Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:41 PM

841 posts, read 2,476,227 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me the difference between the 2009 and the 2011 versions? I saw the 2009 earlier this year and it was a very good movie...I am wondering why a remake so soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 01:42 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
It's not really a remake per se. The book was hugely popular, and the movie studio assumed (rightly or wrongly) that a lot of Americans won't see a foreign movie with subtitles so they made an English-language adaptation.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 PM

841 posts, read 2,476,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's not really a remake per se. The book was hugely popular, and the movie studio assumed (rightly or wrongly) that a lot of Americans won't see a foreign movie with subtitles so they made an English-language adaptation.
Thanks! I had forgotten that the older version had subtitles. This will be interesting..to see which one is better. The first one was pretty good..but this one seems to be getting lots of good reviews also.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I don't think anybody who has read the book will ever want to see the film. I don't.

But then, that goes for nearly all great books.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:54 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
I still have yet to figure out where I my copy of the first and second books, and haven't read the third yet.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:04 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
I saw the last two movies, but not the first, so I'm kind of wondering if it seeing this new version of the first of the series might not be too off putting. The first actress kind of grew on me.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:03 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't think anybody who has read the book will ever want to see the film. I don't.

But then, that goes for nearly all great books.
Given that both the books and the original movies were immensely popular I think there is a flaw in your logic. I'm positive that many people who enjoyed the book saw the movie as well.

I understand where you are coming from, though. When Narnia came out, I made sure to see the movie first and then read the books again for the first time in twenty some years. Had I read the books first, I wouldn't have enjoyed the film at all. As it was, the movie still wasn't great but not terrible either.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
I read all three books and saw the English language movie yesterday. Thought it was a very good interpretation but I haven't seen the Swedish versions yet. I read they are much more graphic (Lisbeth's rape for example) so I'm wimping out a bit but I'm sure I will watch them eventually. I hope they do the other two books in English too as all the actors (except maybe Robin Wright) were excellent in their roles.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:26 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
FWIW on remakes - Hollywood is a money machine. You can just about bet that any film popular in Europe that might appeal to U.S. audiences will get remade to reap the profit. It really is as simple as that. I remember "Tall Black Man With One Red Shoe" and a few other French films from the 1970s that got the Hollywood skin. Most failed miserably from a spontaneity standpoint, but still made money.

The Swedish three films are very good, IMO. Rented them a month or two back. The first one is "rough," but within the needs of the plot.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:17 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
FWIW on remakes - Hollywood is a money machine. You can just about bet that any film popular in Europe that might appeal to U.S. audiences will get remade to reap the profit. It really is as simple as that. I remember "Tall Black Man With One Red Shoe" and a few other French films from the 1970s that got the Hollywood skin. Most failed miserably from a spontaneity standpoint, but still made money.

The Swedish three films are very good, IMO. Rented them a month or two back. The first one is "rough," but within the needs of the plot.
If not for the fact that I haven't seen the Swedish version of the first movie, I probably wouldn't even have much interest in seeing the American version. They didn't have TGWDT at my library, which is where I picked up the others in the series. I'll probably see the first in it's original, (Swedish) form first. I guess I'm more interested in Daniel Greigs Roll in the movie at this point.

Maybe I'll open my mind and see US versions when they come out by that time I might not feel so vested in the original actors, they're still kind of raw in my mind since I only saw, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest and TG Who Played With Fire, about a month or so ago. I hadn't any idea the hollywood version was coming out much less had been in production all this time. I was kind of shocked when I started seeing the trailers. For some reason, I was thinking a continuation in the series. I never got around to reading the books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies