Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Good to know... I just bought it off the Apple store and am downloading it to watch tonight.

Wish me luck...
So...what did you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 04:26 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Just saw The Conjuring this weekend, made me jump & scream a lot, and I had a nightmare about ghosts that night lol. Definately 2 of the scariest movies I've ever seen, yet I don't think Conjuring even comes close to Sinister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Good to know... I just bought it off the Apple store and am downloading it to watch tonight.

Wish me luck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
So...what did you think?
I enjoyed it... but I didn't find it all that scary. Did I jump? About 8 times.

I don't often watch horror movies unless they get good reviews... which this one did. The last one I saw was Paranormal Activity and that movie creeped me out so much I haven't ever watched any of the sequels.

The Conjuring was nicely done and IMHO a great haunted house movie... but to me the Exorcist was much more scary.

Now I'm tempted to watch Insidious since they were done by the same director.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:45 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,394,691 times
Spartacus is pretty scary.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:55 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I can't believe I forgot to mention one of the scariest movies, and the mother of all today's zombie flicks: The Night of the Living Dead.

This B/W movie (don't watch the colorized version), set in the Pittsburgh area was very realistic and had a "newsreel" feel to it. IMO, nothing ever matched this movie, not even its director's sequels.

Pick up the original if you can; it's becoming harder to find every year.

The grainy black and white photography along with the almost constant voice-over from the television gives it a documentary feel as though it was really happening and a guy with a camera just happened to be there to record it. Still scary.

When I finally saw "The Exorcist", I had to wonder what all the fuss was about. Totally non-scary. I guess you have to be Roman Catholic for it to have any effect.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:33 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
The Banshee chapter was another one. Ted Levine starred in it. creepy, weird and unique story.

The Tunnel and The Descent were great claustrophobic horror films in underground locations.

The Fourth Kind
also. It was filmed in a manner contrasting supposed actual events, But the scenes showing the phenomena were scary. Fire in the sky also-You will never look at little aliens the same again after the last act.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:59 PM

2,322 posts, read 923,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post
As an aside, I'll say that while I certainly enjoy scary movies, it is really hard for me to want to see any new ones these days because I feel as though I've seen the whole thing in the previews/commercials/internet ads we get inundated with. I already know when all the "scary" parts are coming which defeats the purpose!.
I try to avoid watching the trailer for horror flicks just for this reason. I recall watching a movie and thinking that they hadn't gotten to a very scary part that I remembered from the trailer, only to have the part I was waiting for be the actual ending of the movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post
One exception was when "The Ring" came out. I was a freshman in college and was detached from a lot of media, never saw a preview, so I had no idea what I was getting into when I sat down in the theater...the root of all fears is the unknown and I wish more movies were promoted with the "less is more" type of advertising! They are their own worst enemy sometimes.
Yes. I went to see The Blair Witch Project during an advance two week limited release in a small theater in NYC. In the lobby and near the concession stands were several approximately 5-foot cardboard blow ups of newspaper clippings and articles explaining the mysterious disappearances of the filmmakers. I sat through the whole movie thinking that this actually occurred and didn't find out until I was walking out of the theater with a friend and he asked me what I thought. When I told him how scary and eff'ed up that was, especially the hands on the walls, he told me it was just a movie. I loved going in blind 'cause my reaction was visceral. Too bad they don't adopt that less is more philosophy you speak of and too bad I have zero willpower to keep me from watching the trailers

Old 12-19-2015, 02:18 PM

2,322 posts, read 923,655 times
There are a lot of good scary movies, many of them repeated in the replies in this thread. The ones that affect me the most are stories like the first three:

Wrong Turn
The Hills Have Eyes
You may not live in a haunted house and you may not be possessed at this time, but it is feasible that you can get in your car, go for a drive, break down in the desert(if you live near the desert) and be hunted by in-bred cannibals.

I Saw The Devil (2010)
Quote:
A secret agent exacts revenge on a serial killer through a series of captures and releases.
The Ring - didn't like this one at all. Saw it once in the theater and started to watch at home, then I bailed. Once was enough.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:57 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Alien has to be somewhere in the conversation for one of the scarier movies ever.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:30 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Alien has to be somewhere in the conversation for one of the scarier movies ever.
My favorite. A mix between a Sci-fi and a horror.

The Thing with Curt Russel was good
and
Black Friday (I think an old 1970's but a good one!)

Old 12-21-2015, 08:52 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,785 times
fried green tomatoes
notting hill
dirty dancing
pretty woman
mystic pizza
sleepless in seattle
the notebook

all these make me physically ill, sweats, crying fits, hiding in the basement closet from the wife and her damned bowl of pop corn/bottle of wine
ooh the horror
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies