Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 01:51 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,121,615 times

Advertisements

I saw a clip for it this morning and OMG does sally field look like Mary Todd Lincoln and to be honest they did a wonderful job with Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln himself . wow the clips blew me away .. I wonder if they will go into Mary Todd Lincolns mental illness much ?? Im just wanting to see it . That will most likely be the only movie I see at the theater this year. I will tell you if the theaters had to depend on me they would go broke . I know I have not gone to see a movie in a theater in five years !!! I guess Im just not a big movie goer .

Last edited by phonelady61; 09-21-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 12:05 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,155,729 times
It looks very good, And Daniel is a terrific actor. Glad to see a film about Lincoln that looks well done. And not with him hunting vampires. Not that it's not interesting but people should learn more about the founding of this country.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:08 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,710,579 times
I'm looking forward to it, too.

Did you see Conspirator, a couple of years ago? Have you never been interested in movies, or have you lost interest over the years?

Old 09-22-2012, 02:33 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,981,170 times
I can't wait to see this one.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:49 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,922,571 times
Sally Field looks like Mary Todd Lincoln - but she surely doesn't sound like her in the clips I've seen (and heard): WAY too heavy Deep South accent for an educated, cultured native of the central Kentucky Bluegrass, such as Mary, who was born and raised in Lexington, belonged to a prominent family, and was extremely well-educated for a young woman of her time. Alas, what I heard in the previews is not how Lexingtonians talk, and there's little evidence such an accent was ever typical of Lexingtonians of the past.

Older central Kentuckians, whose numbers are dwindling each day, do occasionally drop "r"s from the ends of some words, but not consistently, and that accent is increasingly rare any more. But the slight twang, rhythm and melody of educated Kentucky speech appear to have been around for quite a while, and there's no reason it could not have been included in this film, just as it was in Ken Burns' "The Civil War" and in other quasi-documentaries which included Mary Todd Lincoln.

They seem to have gotten Abraham Lincoln's vocal tones and accent absolutely right - too bad they didn't pay a little more attention to Mary's, as well. Whoever provided vocal coaching for Sally Field in this role should have visited the Bluegrass, or at least listened to old recordings of central Kentuckians, and got it right. I had high hopes but found her accent very distractingly wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies