Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:15 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times

Advertisements

I guess that's one of the great things about film, art, novels... everyone sees something different.

I feel like the main characters in Napoleon Dynamite exhibited the opposite of condescending behavior. If anything, the film patronized the popular kids, and was condescending toward the Summer Wheatley crew. I mean, even Kip hooked up with his booty-ful bride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
First of all, because somebody (unnamed) has gone to inappropriate and outrageous lengths to characterize certain successful and productive men as "losers", as well as to pile as many insulting and childish epithets (whiny girlie baby) on them as possible without regard for the suitability of those terms.
You do realize that we are talking about characters in movies, right? There are no actual people being called any names at all.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
wow so many losers - maybe some of those people think your a loser - its rather subjective dont you think ?
Some of the fictional characters in movies think I'm a loser? Didn't read the OP did you?

Old 02-01-2012, 03:54 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
First of all, because somebody (unnamed) has gone to inappropriate and outrageous lengths to characterize certain successful and productive men as "losers", as well as to pile as many insulting and childish epithets (whiny girlie baby) on them as possible without regard for the suitability of those terms.

Only a loser would make a statement like that...

Old 02-02-2012, 05:13 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Cedar Rapids ... I found it mildly amusing.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 AM

19,717 posts, read 20,250,128 times
I haven't seen Rent, but for the most part I usually enjoy movies that are a bit offbeat with loser-ish characters. They are usually much more interesting and entertaining.

*I will say though, there is a huge difference between likeable and unlikeable loser characters...

Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
You do realize that we are talking about characters in movies, right? There are no actual people being called any names at all.
Oh, now I understand. Your problem is the characters who have no analog in real life, they are completely made up personalities, and there aren't any real people who actually exhibit or possess any of those qualities. Like Roger Rabbit, or ET, or Superman, to whom you probably also object, for the same reason. There is, in real life, thankfully, no such thing as a whiny girly baby man, it's all a fictitious construct inflicted on film-goers. I see. Now I get it.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Oh, now I understand. Your problem is the characters who have no analog in real life, they are completely made up personalities, and there aren't any real people who actually exhibit or possess any of those qualities. Like Roger Rabbit, or ET, or Superman, to whom you probably also object, for the same reason. There is, in real life, thankfully, no such thing as a whiny girly baby man, it's all a fictitious construct inflicted on film-goers. I see. Now I get it.
Yes, whiny little girl baby men do exist in real life. Enough of them in fact that I don't feel I need to see them portrayed in movies. I understand that you like little girl whiny baby men and feel a need to defend them. That is your choice.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Yes, whiny little girl baby men do exist in real life. Enough of them in fact that I don't feel I need to see them portrayed in movies. I understand that you like little girl whiny baby men and feel a need to defend them. That is your choice.
That's just my nature. Defending fits my style better than attacking, especially if it's just harmless people minding their own business. There are plenty of rapists and pillagers and sociopaths and macho male supremacists and bullies in real life, too, I don't have to see them in the movies either, but I guess there are enough moviegoers with rape fantasies and pent up barbarity who do, so I allow for art to reflect all of the human prism.

I understand from your previous post that you have no objection whatsoever to any of those real life whiny girly baby men, but only to seeing them portrayed as characters in movies. So I guess in real life, you would also defend them, since they don't seem to be doing any harm.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-02-2012 at 04:07 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
That's just my nature. Defending fits my style better than attacking, especially if it's just harmless people minding their own business. There are plenty of rapists and pillagers and sociopaths in real life, I don't have to see them in the movies either, but I guess you do.
Yes, the worst kind of movies have all three of those and whiny cry baby little girl men. Now that would be a bad movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies