Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best War movie of the 90's
The Thin Red Line 6 14.63%
Saving Private Ryan 22 53.66%
Other 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:32 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I'd vote for Thin Red Line as The Most Boring War Movie of All-time!! LOL.

ZZZZZZZZZZ.
I completely agree, Boy. And this is why these so called "awards" are ridiculous.

Best is Saving Private Ryan. I personally liked Welcome to Sarajevo too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 03:06 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Thin Red Line was about people who actually had dimensions and complex feelings, who inspired the audience to think about what was on the screen, and consider war from some other perspective than simply gung-ho blind machismo and God-given American superiority. No wonder it completely sailed over the heads of so many.
I agree. 100%. But then again I feel like that about most great films. Machismo crap and Jingoism still sells, as do overblown special effects etc.. Mainstream films to me tend to suck big time. The more thoughtful films tend to go completely over people's heads it seems.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Cute.

Its okay that we disagree on Thin Red Line. I hated it. Everyone I know who have seen it hated it. This includes folks who are/were special ops, marines, swat members, mixed martial artists, even a few chicks. It just really pales in comparison to other war movies of that period.

Hurt Locker was fantastic, but that is not from the 90s.
Cute ! I know "The Hurt Locker" was not from the 90s. I was comparing "Saving Private Ryan" to it. Nothing more. Oh and i also know that "Battleship Potemkin" or "Das Boot" are also not from the 90s...

Everyone I know who has seen "The Thin Red line" loves it,but then again they are British Army Soldiers so I suppose maybe not quite as warrior like as Americans and as understanding of the true nature of the theatre of War. ...

Old 06-18-2011, 08:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Bottom line. TRL was about the human mind at war. SPR was about the human gut at war.

A discussion about the pictures, over a case of Bud Light:

SPR: It was awesome. These dudes kicked some serious butt to save this guys a$$.

TRL: I didn't get it. What the hell's a Red Line?
-------

Old 06-21-2011, 07:38 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
My all-time favorite war movie is the Russian film Idi i Smotri (Come and See), but I think that was made around '85.

For the '90's I'll go with the german film Stalingrad.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
My all-time favorite war movie is the Russian film Idi i Smotri (Come and See), but I think that was made around '85.
Ya nyet smotri. I'll check it out.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:13 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
When Trumpets Fade left an impression on me, but I don't believe it was shown on the big screen, only on HBO.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Bottom line. TRL was about the human mind at war. SPR was about the human gut at war.

A discussion about the pictures, over a case of Bud Light:

SPR: It was awesome. These dudes kicked some serious butt to save this guys a$$.

TRL: I didn't get it. What the hell's a Red Line?
-------
There is an old phrase about the thin red line protecting a nation or a bevy of soldiers guarding off a heavy attack, referring to the thin red line on the covers of all tan uniformed soldiers or the red coats seen from a distance(not sure which is the exact origin). The term blue line or thin blue line is used similarly with police as the last bulwark against crime and anarchy.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:27 PM

536 posts, read 1,429,675 times
Somebody said Forrest Gump? Not a war movie.

I liked Saving Private Ryan's opening scene as they stormed the beach, as well as the sniper sequence, but the rest I thought was Disney-Hollywood fare typical of Spielberg anyway, so no surprises to me.

Glad you all mentioned Stalingrad. Loved it! Really enjoyed the tank sequences, and the actors were so believable and amazing. Another tank movie I loved was The Beast, but that was 80s. Jason Patric and George Dzundza as Russian tank soldiers in Afghanistan.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:40 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Somebody said Forrest Gump? Not a war movie.

I liked Saving Private Ryan's opening scene as they stormed the beach, as well as the sniper sequence, but the rest I thought was Disney-Hollywood fare typical of Spielberg anyway, so no surprises to me.
Saving Private Ryan made a big impact, because it was really the first big Hollywood World War II film for a generation that didn't sugarcoat the violence and intensity of warfare that a lot of people saw. There were a lot of Vietnam movies from the late 70s and 80s that were dark and violent in how they portrayed war, but for a child of the 80s and 90s growing up, World War II movies shown were usually old John Wayne films on TV with a lot of patriotic talk from the Duke about "How we're gonna win this war".

Saving Private Ryan portrayed D-Day closer to reality of warfare---you never saw guys getting burnt alive or getting their legs blown off in most famous World War II films before that. It subsequently influenced the HBO film Band of Brothers, but also was responsible for a whole new generation of World War II themed shooter video games in the last decade.

But I agree, Saving Private Ryan was a few excellent battle scenes in between a fairly average war movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies