal....I think most Americans are too dumb to watch this let alone read the book...they rather go see Thor

Old 04-27-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Did I just witness somebody saying that Avatar was beyond his ability to comprehend? That's a first.
No.

I comprehend the "big business is bad" theme.

I just can't comprehend why people feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies