Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Woody smut monger or genius?
Woody is a great actor and director 26 54.17%
Don't get it 5 10.42%
Get about as many as I don't get. 8 16.67%
Pervert 9 18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:41 PM

485 posts, read 1,314,288 times

Advertisements

Your opinion please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 02:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I try to remove my feelings about his personal life from how I judge his work (but it's not easy!)
Anyway, I voted "I get about as many as I don't get."
Some of his stuff moves me, much of it really cracks me up, but sometimes his work can be a bit of a yawner.
Some faves:
Sleeper
Hannah and Her Sisters
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Not so much:
Deconstructing Harry
Mighty Aphrodite

Old 08-06-2008, 04:59 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
He's made a few real classics. He's made a couple of real smelly messes. And he's made some that were just so-so.

He hasn't made a really good movie in a long time though.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:29 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,803 times
I agree with Mark S.

There are some that I've really liked. Some that I havent liked at all. And others that have been ok. So I guess I'm in between.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:33 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
I wish your survey was a little different, great director-yes, actor-??? weeelll hes just always Woody. We wouldnt want to see him as Hamlet now would we ? Love his movies, no apology. Perhaps because I was an Irish Catholic in love with a NYC jewish intellect many years ago, or maybe I just find him clever and entertaining.Dont know, but when he has a movie out, I pay attention. And Yes, the Mia/daughter thing =totally creepy, but I try not to judge or enter any opinion of celebrity life, they are all from another planet.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,162,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I try to remove my feelings about his personal life from how I judge his work (but it's not easy!)
Anyway, I voted "I get about as many as I don't get."
Some of his stuff moves me, much of it really cracks me up, but sometimes his work can be a bit of a yawner.
Some faves:
Sleeper
Hannah and Her Sisters
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Not so much:
Deconstructing Harry
Mighty Aphrodite
I agree about his personal life - it's hard to seperate the two. Also agree with your faves and hates. I'd add for faves Annie Hall, and hates Scoop!

P.S. I voted pervert! He married his then wife's adopted daughter - gross!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
And Yes, the Mia/daughter thing =totally creepy, but I try not to judge or enter any opinion of celebrity life, they are all from another planet.
Right. It was totally creepy. But many great composers were total bastards. Many great painters were complete wack-jobs. Same with writers. I know of at least one fantastic film director still working today who is a completely despicable human being --- but his films are awesome.

You have to separate the art from the artist. The art should stand on its own. If the artist is even in the picture, he isn't very good at his job.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
I cant get over the fact he does his daughter.

I really dont think hes that funny.
I just think of all my jewish friends freaking out. They are way funnier...And dont marry thier kids.

asdhgashdg

Old 08-07-2008, 07:53 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"I prefer his earlier, funnier films..." (from Stardust Memories)

Woody hooked up with, but did not marry, Farrow in 1980. Soon-yi was about 10 at the time and had been adopted by Farrow with Andy Previn.

A line from wikipedia pretty much sums up the concept that this was not a normal mother-daughter relationship between Farrow and Soon-yi.

"Farrow said of Soon-Yi: "She was on the streets in Korea when she was captured and brought to the state orphanage. And in a way I can see from her perspective — a very limited perspective — that she's improved her situation. For a little orphan kid from Korea ... Perhaps she's not to be blamed." In a widely circulated quote, Soon-Yi dismissed Mia as "no Mother Teresa."" Another line in the wiki, seems to confirm that: "Farrow married German-American Jewish pianist André Previn in 1970. His former wife, songwriter Dory Previn, blamed Farrow for his leaving her and wrote a scathing attack in a song entitled "Beware of Young Girls"."

For people who look at Allen having a relationship with an adopted daughter while in a loving relationship with the mother, the concept is repulsive and creepy. Chances are the folks who see this came from traditional families, with core values of commitment. The show business reality is more commonly one of marriages and relationships for status, business reasons, and convenience rather than commitment. It was at least the third time around for both Mia and Woody, and they weren't committed enough to marry. The tragedy is that when Woody finally did find his muse, it happened to be the odds-out adopted daughter of Mia. Had she been a complete outsider, it would have just been another show business chapter.

What I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding is that the truly creative people don't get to be creative by constantly following the rules, whether those rules are the rules of the current art, of society, or anything else. They often live at or over the edge, and bring back insight that is otherwise missing to the mainstream. That insight is as valued as the rare spices brought back by outrageous explorers in the middle ages. The royalty valued the spices, even if they held the explorers in some disdain.

The bottom line is that Allen has brilliant wit and facility with the language, and a capability of introspection. For him to be able to expose his unprotected underside (prior to Farrow) was remarkable. For him to continue to do so afterward is even more so. I find him an interesting and somewhat self-torturing character.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:03 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,949 times
I've seen the following:

What's Up, Tiger Lily? - B+
Take The Money & Run - A-
Bananas - B
Manhattan - B-
Annie Hall - A-
Scoop - B+

So I like most of what I've seen, which is not all that much. When I'm watching his movies I never think about his weird situation with his stepdaughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies