Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 03:44 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,965 times

Advertisements

I don't usually post new threads but this film deserves it.

I'm talking about Michel Hazanavicius' The Artist, a story about a Valentino-esque (who looks a bit like Douglas Fairbanks but even more handsome) movie star of the silent era, told the way the silent era would have told it.

Jean Dujardin, whose work here is nothing short of amazing, was deservedly awarded the prize for Best Actor at the Cannes Film Festival and I really can't understand why the film didn't win the Palme d'Or (which went to The Tree Of Life). The actors and actresses appearing here alongside him are all charming, particularly Bérénice Bejo (whose face is full of magic) and John Goodman.

The movie itself, beautifully shot in black&white, all faces and music and silence, is a joy to watch. It makes you truly understand what the fuss was about, why all those silent Hollywood movie stars were adored by people and those old flicks made everyone burst in laughter, cry and fall in love with that young (and still innocent) form of artistic expression which had a powerful industry behind.

I won't reveal details of the story, but when the film ended there was a long ovation, as if waiting for the actors to show up. Which is what Hollywood is, or used to be many decades ago, about.

The industry could never have hoped for a better tribute, in my opinion.

The trailer:

Last edited by noela; 11-24-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 10:09 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times
My daughter (she's a Film Major) and I went to see it this past Friday. I agree with you! It was truly brilliant. The acting, directing and the attention to detail all were superb! And as my daughter explained many of the camera techniques were very authentic and true to how things were filmed during the Silent Film era.
Loved this movie and hope it gets recognized at the Academy Awards

Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
My daughter (she's a Film Major) and I went to see it this past Friday. I agree with you! It was truly brilliant. The acting, directing and the attention to detail all were superb! And as my daughter explained many of the camera techniques were very authentic and true to how things were filmed during the Silent Film era.
Loved this movie and hope it gets recognized at the Academy Awards
I'm sure it will! I don't want to be too optimistic, but it could be a Best Motion Picture, Best Actor and Best Original Screenplay nominee. The wonderful cinematography and direction might be recognized, too. Your daughter is right, and that air of authenticity made the movie even more charming.

Although it's a French movie, it doesn't look like it and it's "in English", so that shouldn't be a problem at all

Old 11-28-2011, 02:08 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
I saw the review on Ebert at the movies. They both had problems with it but both gave it a thumbs up. It looks interesting. I put it on my netflix.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:32 AM

12 posts, read 21,216 times
its sound interesting

Old 12-10-2011, 11:36 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
Looks like a must see!

Old 12-12-2011, 12:21 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Just saw it, and it lived up to my expectations. Occasionally predictable, but clever, enjoyable, and, well, "peppy." There may be some Oscar nominations, but I'd be surprised if it got any major awards, since so far, winners seem to be all over the lot, including some odd choices like The Descendants.

I'd like to read some in-depth reviews to see what film references I missed.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:08 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'd like to read some in-depth reviews to see what film references I missed.
I know I missed some (a couple of which are included in the below review). It was a wonderful film!
The Artist review (2011) Jean Dujardin -* Qwipster's Movie Reviews

Old 12-30-2011, 08:20 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
We saw The Artist last night at a local independent theatre...and we loved it! When the movie was over, the audience applauded. Two thumbs up!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:08 PM

668 posts, read 994,636 times
Agreed with all the sentiments posted above. I went into it thinking I would have a hard time watching a silent film but I really enjoyed it. And man, I think I'm going to have to check out Berenice Bejo's past films. I could watch her all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies